Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 03:15 PM

Same advice I offered Marv;
"Duck N'Cover" & Be Prepared to
'Bug-Out' @ the 1st Sign of Trouble! frown

Is there a Shelter near by?
(Justin Case) whistle
Posted by: steveg

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 03:31 PM

Oh crap. Warning sirens going off, alerts coming in on my phone, wind picking up. And it's dark and raining so I can't see a f'n thing. Damn! eek
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 03:40 PM

GRAB YOUR INSURANCE POLICY*
AND RUN! cry

...and your 3 1/2 legged Cat

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 03:48 PM

Weather.gov

Posted by: Mike

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Oh crap. Warning sirens going off, alerts coming in on my phone, wind picking up. And it's dark and raining so I can't see a f'n thing. Damn! eek

Yup, that's pretty much what was happening here all afternoon! That wind was just howling for a few minutes and what few leaves were still on my maple trees are now gone, most of them in the neighbor's yard.
Some people here in Illinois were not so lucky. In a small town about 20 miles from where I live two people were killed.
Washington, Illinois got hit pretty bad!

Illinois tornado

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 04:18 PM

Whew. Seems to have passed and the warning expires in a half hour. The storms always charge in from the west, and the last close call the year before last brought major hale. I had to replace a window in my daughter's bedroom and every screen on the western facade of my unit. And the roofing and siding guys were still working into last summer throughout the area. Bleh... I'll take a nor' easter over this crap any day.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 05:13 PM

Stay safe Steve !

Reminds me of a poster my brother told me about.... has Glenda the Good Witch of the North on it smiling... the caption reads .. " Don't make me come over there and drop a house on you , Bitch !!" laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 06:24 PM

I didn't see this until now, and by now the threat is over for you. I lived in IL for a while, and know how unnerving the watches and warnings and the wind and hail can be. We never went through a tornado while we were out there, but straight line winds, yes--and they were frightening enough. Glad you're ok, man.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 06:38 PM

Boom boom boom, out go the lights.

Well not really boom boom boom, just a lot of wind, some rain and then, poof. My block and a couple of blocks over are the only ones in the hood that are out. Only 82 affected by the outage on these few blocks, 1600 in the county. Not many out, but we're not exactly a priority probably. Sometimes all of this data we get from the Internet actually comes in handy when used right.

Let's hear it for smart phones, carry out food, and a couple of nice battery powered fluorescent lamps.

The only downside is trash day is tomorrow and I finally got motivated a couple of weeks back and started sorting out massive amounts of stuff in the basement to trash, with extreme prejudice. Stuff I've moved for years and never even opened the boxes. LOL. Trash day is tomorrow. I got about half done of my goal for the day of moving stuff out to curb. Timing is everything. Basements at night without lights are kind of dark. Will have to finish by candlelight. Or fluorescent light.

Going to pick up some oriental and entertain myself on a. 3.5" screen. Beats no screen. grin
Posted by: Papa

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 06:57 PM

Do you have a regular oriental friend or will this be a one night stand.?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/17/13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
Generally stays all night, but leaves very quickly in the morning.

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: Papa
Generally stays all night, but leaves very quickly in the morning.

...by the back door...? blush

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 02:40 AM

QUESTION:

This is sumpthin' I'd never seen before..
..maybe you can explain it for future use:

THAT WEATHER MAP Above... from WEATHER.Gov

I copy/pated it from a "View Image" page
..same as any .gif of .jpeg.. and linked
it as a convenient clickable Enlargement..

WHAT SHOCKED ME WAS THAT THE IMAGE UPDATED
as the weather changed throughout the night

I ain't nebber seen nothin' do that before shocked

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 03:04 AM

I got lucky. There was wind damage and power outages all around me last night, but my 'hood was evidently unfazed. I'll be doing my AM walk in a while, so I'll see what happened in my little corner of the cosmos.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 03:10 AM

Glad you are okay. Hope your neighborhood faired the same

Dave

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 06:03 AM

Yeah..
..often outages (especially wind related)
are local events = Downed Trees that snagged
the Power Lines ( frown & Cable) on the way down.

Weirder when "A Squirrel Gets-It"... shocked
(gets electrocuted by touching the pole
and a Transformer at the same time. *POW*!

ZZZZT Blinding Blue FLASH *BANG*
and the whole namb beiborhood blinks out. cry
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Toto? Toto!! - 11/18/13 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I got lucky. There was wind damage and power outages all around me last night, but my 'hood was evidently unfazed. I'll be doing my AM walk in a while, so I'll see what happened in my little corner of the cosmos.

I only lost a couple shingles and my flagpole got bent, which is odd. I am out in the open due to farm fields and when the wind comes from the west, I really feel it. I still have lots of leaves on the trees and they are still there! However, things could be so much worse.