Are the Bets in for Today?

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:47 AM

New iPads, yes. Just read this morning that one person is looking for a 13 inch iPad as a MacBook replacement.

Probably 10.9 and a refresh on the MacBooks.

I am wondering about the new MacPro myself.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:56 AM

They've teased us with the MacPro for long enough.
It's time to put up or shut up.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:58 AM

Meee too, Bigger... I need a replacement and my iPad just doesn't quite cut it.

I do presentations for class and many videos imbedded into my KeyNote Lectures will NOT play on iOS. frown

Plus KeyNote is NOT as smooth on iPad as a regular computer... it's like running a 1 legged race !

Hope Apple upgrades iWork too... been 4.5 years !! (Jan 2009) !!! LONG overdue ! mad

Acumowchek: YEAH !! you tell em "big guy" !! grin

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 07:35 AM

I use Keynote on my iPad 2...working on a presentation right now in fact. It is okay but an update would be welcomed in all areas.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 07:49 AM

I was ready in July to purchase a new 27" iMac to replace my 5-yr old MacPro, but decided to hold out for several months for an update. So, today I'll be hoping to see something new with iMac, ideally a Retina display, but more likely improved performance & storage options.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 08:44 AM

As far as the Mac Pro.. I think we'll just get a firm ship date for the future. I'll bet they aren't ready yet.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 09:06 AM

The event is being shown live on AppleTV …. I think that's a first. grin
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:27 AM

OS X Mavericks is available today for free! wow!

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:30 AM

FREE! FREE! FREE!

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:38 AM

Mac Pro: Starts at $2999. 3.7GHz quad-core Xeon, 12GB DRAM, Dual FirePro D300, 2GB VRAM each, 256GB SSD

available in Dec
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:44 AM

Pro's out in December.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:51 AM

(1:40pm)

Schiller introduces the new MacPro line of desktops, including a move away from hard drive based storage. All internal storage will now be strictly flash-memory based, up to 1TB of storage available internally. Along with getting away from HDD failures, it speeds the read-write so much faster than traditional disk-based storage.

(1:45pm)

The new MacPro will start at $2,999, is cylindrical in shape, and offers six Thunderbolt 2 connections, 3 USB 3.0 ports, dual Gigabit net connectons, and HDMI out. Will be available before the end of the year.

Internally updates include the latest quad, 6-, 8-, and 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, up to 64GB of RAM, dual AMD FirePro graphics chips with up to 6GB of dedicated memory, and up to 1TB of far faster PCI Express solid state storage (that's that Flash memory again).

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:53 AM

Christmas Time!!!

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 10:54 AM

laugh

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 11:18 AM

iPad Air!
Hmmmm....

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 11:26 AM

Well I must check out those MacBook Pros when the store reopens.

$1299 is pricey but with education discount may can get for $1100 !. We'll see. Looks pretty good though !! AND it has retina screen and Lord knows mine aren't working as well at theirs lately !! wink
Posted by: MrB

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 11:31 AM

Looks pretty neat. Will have to think about this. Was rather hoping for bigger screen on the iPad. Making it lighter and physically smaller is good. Maybe gives a bigger one later

My Saddleback leather case won't fit. It cost me $115 by itself.

Dave

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 11:39 AM

$115.00? Are you thinking of selling the other iPad? Make it a combo deal... someone will buy it.

Crap.. I'm wondering where I'm going to pry up 3 grand.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-pro

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 12:04 PM

Updating to Mavericks now

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 12:11 PM

Quote:
Updating to Mavericks now

Is that the James Garner or Mel Gibson version ? wink

Posted by: steveg

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 12:30 PM

Gona put on my test pilot goggles and go for Mavericks. Downloading now… eek

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 12:43 PM

And downloading… And downloading…

Software Updated has said "Downloading" for more than 10 min. and I can't see any indication that anything is happening. It's a big file (more than 5GB, but with 50MB down, I would think I'd have seen something by now. Oh well...

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 12:49 PM

Ah… almost done now. Servers must be busy.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Gona put on my test pilot goggles and go for Mavericks. Downloading now… eek
I'm open Friday BTW. smirk

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Ah… almost done now. Servers must be busy.
BTW, quit the installer and make a copy before installing, then you won't have to d/l it again for the other machine. It probably puts it into the Applications folder, it's what it did in the Lions.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 01:45 PM

Quote:
make a copy before installing

ABSOLUTELY. SORRY I DIDN'T MENTION THAT SOONER.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:00 PM

A hairy experience! eek Once the installation was done and prompted me to restart, a beach ball appeared and just hung there for nearly an hour and the Mini never restarted. So I swallowed hard and forced a shutdown. The restart then took me through the entire set-up process as if I had just taken the machine out of the box for the first time. WTF??? I had to bring everything over from my system backup drive, and because the system clones every Sunday AM, I lost a few days of mail and work files.

Once I finally got to a screen, just about everything was as it had been before the update. And because the migration created a "Deleted Users" folder, I was able to restore those few days of lost data. Whew.

What's broken? Adobe Creative Cloud file and font sync; Extensis Suitcase Fusion 5; CC Cache Cleaner; EpsonScan.app. But according to the support pages for those apps, updates are coming in the next few weeks. Nothing I can't live without temporarily. But I think I'll wait a few weeks on the MacBook update.

Did I say this update was hairy? It was hairy. crazy

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:02 PM

SO what's the hot advantage of Mavericks ? your Mac can see Russia from your house ? . . . an interview with Katie Couric ?? laugh

So Steve,,, you sure you didn't download from the Obamacare website ?!! eek

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:10 PM

I won't have much time to play with the new stuff for a few weeks. Too much work in the pipeline right now — which proves just how f'n stupid I was to gamble on an OS update today. crazy But in addition to multiple backups on external drives and CrashPlan, my MBP is a virtual mirror of the Mini — so if I had encountered a catastrophic data loss, I can just plug the MBP into the T-Bolt display and keep on keepin' on.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/22/13 06:21 PM

I heart backups.
Sorry to hear about the troubles, I haven't had any problems (yet).
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 02:14 AM

I wondered what the sudden uptick in posts was about. Right, Apple stuff. This is an Apple forum. I tends to forgets sometimes.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 03:23 AM

A momentary mini-crisis. Aside from the broken apps that will be updated in the coming days and weeks, things seem pretty stable. I really like the much slicker new interface for Keynote.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 04:26 AM

Yep looking forward to the new Keynote and Pages ! Use them a BUNCH !!

Well priced my MBP and it's gonna be around $1400-1500 even with the Ed Discount of $100 ! eek

Come on Apple... I'll be standing up there lecturing with my MBP open and that beautiful Apple Logo staring ~70 students in the face !! NOW Multiply that X 3 !! Isn't that advertisement worth > $100 ?? shocked

Oh well Barclays to the rescue !! 0% for 18 months ! grin
$100 / month and it's PIF 3 months before the deadline ! wink

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 04:56 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave... You don't have a revenue problem. You have a spending problem! laugh

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Yep looking forward to the new Keynote and Pages ! Use them a BUNCH !!

Well priced my MBP and it's gonna be around $1400-1500 even with the Ed Discount of $100 ! eek

Come on Apple... I'll be standing up there lecturing with my MBP open and that beautiful Apple Logo staring ~70 students in the face !! NOW Multiply that X 3 !! Isn't that advertisement worth > $100 ?? shocked

Oh well Barclays to the rescue !! 0% for 18 months ! grin
$100 / month and it's PIF 3 months before the deadline ! wink

I thought you retired???

I have been using my iPad for lectures and presentations and my iPhone as the remote. I only have to teach a couple of seminars though. I just updated Keynote on my iPad and have a presentation Friday I will get to give it a try.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 05:23 AM

I did . . but to teach PT. Enjoying it except when my class bombs a test (like they just did in Genetics)!!

Steve... HUSH !! My wife will hear and then it's SHUTDOWN !! eek

laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 09:03 AM

I now use a MBA for all that I do in my classes. It works beautifully, as well as my MBP did. Maybe you could think of going the Air rather than the Pro route?

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/23/13 05:09 PM

I definitely will do that since the MBPs all have dynamic HDs now.
The new MBPs are tempting with the new retina graphics, and video chips. But they ARE much pricier !

Thanks.... smile

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 05:20 AM

I just noticed that the new Mac Pro flash drive is only 256GB (I have three 1TB drives in mine).

They are talking about external storage. I am surprised they did not release a matching flat panel and expansion case or am missing something?

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 06:59 AM

You can upgrade to 1 TB ... but it's all about external drives now...

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
You can upgrade to 1 TB ... but it's all about external drives now...

I guessing someone will come up with a matching drive case then. Too bad there was not a matching monitor.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 08:30 AM

Since the Mac Pro can handle 4K monitors, I'm guessing that's probably why no new monitors. Have you seen the price of one? Cheapest I could find on Newegg is $3500. ouch.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 10:54 AM

Holy Moly! I just looked! I thought my old 30 inch display was costly….

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
I guessing someone will come up with a matching drive case then. Too bad there was not a matching monitor.
My guess is they're throwing third parties a bone and letting them handle that, at least for the external cases. We'll see on the 4K monitor, but maybe monitors are not a profitable endeavor.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 11:34 AM

It seems there's not really a big market for 4K monitors yet anyway.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/24/13 04:37 PM

Uh.. just because it can drive (3) 4K monitors doesn't mean you need one...lol.
2560 x 1440 pixels is plenty for now me.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/25/13 04:38 AM

I knew the day would come.

Among it's other advantages, I assume switching over to flash memory over hard disks will help extend the life of Mac even longer no?

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/25/13 05:38 AM

Possibly. HDDs tend to get quite warm. Just having Flash will bring down the overall temp inside the box.
Also.. Flash has no moving parts...so less susceptible to shock/drops.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/25/13 05:42 AM

Also, they weigh about 1/10th that of a HDD and they are practically silent.

Re: Are the Bets in for Today? - 10/25/13 03:50 PM

AHHHH !! what an ordeal !!
We don't have an Apple Store in Tyler - yeah I know you're shocked. BUT we do have a Mac store called Simply Mac... took my old MB in there and they confirmed the HD was dead. BUT they wanted $250 to install a new one and put a system on it. Seemed like a nice store and much like an Apple store in appearance... even has their own "Genius Bar".

So I told them I decided NOT to fix the MB and to thank them for the "no charge" and support I wanted to get a new one. Asked about Educational discount - and they can do that BUT you must purchase the Apple Care with it (Bundle).. OK will only cost me $83 with the educational discounts instead of $250... Ok took some time to decide which model and finally decided to go for the big kahoona a mid-level MBPro... total out the door cost $1700 with tax, Apple Care, 8 Gb RAM, 2.4 GHz CPU, and a 256 GB Dynamic HD.... pricy but still a lot for the $. I had a Barclay's account pre-approved for $4K last August and had a Barclay's check to write them which would be just like the Card and . . . they can't do it !! WTF , are you crazy ?? crazy

So adios !! All that . . . and for empty hands ! frown
So going to order from Apple without the Applecare but bumping the CPU to 2.6 GHz, and it'll only be $1600 w tax.
Try to support local businesses, and they throw roadblocks at ya !! crazy