Banned books

Posted by: lanovami

Banned books - 09/23/13 04:34 PM

Here is a list of regularly banned or challenged (attempted ban) books from 1990 to 1999. Some of them are so WTF.

the list, too hard to copy here, so
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 05:34 PM

Figures
4 of the most influential authors
in my life figure prominently on "THE LIST"

Heller, Vonnegut, Twain, & King

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 05:35 PM

yeah. I was surprised about the Judy Blume books. Those books helped me realize I was just a normal kid when I read them. real things that happen to real kids. It can't all be sanitized.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 08:13 PM

Wow.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. WTF. An 85 Y.O. former school teacher, my next door neighbor, recommended that to me back in '72. After reading it I had a new found respect for the woman. It really made an impression on my 17 Y.O. psyche.

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 08:47 PM

Just running my eyes over the list
a common theme seems to be books
that encourage free thinking...
or about free thinking individuals

Randal P. McMurphy is the very
personification of someone "bucking
the system" but then so was Billy
Pilgrim, Huck Finn, & Yosarian
(who, BTW, was NOT crazy)

imho the very idea of snuffing out
free (LIBERAL) thinking is as
appalling to some as having people
bucking the system is to those
(CONSERVATIVE) thinkers wishing to
ban it out of existence.

Posted by: MrB

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 09:51 PM

No books should be banned. No speech banned. No writing banned. Furthermore, no ones should have to apologize for writing or saying anything the write or say.

Including what I just wrote

Dave

Re: Banned books - 09/23/13 11:03 PM

I do have mixed feelings about games like Grand Theft Auto where you can torture people in various ways to your hearts' content.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 04:09 AM

I think the Twain books are there because some people believe there are elements of racism in them.

Also, I would expect a list like this in a country that has laws about "hate speech" and "hate crimes."

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 06:11 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry_Finn#Criticism

Haven't read Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn since
I was a kid, but other than the liberal use of
THE"N"WORD by ignorant white people, and in the
case of Huck's "pappy", white trash, the only
facet of slavery ever mentioned is the fact that
Huck's co-adventurer was a run-away-slave, and
that only as a descriptive, just as Aunt Polly
was "a Widow Woman".

Banning a charming piece of literature written
and set in rural America prior to...but written
soon after the Civil War, in a vain attempt to
pretend that slavery never existed is ridiculous.

btw
what I took away from "Mark Twain" was his
literary device of narrating in the vernacular.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 06:45 AM

I bothers me terribly that folks think they need to censor books or documents written at a time when our customs and mores were different. By doing this we are losing a sense of history. It's a shame.

Like those who want to censor
Stephen fosters songs. A shame.

About slavery and trying to forget it happened. It didn't. We need to remember it so it won't happen again. But we don't need to censor it. We don't need to change the accounts written during that time. We need to read exactly how those involved discussed it. I've been reading some diaries of those during the civil war from the south and from the north. Reading how southern monied folk talked about their "servants" .
As for those folks who are descendants of slaves, they should not be embarrassed or forgetful of that experience. They should, instead, embrace it. To endure that part of history is a great achievement. I applaud them. That's how I personally look upon a person of descent from slavery. I don't look with disdain but with reverence.

I was reading about Kareem Abdul Jabar recently. I remember when he changed it from Lewis Alcinder after he became a pro in the NBA. He had researched his family true to find that they were slaves under a man named Alcinder. Thus his name. So , of course, he might want to change it.

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 07:58 AM

Twain was powerfully against slavery. Huck is an innocent whose treatment of Jim is problematic (after all, Huck is a product of the world that raised him) but ultimately profoundly humane. Twain creates Huck at the intersection between received social practices on the one hand, and innate innocent humanity on the other. Given the mythology of America as the cultural innocent faced with the complexities of the world (see Innocents Abroad), Huck is an avatar of America. Hemingway, also banned I see, once said that all American literature flows from Huck Finn, and I think he's absolutely right.

About the N-word in Huck. Not to use it, or to edit the text so that it disappears, is to falsify the history of this country. The political equivalent is Sarah Palin's idiotic statement that the Founding Fathers worked to get rid of slavery, when in fact they enshrined it in the Constitution. To my mind, erasing the past is a much much worse problem than facing it squarely. Yes, this country was built on slavery. Yes, this country struggled mightily to get rid of slavery. Yes, we're still struggling with the consequences of slavery.

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 08:59 AM

True dat
'whitewashing' the past won't change it.

I caught myself yesterday watching a movie in which
some guy takes a long pull on a cigarette.. and it
set off all sorts of reflexive alarms in my head
that I wasn't expecting... "OMG! WHY? Don't he
know any better..?"
eek shocked

..not a judgement... just an acknowledgement that
we change things that we once took for granted
all the time...without even realizing it.

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Banned books - 09/24/13 01:33 PM

Yeah Cel, when I watch old 40s movies where the 'little woman' is supposed to stay at home barefoot and pregnant, and all the stuff that goes along with the times, I realize how times have changed.

They were sweet times in many ways but not all were precious moments I'd like to return to.