RIP Nadja Pearl

Posted by: Jim_

RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 12:23 PM

She was pretty much totally healthy for 16 years, but about 3 months ago I noticed her ear was bothering her, they discovered a polyp deep in her ear that had become infected. Too old to operate so I was going to see if we could keep it maintained. She was on her 4th round of antibiotics though.

The polyp either caused, or was the cause of, her lower left jawbone density being compromised. Last week it seemed like her mouth had become sore. She had hardly eaten anything in over a week, not even tuna I pureed for her, and had lost over a pound in the last few weeks. On a 6.5 lb cat that was a lot. According to the X-ray we had done last week its density was a lot less than the other one.

Thyroid hyper-active, Liver values high too.

They put her on a strong antibiotic to try to kill the infection in the bone and ear plus other stuff for nausea, inflammation, appetite. She still kept going downhill. She always was a great patient, took her meds, worm pills etc, like a champ with no resistance. Wednesday night she told me that she was tired of it all though. She started smacking my hand when I tried to put anything into her mouth, so I stopped it all except for the Tramadol for pain.

Took her in to the vet one last time around noon today to stop the madness. See you on the other side of the bridge someday Pearl.

Here she is in better times.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 12:29 PM

Oh no.
Sorry Jim.
She was a beauty…
Posted by: Celandine

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 12:47 PM

RIP Ninja Pearl
I know you'll be missed. frown
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 02:24 PM

So sorry, Jim. She's a beautiful animal.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 02:26 PM

Damn. Now I have some crap in my eye... dammit.
So sad.
It always hurts.
Isn't that two in a row for you?
Damn.
Unbearable.
You did the right thing though...
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 04:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, Reboot.

What a beautiful cat!

The Bible doesn't address whether animals go to Heaven or not, but I find it hard to believe that they don't. It'd be nice to see them in no pain again.

Blessings to you.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 08:00 PM

Come On! smirk

It wouldn't be "Heaven" without Animals!
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 09:28 PM

Sorry about your friend, Jim. She sure was beautiful. smile

Posted by: lanovami

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/04/13 11:29 PM

My condolences to losing such a good friend. Godspeed to her.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/05/13 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Isn't that two in a row for you?
Yeah, but there's 10 still around. It's been around 7 or so in the last 5 years, all but one were 15 years or older, but it's never easy. One was 23. The oldest is now 12 so hopefully it will be a while. Except for one I'm treating for IBS, which will never go away, they all seem healthy, but so did Pearl until 3 months ago.

It's interesting how the dynamics of the whole colony changes every time one drops off.

She used to sleep either in a pillow behind my monitor or on top of my old G4 tower underneath the desk. She's one of those that liked to sleep near me. Most of them amuse themselves and go off to their own place to sleep, but I still have 2 or 3 others that are office/desk cats. They're taking turns rotating in her spots now.

Thanks all, still pretty bummed, she was one of the closer ones. It's amazing how these creatures touch our lives.
Posted by: DLC

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/05/13 02:37 PM

My condolences Jim.. I know from experience that's very tough. BUT she was lucky to be owned by a great guy- YOU ! Many other cats aren't so lucky !!

16 is a good life for a cat.

I know you'll especially miss her dish washing skills (trying to make you smile). wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: RIP Nadja Pearl - 10/05/13 03:09 PM

When we had our 11 Yorkies and some of the bitches were still getting preggers.. it was crazy in my house. One would come into heat and then start the others on there heats. Poor male dogs... by the end of 3-4 weeks of females being in heat the males were spent. Some would lose serious weight.

At one time, with 3 or 4 litters we had something like 26 Yorkies at one point. So... between stillborns and some pups that didn't make it there were some years I buried 4,5 6 dogs. And now in the later years as some of the adults have passed... my backyard is like a pet cemetery aka minefield.

On the brighter side... we just adopted a pond puppy for my daughter who is almost 5 a needs to have the puppy experience that all kids deserve, It's a terrier mix with some definite Jack Russell overtones. She has a great, mellow personality... and the two of them are inseparable.