Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent

Posted by: Acumowchek

Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 10/31/13 07:35 PM

After 3 years, we finally have a wonderful neighbor renting upstairs.
After 6 months, she's moving.
$1,550 for an attic. OMG.
I have no idea what our millionaire landlords are thinking, but no one, or couple, is going to be able to afford an attic at that price.
Have I told you how much I love California?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 10/31/13 08:20 PM

The last apartment that my wife and I rented in Cambridge, MA, went from 450 per month to 850 per month from one day to the next--and this was back in 1982, when 850 was real money. We moved asap. The problem we faced was that we had five cats. Have you ever tried to talk to an apt. owner and said, "We would like to move in, but how do you feel about five cats moving in with us?" Not easy. We tried all sorts of tricks--we got down to Platonic essences as one point: "how do you feel about cat." Finally we started inviting potential landlords/ladies to check out the apartment where we were living, and one of them though that we did pretty well for having five cats, and she rented out an apt. to us--the next town out from Boston, Arlington, in a neighborhood that at the time was pretty reasonable. I suspect that nowadays it's not reasonable. Last time I was in Boston, I checked out rental values. Yikes! I don't know how people afford to live there.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 10/31/13 08:41 PM

This room cost $2,000 a month
You can believe it, man, it's true
Somewhere there's a landlord laughing till he wets his pants

Lou Reed - Dirty Boulevard

I will miss him.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 02:50 AM

You can all consider yourselves lucky that you don't live in NYC. I rented a small loft in Manhattan from 1999 - 2003 (Al, you and your family visited a time or two). 1,000 sq ft — basically one big open room with a galley kitchen, W/D hookups, one bath and one closet! $3,300/mo!!! shocked

And speaking of Boston, yeah, I check the apartment listings every few weeks because, by hook or by crook, I plan to move home in a year or two. But for a Boston area rental, I'll have to pay at least double what my mortgage and HOA fee, combined, are in Dayton! sick
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 04:08 AM

These prices are insane in renting places now in California. Complete ripoffs.

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 04:56 AM

oh yeah--NYC is worse than Boston. Salaries in Boston don't keep up with the costs (personal experience!). How about NY? Or San Francisco?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 05:17 AM

BUT you still get Renter's credit on your state income tax don't ya?

Not that that is a big deal, but it lowers the pain from a 10 to a 9.5 ! wink
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 06:02 AM

Problem is...
it's not just the rent...
as the price of EVERYTHING climbs
you're left with NOTHING in your pocket
to cover the INEVITABLE rent increase when it
DOES come, from there it could be Tail-Spin City. frown

Always living that close to the edge ...always waiting for
"The Other Shoe To Drop" (A Transmission Job or whatever)
can get to be too stressful to ...umm... LIVE WITH ...at our age.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 06:16 AM

btw sorry about the loss of a good neighbor. frown
It can make a tremendous difference in your
personal comfort/enjoyment level.

We've lived in this apartment (upper floor of
a 2 family dwelling in the suburbs of Newark)
for nearly 30 years, and have seen downstairs
neighbors come and go, but in the last 10 yrs
we went from the BEST to the WORST >EVER<
"In One Swell Foop." just sayin' GOOD LUCK. crazy
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 08:02 AM

The 11:38 minute jam... no less.

Posted by: garyW

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
1,000 sq ft — basically one big open room with a galley kitchen, W/D hookups, one bath and one closet! $3,300/mo!!! ::

This week I've been helping some friends find a home (condo actually) to lease here in Palm Springs. They're wanting to consolidate home & office expenses & cheaper than paying two leases to find a really nice place. This is the vintage 1965 home they're considering at $3200/mo. unfurnished, also to be used for their video editing business. 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 2800 sqft ... It ain't NYC.
cool

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 07:41 PM

$3200 a month???!!! Holy no-way Batman!

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/01/13 08:33 PM

I know. I know.
I'm constantly reminded I have the cheapest rent in town. crazy

Jim, thanks for the Lou. Besides the "oldies", that song was my first introduction to him in my *ahem* informative years.

David?
I remember walking into my local Record Factory (Remember those?), and who was playing acoustic in the middle of the isle? Yep. He just dropped by and decided to play an hour or so in the lobby of the store. Those were the days.

Thanks, I needed that!

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 02:17 AM

It's like another planet. I have a 1750 sq ft townhouse condo. Two enormous bedrooms (each with ensuite full baths) upstairs, full kitchen, dining room, living room, my office, and a half bath and laundry downstairs. Detached 2-car garage, private back yard… I paid well under $100K in '09. If I could trailer the place up to Boston and set it down in a similar 'burb, it would be worth $340K! shocked
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 04:06 AM

That is why people are moving abroad because of the high cost of living in the states now.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 07:02 AM

I live in a small 3 bedroom home with 1 1/2 baths. It isn't much but it keeps me warm and dry. The largest house payment I had was $187 a month and that included taxes and insurance. My last utility bill was $112.37 and that includes gas, electric, water and sewer. My personal and property taxes come to $812 for the current year. It takes me 10 minutes to get to work if I have to stop at all the lights. Moonshine is still available and we still lead the nation in meth labs. I think I will stay where i am.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 07:56 AM

I am not sure what I pay in rent or utilities, it is all combined into one flat monthly fee, that also includes an on site security and maintaining staff. Don't even have to change my own light bulbs. But it is small by most standards, 35 ft long by 16 ft wide with a galley style kitchen, one shower bath, and huge closets...about 500 sq foot total living space... $308 a month

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 08:15 AM

Ahem . . . we own our house free and clear. And I am not Willy Loman, so no rubber hose from the car exhaust into the interior of the car.

On the other hand . . . I live in the second poorest city in the country. Property values here are so low that poor people from everywhere else come here to live--and then find there are no jobs to be had. So the cycle of lower and lower and lower property values kicks in.

Even when we moved here, the house, which is a row house (in New York they call 'em townhouses, which makes it sound more elegant) cost us all of 49,000. I'd bet that at this point it's worth maybe two thirds of that (but who's counting?).

On the third hand, although we have no monthly mortgage, our oil, water/sewer (I always hope that the city separates the products for those two things, if not the bill), and electricity come to between 550 and 600 per month, except during three months in the summer, when we don't get an oil bill so the cost comes down to about 250 per month. And since the city doesn't do trash collecting, we have to pay a private hauler to do that, which adds another 50 or so bucks per month. Property tax adds another 150 or so per month. And I'm not counting ATT or cable service.

I just depressed myself. frown

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 08:30 AM

I was lurking on Zillow last month and in a moment of nostalgia, decided to look up the first house my parents built in Needham (a 'burn a/b 20 min west of Boston) in 1950. It was a small 3 bed, 1 bath ranch w/a 1-car garage on a corner lot in a new subdivision. My folks built the place for a/b $9K or a bit less. I fell out of my seat when I saw a photo of the place! I couldn't tell if it was a major add-on or if it had been raised to the foundation and rebuilt — as a big 4 bed colonial — that last sold a few years ago for $780K! shocked

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 09:11 AM

I did the same with the house we lived in in Coral Gables, a Miami suburb, back in the early 60s. Small 3-bedroom, attached garage, small kitchen, open living- dining-room arrangement. The 'rents paid something like 20,000 for it. It's not over half a million. crazy
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 09:25 AM

First house I bought here in 1984 I paid $10,000, built during the civil war...sold it ten years later for $15,000...made a profit..new owners have let it sit empty since '95. still empty today..funny thing is where I am now I can see the old house two blocks over...just the same as when I left it

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 09:30 AM

Just Zillowed my childhood home.
My parents rented it for one year, with the option to use that as a downpayment on buying the house for $14,000, which they did in 1965.
Zillow has it listed for $767,022. (faints)

Re: Ain't nuthin' goin' on but the rent - 11/02/13 09:46 AM

I guess I was lucky when I escaped from Boca. I only owned our condo for 6 or 7 months, and sold just inches from the edge of the cliff that the market slid over in '05. Flipped that puppy for a $65K profit! Of course, that wouldn't have meant diddly if I was thinking of buying when I moved back to NYC. cry