AHCA, What you need to know

Posted by: Jim_

AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 11:31 AM

Let 'er rip. cool
Posted by: Papa

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 04:57 PM

The Kaiser Foundation has a cost calculator on their website along with lots of other information.
They are at kff.org. A representative from the foundation was on NPR explaining a lot about the AHCA. You can find it at hereandnow.wbur.org
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 04:59 PM

Thanks for the link!

I'm looking forward to next week to see what's available. Using the Calculator over at Kaiser, I could save about $100/month on the Bronze option over the equivalent coverage I have now with Aetna. If I step-up to Silver, I'd save $50/month.

Of course, that's just the calculator -- it'll be interesting to see what the actual offerings are like. It's actually kind of exiting! =)
Posted by: lanovami

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:08 PM

I have heard a few bigger companies, to try to bring prices for health insurance down are starting to allow like 3 insurance companies to offer packages. This way they will have to compete with each other to offer good, affordable health coverage. Win/Win, at least for the employer and employee.
Posted by: DLC

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:16 PM

The Kaiser Medical system is about as close to Universal Health care as you can get... only problem is if you're in Kaiser you have a more limited choice of Drs. You have more choice of Drs under ACA than in Kaiser, yet I hear few complain about that system. (I had Kaiser from 1979-1984 and liked it.) They are set up to control costs, and it works, that's why many use them. Less expensive, but still good solid care. Seems to me that what ACA is trying to do !!!

As I said in another thread, The GOTP is scared sh!tless that Obamacare will WORK... then like SS and Medicare they can't ever kill it, even if they ever got total control again. If it were truly as bad and a train wreck as they say - they'd let the Dems walk into the quagmire and then pound them later and probably win a sweeping election and control all key parts of the govt... but that's NOT the case... and they know it!! grin
Thus we get 2 yr old temper tantrums like Cruz just threw !!

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:25 PM

Wow, using the Kaiser calculator, my insurance rates are going close to double.

I have Blue Cross with a pretty decent coverage. I did receive a letter from them stating that I should expect changes soon once they release their coverage rates.
Posted by: Papa

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:25 PM

I don't know anything about their insurance. I was listening to their representative talking about the AHCA and he mentioned the calculator and gave some interesting facts about the act. I have Medicare part A and B and NALC insurance through the Post Office and I won't be moving to another plan.

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:35 PM

"If it were truly as bad and a train wreck as they say - they'd let the Dems walk into the quagmire and then pound them later and probably win a sweeping election and control all key parts of the govt... but that's NOT the case... and they know it!!"

That is an extremely good point. Maybe that means they really ARE looking out for the American people and DON'T want it to be a train wreck that hurts us in the long run. Yeah right. sick
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 06:36 PM

Just remember, this is the same government that started social security and look where it is now. And also, we are near or at the debt ceiling.

Just saying....

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 07:17 PM

My that's a pretty political statement - not that you started it of course.

Isn't bringing up FDR's administration out of nowhere a bit out of "left" field, pardon the pun? At least I assume that's what you are doing. Are you saying there should have never been social security or...?

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Just remember, this is the same government that started social security and look where it is now. And also, we are near or at the debt ceiling.

Just saying....

Actually, it's a completely different government. The Executive + the House + the Senate + the Supreme Court is nothing like it was when Social Security was passed. To boot, there's nothing wrong with Social Security that preventing Congress from raiding the trust fund won't fix. (Remember the "lock box"? Yeah, neither does anybody else since we were all distracted by 9/11 and the ensuing "war on terrorism")

As for Debt Ceilings: The House controls spending. If you want to avoid debt ceilings, tell them to not spend the money in the first place that we are required to repay by Constitutional rule. The time to eliminate the debt ceiling is before we spend the money, not after ...

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/26/13 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
Wow, using the Kaiser calculator, my insurance rates are going close to double.

I have Blue Cross with a pretty decent coverage. I did receive a letter from them stating that I should expect changes soon once they release their coverage rates.

The calculator is if you want to take advantage of the exchanges; there's nothing requiring you to use them. If your current coverage is less, you can keep that. If your current provider decides to raise rates, that's on them. Theoretically, the existence of the exchanges is supposed to foster competition both within the exchange and with companies outside the exchange. If your current provider deems it necessary to raise rates to protect their bottom line, perhaps this is an opportunity for you to shop around. It's not like there's not going to be options =)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

Just saying....
If you were self employed and just saw a recent 33% increase in your health insurance rates for no reason, on top of the 15% from the year before, and nary a claim for the last 6 years while with Medical Mutual, you'd understand.

Just sayin'.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 04:47 AM

Quote:

I agree with your caution about the economics of this. Perhaps the rosy picture being painted by some about the Act is correct.

Still, Mrs. Stumpy and I are paying over $4K out of pocket more for our group health coverage this year than last. Not all is due to things related to the Act, but some are.

My employer was informed by the rep from our health care provider that premiums are expected to rise 55-60% next year, primarily from Affordable Health Care provisions. I don't carry my employer's insurance - we have a policy thru Mrs. Stumpy's employer.

Good luck to us all.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 05:45 AM

Over the last two decades, the health insurance that my school provides has become more expensive every year. Some years the cost rises by 10 or 15%. Some years it rises "only" 6 or 7%. But it always rises. As a result, my school has changed providers and options to keep the costs down as much as possible, but the consequence is that our current health insurance plan, which costs significantly more than the plan we had just five years ago, is basically not worth the paper it's written on. It's a PITA to use, the deductibles are astronomical, the "out of network" penalties are horrible--if the company agrees to pay them at all, which initially they won't and then you have to spend the following three months getting them to do so.

It's a damned mess.

And none of it has anything to to with Obamacare. All of it has to do with the insurance companies, middle men who do nothing much beyond shuffling paper. I hate the Republicans for having made single payer impossible, and even more, I hate Sen. Mealymouth, I mean Lieberman, for playing along with the Republicans because he represented Connecticut, home of the insurance industry. I wonder how much of a payoff there was there.

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 09:01 AM

Quote:
My employer was informed by the rep from our health care provider that premiums are expected to rise 55-60% next year, primarily from Affordable Health Care provisions.

Given their track record, I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in Insurance companies raising rates "primarily from Affordable Health Care provisions." Basically, they just got the government to force everyone in the country to buy their product -- not really convinced that premium hikes are anything more than Insurance companies soaking existing customers and blaming the ACA ...
Posted by: DLC

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 09:47 AM

John...nothing wrong with the SS that Congress can't fix.
Like this fiscal debacle it's all Self-imposed crisis !!!

#1 Congress -quit stealing from it ! as someone mentioned the lock-box...

#2 Congress - pay all you've stolen back ! (fat chance) - it'd be solvent to 2100 !!

#3 - take the f-ing cap off- why should those making <$110K pay 6.5% of their income into SS and those making more LESS (a smaller %)?? Someone making $1 million would pay 0.6% !!!

#4 Dems don't like this one, but we DO need to slowly increase the eligibility age... up to 70... again phase in over 2-3 decades. People are just living longer and work longer ! It's the changing times !!

So it's VERY FIXABLE... Congress just doesn't want to do their dammed job !! mad
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Quote:
My employer was informed by the rep from our health care provider that premiums are expected to rise 55-60% next year, primarily from Affordable Health Care provisions.

Given their track record, I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in Insurance companies raising rates "primarily from Affordable Health Care provisions." Basically, they just got the government to force everyone in the country to buy their product -- not really convinced that premium hikes are anything more than Insurance companies soaking existing customers and blaming the ACA ...

Same as some employers cutting wages back during the economic meltdown. Most were legit... but then when things got better... your pay didn't.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: AHCA, What you need to know - 09/27/13 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
John...nothing wrong with the SS that Congress can't fix.
Like this fiscal debacle it's all Self-imposed crisis !!!

#1 Congress -quit stealing from it ! as someone mentioned the lock-box...

#2 Congress - pay all you've stolen back ! (fat chance) - it'd be solvent to 2100 !!

#3 - take the f-ing cap off- why should those making <$110K pay 6.5% of their income into SS and those making more LESS (a smaller %)?? Someone making $1 million would pay 0.6% !!!

#4 Dems don't like this one, but we DO need to slowly increase the eligibility age... up to 70... again phase in over 2-3 decades. People are just living longer and work longer ! It's the changing times !!

So it's VERY FIXABLE... Congress just doesn't want to do their dammed job !! mad

[Like]