Indoor HD antenna

Posted by: Papa

Indoor HD antenna - 10/30/13 06:16 PM

Anyone have any experience with an indoor HD antenna. I have one made by RCA that is not worth much. I use it in the garage to watch sports while I wood work and I have trouble getting the station I want to come in. I have the antenna in the attic and I have tried moving it several times to get better reception without success. It is a local station that has a tower less than a mile from me and they also have another antenna located 15 miles away. I think they transmit from both.

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 03:07 PM

I took a suggestion from a friend of mine who used to do a lot of television repair and went back to the basics. I soldered a short length of coat hanger to an insulated alligator clip and attached the alligator clip to the center lead on the coax cable attached to the convertor box. I can receive all the signals in the area including the one I couldn't get before.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 03:16 PM

shocked I must try this!
First challenge? Find a wire coat hanger…

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 03:27 PM

I had a $30 RCA antenna and this beats the heck out it.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 04:09 PM

Papa,

How far away are you from the nearest big city where the tv stations and their antennas are located? Any mountains [or large hills] between you and them?

My friend has tried several indoor and outdoor [cheaper] antennas without luck. We are 50 miles from Portland, Oregon, but there are several areas that are large bumps on the landscapes.

Posted by: DLC

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 06:29 PM

Well you know from experience... first you buy a big roll of Alcoa aluminum foil...

then . . . whistle

laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 06:35 PM

Back when I was a teen on the farm around 1960. We were about 90 miles from the KC area and about 80 miles from the Pittsburg ks station. We had a rooftop antenna which projected about 20 feet above our roof. We got 3-4 channels

Well the guy wires broke so it crashed to the ground. We still received some signals still.

On a whimsy I unhooked the TV lead from the downed antenna and clipped it to the garden fence which was made of chicken wire.

Got the same reception from the fence.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 06:39 PM

Good one, Dave wink

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
I took a suggestion from a friend of mine who used to do a lot of television repair and went back to the basics. I soldered a short length of coat hanger to an insulated alligator clip and attached the alligator clip to the center lead on the coax cable attached to the convertor box. I can receive all the signals in the area including the one I couldn't get before.
Missed this post. Glad you got it figured out, and dirt cheap. cool

I've mentioned it here and other places, you don't need an expensive antenna. Some will argue and say a "true HD" antenna makes a difference. There is no such thing as an HD antenna, it's all just radio waves.

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 08:09 PM

Bet the Chic-fil-a commercials came in extra strong !! whistle

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 08:14 PM

Kate, the station I couldn't get has its tower 30 miles by road from me. I would imagine that it is 20 miles as the crow flies. There are no mountains in the way. Just a lot of trees. There are a lot of videos on youtube on how to make your own antenna but the seven inch piece of coat hanger is working quite well.

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/02/13 08:24 PM

I have a very nice scanner antenna made from welding rods and pvc pipe.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 02:12 AM

Just ask your Republican rep! sick

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 06:31 AM

Isn't it odd how strong Fox comes in but you can't get MSNBC ! whistle

laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 08:15 AM

Same reason why you smell a fart long before the perfume. laugh
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 09:21 AM

LOL!
Quote:
Just ask your Republican rep!

Cruel, but fair… sick

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 01:51 PM

I think it's because of the hot air going up to disappear into the stratosphere. laugh

Dave

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Bet the Chic-fil-a commercials came in extra strong !! whistle

One thing that is off with the chic fil a commercials is that they portray dairy cattle worried about being used for meat. They should show Angus or Herford. Who would want to eat a skinny Holstein?

Dave

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 02:14 PM

Only a smart agriculturally minded person would recognize that. I thought that weird too... we don't eat dairy cows ! crazy

But I guess they don't look as lovable... but they could have done something like Borden's did with Elmer and Elsie.... at least they're brown !!

Re: Indoor HD antenna - 11/03/13 08:20 PM

Actually, I think they thought that Those spotted Holsteins were the quintessential cow.

Dave