Zombies: good or bad

Posted by: MrB

Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 04:30 AM

Zombies,

Here is an article that fits what I believe.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/17...ng-our-society/

I'm not saying that watching a show or two will malangle ones mind but the idea of such creatures is the extreme of stupid. In the same category I would put, werewolves, vampires and the like. I simply refuse to watch them.

These things are woefully popular. Like True Blood( is that the name). I've not watched enough of it to to know the theme but I gather a major part is the issue of discrimination . I've not watched enough to be sure. As the whole issue is asinine . If one wants to create a show on discrimination, a worthy issue, pick real concepts
The concept that a creature could still be mobile after being dead is silly.

I recall a cool movie from a up and coming director a few years back that a good plot going until the stars went into a bar that was infested with zombies or some such crap. I remember turning the movie off at that point in disgust. Later I finished it just to make certain I was correct.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 08:11 AM

There is an old story that the legend of vampires came from observing people with a rare genetic defect – they can't make hemoglobin. The disease is Porphyria - named after the ring that makes the center of the hemoglobin molecule- porpheryn. In the middle ages, people didn't understand or recognize it was a disease and so stories circulated about people drinking blood (usually animals not humans), etc. Them assuming animal forms like bats was an embellishment of the real symptoms. And of course religion had to be thrown in the stories to support "The Church" so we got the fear of the Cross and Holy water BS !! I don't know where the stake through the heart came from ... maybe Vlad the Impaler ! crazy

BUT lacking hemoglobin they were very pale skinned, could NOT come out during the day (sunburned very easily) = were nocturnal , and some had facial distortions exposing the canines (fangs)... and in addition exposure to garlic worsened their condition. So some was fact but a lot was fiction. wink . . And of course Dracula was fashioned from Vlad the Impaler...

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 10:15 AM

I've heard that. But the "undead" what's with that. If one is not alive, then one has no way of moving as there is no way for the muscles to contract. Also no brain activity. If the drink blood to "unlive" how do metabolize it? If they have no muscle control the blood will eventually leak out their butt. Messy

Also, how does one physically grow extra long teeth then later have them shrink.
It's just crazy.
This all aligns itself with credibility in movies where cars collide with a bus and the bus flies though the air
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 10:39 AM

Uh-oh.
Sorry, MrB, but I had to… grin
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB

This all aligns itself with credibility in movies where cars collide with a bus and the bus flies though the air.

But, but, but, Dave. That's my kind of exciting movie! smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 01:02 PM

LOL !!! Draculops, Frankenlops, and Mummylops...

OK smartie... where's the The Wolf-lops ?? laugh

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 01:10 PM

And this reasoning is why I HATE Disney movies. Take Finding Nemo...who ever heard of talking and singing fish? If they are under water, how do fish, who have never been to a learning institution, even know the English language???
This is the pinnacle of stupidity.
How can a prince kiss a princess who has been asleep for years and wake her up? Is there some special DNA on his lips?
And the idea of a girl trapped in a tower hundreds of feet in the air and she climbs down on her hair...lol.. What a joke. the hair would be so brittle by the time it got to that length it would just snap! and she would plummet to her death.

This is why I only let my daughter watch zombie movies.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 01:36 PM

Workin' on it, DLC. Workin' on it… smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 01:57 PM

Yes, Disney is over the top. I forget the reason they give that the shark in one of those movies learned to be a vegetarian. Or all the animals in Madagascar loved each other. Lions, tigers, monkeys, antelope . Or that the animalas are all environmentalists. If they were they wouldn't crap in their rivers. Oh, they don't crap in movies.

And my all time stupid cartoon series is the Barnyard series where the male Cows have udders and the female Cows have flirty eyebrows, and bumps on their chests similar to Barbie dolls for breasts.
I'm not the only one who thinks this is dumb

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080626181658AA1z7VR

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
And this reasoning is why I HATE Disney movies. Take Finding Nemo...who ever heard of talking and singing fish?
This is why I only let my daughter watch zombie movies.

Will you guyz knock it off. Next thing you know you'll kill all the sweet memories I have about " The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964)"

When Don Knotts interacted with the sea characters I was in heaven. It was all so beautiful and I knew that was just the way it was! All one had to do was -- believe.:)

You're killing me. wink

j/k

Posted by: lanovami

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 02:16 PM

Reminds me of a friend who detests all fantasy. The idea of magic and dragons is just an anathema to him.

But he is a huge sci-fi fan because regardless of how fantastical something is, as long as it under the premise that it is somehow, however inexplicable, possible in some vague scientific sense; it is cool and interesting.

I tell him to watch Thrones and just imagine that everything in it is engineered by super advanced aliens who just set it all up for their own amusement. He said he'll think about it. smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 02:45 PM

ANY ONE looking for reality in any Disney movie is a fool !! wink

Even Davy Crockett was filled with bologny !! What a yarn !!

The ONLY ones I remember being reality were like The Living Desert, The Vanishing Prairie... those nature documentaries ! Those were cool !

All the rest were made in Fantasyland ... seriously !! laugh
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 04:29 PM

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 04:46 PM

I know right?

You missed one Nuke. Little Mermaid has it too. Not only do they talk underwater and speak English to boot - they SING underwater. Beautifully and sonorously. You ever even tried to be understood underwater? Of course not, it just sounds like you are drowning. And this would happen regardless of whether or not you can breathe underwater.

I like a heady shot of realism in my coffee just like Nuke :D, but since zombies aren't really my thing, my recent obsession is with the almost macabre comedy The Heart, She Holler. Anyone watching this besides me?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 05:30 PM

Well.. my post was totally tongue in cheek. cool
I don't watch fictional tv with any expectations of reality. I want reality.. I go to work.

I haven't got to the point in my life that I'm dour if it doesn't fit within my narrow constraints of what's allowed or what constitutes "entertainment".

i actually like to watch things that aren't "possible".

Half of the stuff I watched as a kid that was impossible.. is now reality.
Think outside the box.
Some people aren't so constricted by reality and can actually be titillated by zombie movies.. the "what if" factor.
We knew it when we were kids... but some have lost it.
Reminds me of the The Twilight Zone: The Movie.. the Kick the Can part/segment. Some were to old to remember the magic of fantasy and childhood and thus couldn't revert to children and play kick the can in the dark. they were resigned to watching from the windows of the old folks home.
Sad, really.
Imagine if Tolkien had no imagination. What a loss that would be....

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 05:44 PM

You were being tongue in cheek?! No. Really? laugh

If I was actually serious about my dislike of such things then it would be very painful indeed to admit I know all the Little Mermaid songs by heart from watching my nieces for my sister when they were little. Love that flick. "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete? Wouldn't you think I'm the girl...." Anyway, I digress. smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 05:49 PM

Well, if we're baring our true selves here, I have to admit, I have probably read more sci-fi and fantasy than all other genre combined and then maybe doubled.

The show I mentioned above The Heart, She Holler is definitely not realism. I sure hope not anyway, it'd be a freaky world out there if it was.

I am really enjoying the Dresden Files right now. Anyone know them? About a Wizard/Private Investigator in Chicago. Sounds lame, but it's quite well done - or at least I think so.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

We knew it when we were kids... but some have lost it.
Reminds me of the The Twilight Zone: The Movie.. the Kick the Can part/segment. Some were to old to remember the magic of fantasy and childhood and thus couldn't revert to children and play kick the can in the dark. they were resigned to watching from the windows of the old folks home.
Sad, really.

yes.. almost painfully Bitter/Sweet
but still my favorite segment:
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:00 PM

Something is just not right....how come Goofy a dog, stands up right and speaks like a human while Pluto also a dog walks on all fours and only barks...can't have it both ways I say

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:04 PM

Every since a character in Stand By Me pointed that out, it has bugged me. I had never come to the realization myself.

For some reason, Mickey and the gang always annoyed me, even when we watched the Mousketeers in kindergarten, I knew Mickey and friends weren't my thing. Too cutesy. Give me Bugs and his dysfunctional friends any day.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB

Here is an article that fits what I believe.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/17...ng-our-society/

Quote:
"With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don’t want you to think or focus on what is important for your personal growth, I’m sure they’re more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies.

And in turn, you ultimately become a zombie."

Dave

Tell you what, Dave...
...Why don't you toddle back to FauxNewsLand
and Remind Them that the ULTIMATE FANTASY,
anyone has to suspend ALL Grasp On REALITY
In Order To Swallow Is Still THE BIBLE.

That oughta' git them Bible Thumpers going! smirk

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:09 PM

Did we just wax political again? Yeesh.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Did we just wax political again? Yeesh.

it was a direct quote from the original post

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:14 PM

Dang. You got me. smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:35 PM

Quote:
Give me Bugs and his dysfunctional friends any day.

As much as I love Disney, give me Tex Avery any day.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 06:57 PM

Personally, I eschew (I've always wondered if that's a real word, but what the heck) all fiction. Nothing is real, everything to get hung about. And I'm totally against strawberry fields. So messy to walk through.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/17/13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Personally, I eschew (I've always wondered if that's a real word, but what the heck) all fiction. Nothing is real, everything to get hung about. And I'm totally against strawberry fields. So messy to walk through.

Bless You
smile

There's nothing Messy about "Strawberry Fields"

I've walked through it many times...
...since it's located @ the Entrance of the Park
that we use to get to the Annual 420 Festival crazy

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 12:10 AM

One more.

When I watch Harry Potter with my kids, and he and his crew get in a scrape I am thinking why doesn't he call down some A10 Warthogs to really take care of things, but no, they have to relie on using Brooms or some such.

Dave

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 12:21 AM

C'mon, James Bond? Why does his nemesis always try to kill him in some bizarre way, and not even be in the room? Bond always gets away. Just shoot him point blank. Problem solved.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 06:51 AM

Roadrunner

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Roadrunner

I think that is where it started for me. Seeing the coyote run off a cliff, then hang there for a while, long enough for his mugging for the camera before he plunged to the earth to make a crater big enough to engulf the titanic

That never was what happened when I jumped of the roof of our chicken house. laugh

Or Roy Rogers chasing bad guys shooting the gun out of the bad guy's hand while seemingly riding 80 mph on a horse and still keeping his hat on.

Dave

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 09:22 AM

While I admittedly stayed blissfully unawares
of the popularity of Zombies, other than the
VooDoo religious aspect brought over from the
olde country... I hadn't considered the danger
of youngsters becoming desensitized to shooting
people (any more than any other violent "GAME"
of which I also never partake) (Perhaps it's
something else the NRA needs to factor into
it's argument between Gun-Ownership/Control..?)

But what I've found disturbing is the "Vampire
Craze" ..again.. that I never watch (except, of
course, the Johnny Depp/Tim Burten version of
"Dark Shadows" ... and that for it's "campy"
spin on the one-time popular daytime Soap Opera)

...but GLORIFYING Vampirism... and hyping the
sexual aspects as a sales mechanism, disturbs
me not from a moralistic or religious aspect,
but rather a health issue (both mental and as
physical ((from blood borne diseases)) and of
course MURDER (intentional or otherwise) just
too damn many people buying into it as a life-
style... seriously! Drinking Blood? eek wtf?

As far as the Roadrunner & the "What-If-Factor"
of harmless fantasy... I freely admit it...
I was raised on the Classic (un-Disney-fied)
Faerie Tales... like when the Little Mermaid
DIDN'T Grow legs & Live Happily Ever after...

For one thing, she'd already cut her own tongue
out to pay for the ability to walk on dry land,
and dies as the first rays of dawn strike her
the morning after the Prince marries the the
girl he mistakenly assumes had saved his life,
being the ex-Mermaid couldn't tell him otherwise
(..having cut out her tongue to be with him..)

LOL and this was a MORALISTIC TAIL TALE...
For CHILDREN...since in not stabbing the Prince
and letting his blood flow out over her feet, that
woulda'/coulda'changed them back into a fishtail,
she acquires a SOUL instead.. and goes to Heaven...
...AFTER 300 YEARS! blush -huh???

YOU GO GIRL! grin

LOL...
it's understandable why Uncle Walt fluffed 'em up.

"The Little Mermaid"
as written by H.C. Anderson
Posted by: Papa

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 09:52 AM

I have read all the Harry Dresden books. Some of them multiple times. I do enjoy them and am anxiously awaiting the next installment. My grandson and I are currently reading the Percy Jackson series of books. I am into the second series, The Heroes of Olympus. They are rated for 10 and up but they are a fun read. We have seen the movies together and have had a lot of fun discussing the books and movies.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 10:30 AM

duh... hadda look up The Heroes of Olympus

I'd read classical mythology while in grade school.

I went from fairytales to mythology to sci-fi to
mysticism to The Bible at different stages of my life.

I'd actually read the entire Bible... just to see what
it said FOR MYSELF..simply got sick of having people
re-tell the same dozen stories ad nauseum...
...and became curious enough about the
who-what-where & why enough to read them more
or less as a simple piece of literature....
...sans the mumbo-jumbo.

Interesting book of history & as a survival manual.

btw.. Jesus is my favorite character! smile

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:06 PM

Papa, glad to hear there is another Dresden fan out there. I still have 3 or 4 books to go. I'm reading Turncoat (I think, I have trouble remembering title names when it's on my Kindle). Jim Butcher always thinks of new twists for established characters and

Click to reveal..
Warden Morgan on the lam

is a just plain cool twist I wouldn't have thought of. I figured someone else just MIGHT read the books, so I thought I'd better use the spoiler box.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:07 PM

I will check out the Percy Jackson stuff. I actually like a lot of young reader fiction, it can be quite good.

Though I was never sure what all the fuss about Harry Potter was, though they were decent books.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:12 PM

I read the Bible over a series of months back in my teens during my religion period. It was hard stuff. Not just the reading but asking why questions.

The first one was "what was the big deal with Noah's son seeing him naked in his tent after Noah had had a drunken night out?" Is it Noah's son's fault if Noah took to getting drunk and falling asleep naked? His son and all his descedents were to be slaves to his brothers. Hey Noah, lighten up will ya?

I always guessed maybe this was some deeper meaning or allegory for something else, but yeesh.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:36 PM

There are a lot of twists and turns in the Dresden books for sure. You will find a lot more in the books to come.

The first 5 book series of Percy Jackson is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. They can get formulaic but there is enough humor and character changes to make them interesting. It is fun looking up the various Greek gods, goddesses, and monsters that pop up. In the second 5 book series we are introduced to their Roman counterparts. Yoyo52 has read them and I am sure he could give a much better review of them than I can. My grandson has learned that the book and the movie are often quite different.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:37 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_in_religion

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 02:49 PM

Chuck Jones and Tex Avery were hard to beat. Jones said they wrote the cartoons for themselves and the fact that other people liked them was a plus.

Jones told his grandfather that in college he felt like a pig in with a bunch of race horses. His grandfather told him he might never be a race horse but he could be the best pig there ever was. Sound advice that we could all follow.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 05:00 PM

Loved both those cartoonists, and 2 of my favorites were Max and Dave Fleisher who did Betty Boop and Popeye! Twisted humor !! But way ahead of the times !! wink

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 05:27 PM

I Loved the Movie Version
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Robin Williams Fan

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 05:52 PM

Fleishers were THE BEST. Popeye meets Sinbad is a work of art.

Re: Zombies: good or bad - 10/18/13 08:31 PM

This one, the Ali Baba one, and the Aladdin one are my 3 favorites !