Hey, Greenie…!

Posted by: steveg

Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 03:32 AM

That was my nickname all through Jr. and Sr. high school. And 50 years ago today, as I was walking home from school along Great Plain Ave. in the Boston suburb of Needham, a car driven by one of my friends slowed down as it drove by me, and both he and his passenger yelled out to me…

Hey, Greenie… somebody shot Kennedy! They think he's dead!

I just stopped where I was and tried to process that information for a few seconds, and then broke into a dead run. And I kept running for two miles 'til i got home, where my mother was sitting at the kitchen table, crying. The TV was on in the living room and I just dropped down on the couch and watched. Stunned. My father, who had closed his factory and sent his employees home early, arrived a short time later, and he and my mother just sat motionless and speechless at the kitchen table for an hour.

I remember the smallest details. For those of you who are old enough, where were you and what were you doing when you heard the news that day?
Posted by: MrB

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 05:03 AM

I was walking across the oval of Pittsburg State University going to chemistry class. A couple of friends stopped us to tell us. I think my response was "No Shiit!"

Went on to class. The prof came in and confirmed the news. He dismissed class. I went back to my dorm, packed my bags and went home. Dad was glued to the TV . Very concerned that some other troubles would follow.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 06:08 AM

Where was I on November 22, 1963 at 12:30 PM?

I was in sophomore English class and we were reading humorous essays we had written as a class assignment. We were laughing it up and having a good time when a teacher next door came and ask "how can you all laugh at a time like this?"
We looked at her with confusion and ask what are you talking about?
She then told us that Kennedy had been shot and was probably dead. We were all stunned.

Apparently the school had come over the PA system and told everyone in the school but us. Our room was at the end of a long wing of the school and either they didn't get our switch flipped to activate our speaker or there was a short in it, but we never got the message.
Of course arrest the class was surreal. Of course our teacher started crying. Many of the girls in the class started crying. The guys didn't want to damage their egos so we just, sucked it up and look solemn.

My next class at 5th period was chemistry. we had a hour exam scheduled and the teacher made us take it!! We ask her why because we're also miserable and confused, and she said it would help take our minds off of the tragedy. We don't know if you ever counted the test, as I'm sure we didn't perform as well as we could have, but she made us take. I don't even remember what it was over! That shows you how well we were focused.

Anyway that's my story. there always events that mark our lives and we know exactly where we were and exactly what the conditions were like. The Kennedy assassination is one, the space shuttle disaster another, announcing the death of Elvis Presley, and of course 9/11. Those are milestones that mark our lives.

Posted by: Pirate

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 06:37 AM

In Mr. Clarks history class, school put the broadcast over the pa system
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 07:01 AM

I was in my last year of Junior High (MiddleSchool).
I was cutting gym class.. blush .. secreted in
the dis-used stairwell in the back of the gym,
sitting on a stair, reading a Kurt Vonnegutt book...

When the announcement came I was so stunned I
opened the door and walked out onto the gym floor.
The teacher was so stunned, she never even noticed.

The first thought that flashed into my head was;
"Aw, Crap... We're about to go to War with Russia."
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 07:45 AM

I was in third grade, they broadcast it over the PA. I remember listening to it but don't really remember much detail being only 8 years old.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 08:07 AM

I was only one year old.. so I only got the jist of it years later.

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 09:02 AM

Looks like nothing's changed. shocked grin laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 09:11 AM

To me it was just another event in the course of our lives. I was gravitated to the events but his death never affected me. I knew we, as a country had another president. I didn't know him personally so I never felt anything personally. I know many are affected by politicians dying but I'm not.

The same when Reagan was shot. I never worried he would die.

I think back on other events that had many deaths an lament on that often, as Pearl Harbor and the Twin Towers.

Politicians don't bother me much. Except, of course the current one. I have worried from the first about the possible attempt on his life. Afraid it might happen. If it did we, as a nation, would be in for some rough times. Times we possibly would not survive as a nation.

Dave

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 09:29 AM

Dave,

I remember the rumors going school /town around after JFK was shot. Would Texas have to seceed? Would the state be held responsible? He was the first since the 1890s to be assinated... we didn't know all the ramifications for many days, weeks. Very unsettling for a teenager.
I know better now, BUT . . I worry it can reoccur esp with the hostile political climate. It's not like some can disagree politically now... one side in particular has to make the other side out to be Evil, anti-American, foreign, anti-religious, communist, ... unhuman . Once you do that (like a certain group in Germany did) you can justify ANY action or consequences against them- including death. Sorry, the GOTP has become very intolerant, and visceraly mean. (perfect example is this filibuster mess).
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 09:41 AM

Quote:
Politicians don't bother me much. Except, of course the current one. I have worried from the first about the possible attempt on his life. Afraid it might happen. If it did we, as a nation, would be in for some rough times. Times we possibly would not survive as a nation.

Odd.... I would think people in 1963 were thinking the same thing.
Potential war with Russia... issues with Cuba (62)... Nuclear threats...

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Quote:

Odd.... I would think people in 1963 were thinking the same thing.
Potential war with Russia... issues with Cuba (62)... Nuclear threats...

They were and there was LOTS of push back against JFK, and many of his programs... SOS that's happening today but I will say Today is even worse. frown

You could disagree with the GOP then and not be labeled an anti-American, communist, muslim terrorist, evil, atheist baby killer !! shocked

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 10:03 AM

Growing up in the Nuclear Age...
with school drills that taught us to "DUCK & COVER"
Hide beneath our desk, seated in rows in the hallway
arms wrapped around our head, instructed that WHEN
we saw the First FLASH to fall to the ground as close
to the curb as possible to allow the Shock Wave to
blow "HARMLESSLY" over our supine body..etc etc etc
as we watched with bated breath as the "Cuban Missile
Crises" swirled around our little kid's head & psyche,
all the time aware that the missiles in Cuba were from
"You-Know-Who" from "You-Know-Where" my first gut
reaction was really not all that far fetched.

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 10:17 AM

Nope. In '63 we were all preoccupied with tail fins and chrome. wink
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 10:59 AM

I was in college and shared an upstairs apartment with 3 other guys on that day. Our landlady came rushing up to tell us Kennedy had been shot and invite us down to watch the news on their TV. Being pretty much apolitical, and not caring much for the whole Camelot nonsense, I wasn't particularly concerned. Then I packed a bag and headed for home to spend some time with my future wife.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Hey, Greenie…! - 11/22/13 02:44 PM

Sixth grade here. When I heard about it, we were in square dance formation in the phys ed class. This was Miami when Miami was still a good ol' southern town, so square dancing was on the menu at least once a week. Alemain left to your partner!

My reaction? Well, keep in mind that I am a Cuban exile. Cuban exiles didn't, and still don't think too highly of Mr. Kennedy, so my response was sadness but not overwhelming sorrow. Looking back at the whole presidency, I'm inclined to agree with Lea in the other thread she started.