And in agricultural news . . .

Posted by: yoyo52

And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 07:41 AM

Just learned that "The Aztec word for avocado, ahuacatl means “testicle”. This is most likely because the avocado, growing in pairs, resembled the body part." Also learned that "the avocado is also considered an aphrodisiac. According to the book The Aphrodisiac Encyclopaedia, by the time the fruit traveled to Europe, the Sun King (Louis XIV) nicknamed avocados la bonne poire (the good pear) because he believed it restored his lagging libido." For more stop press tidbits, read the full story here.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 08:08 AM

HOLY GUACAMOLE!

THANX For The ARTICLE
I'll drop it into the LINK EXCHANGE
Down In My Science Forum to Kick Around.

Quote:
FUN FACT: "The Hass variety of avocado was named after a postal employee, Rudolph Hass, who purchased the seedling in 1926 from a California farmer."

SORRY... That still don't beat Your Story About 'The Johnson'!
Posted by: steveg

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 09:24 AM

In other [mangled]words, if you say, "I havacados", you have a good pair.[/mangled] whistle
Posted by: Jim_

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 09:27 AM

This part was funny;

The Aztec word for avocado, ahuacatl means “testicle”. This is most likely because the avocado, growing in pairs, resembled the body part. After the arrival of Spanish conquistadors, Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado for the Aztec (Nahuatl) word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish word avocado (now abogado), meaning “lawyer.”

I can see the resemblance. smirk
Posted by: Celandine

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 10:52 AM

speaking of "mangled/mashed"

The word "guacamole" comes from Aztec girls...
...hopping Conquistadors in their Ahuacatl! cry

Posted by: DLC

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
In other [mangled]words, if you say, "I havacados", you have a good pair.[/mangled] whistle

Yes of Green ones !! . . . but a good shot of penicillin will fix that !! laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: And in agricultural news . . . - 10/31/13 03:27 PM

Seems as if I've heRd that but have misremembered it

Thanks. Will have to look further into that.

Dave