Historic headlines in modern form - 10/28/13 08:23 PM

15 headlines that you won't believe actually happened

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php?title=1283

Thought I would use the tactic myself.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Historic headlines in modern form - 10/29/13 04:54 AM

I like the weird mold one !!! Fleming ! grin

BTW did any hear Dr. Freiden's (CDC) warning about antibiotics becoming less and less effective and we may in the next few decades enter the POST- antibiotic era ( i.e. we may go back to the way things were before antibiotics) ? DAMM SCARY !! eek

example: 1 bullet left in the chamber to treat gonorrhoea ! When (make no mistake, it will happen) that's gone, WTF do we treat it with? Ouch !! eek
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Historic headlines in modern form - 10/29/13 05:00 AM

OKay...this one was a bit disturbing. I didn't know that.

Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds into its flight. See Space Shuttle Challenger disaster for details. This was the first shuttle mission that included a teacher on board as part of the crew (Christa McAuliffe, Teacher in Space Project), so there were many children watching this particular launch as teachers around the country had TV sets in their classrooms showing the fated launch to their classrooms in real time. But the launch was not shown on the most major mainstream TV stations.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Historic headlines in modern form - 10/29/13 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I like the weird mold one !!! Fleming ! grin

BTW did any hear Dr. Freiden's (CDC) warning about antibiotics becoming less and less effective and we may in the next few decades enter the POST- antibiotic era ( i.e. we may go back to the way things were before antibiotics) ? DAMM SCARY !! eek
eek

I read it David. You know, scientists and doctors have warned us for years to not over do taking antibiotics. Guess not enough people are paying attention.

Posted by: lanovami

Re: Historic headlines in modern form - 10/31/13 05:00 AM

Man, that was awesome. A very tongue-in-cheek statement on the cheapening on news and headlines these days. It almost seems possible that that is what such headlines would look like if they came out today. How far have we come? Too far maybe.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Historic headlines in modern form - 10/31/13 06:03 AM

Kate - The biggest culprit is the agricultural industry... loading animals with antibiotics to make them grow fatter, faster ! I know this was going on as early as the 1970s. As a grad student, i worked on a project for the industrial production of monensin. frown