Let's see how fast it will sell...

Posted by: John Rougeux

Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 04:41 PM

Just put my wife's iPhone 4s up on CL for a reasonable price of $250. I put Text only to my number, let's see how quickly it sells.

I sold my iPhone 4 last year on CL for $200 cash in about 10 minutes.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 04:47 PM

10 minutes! And it gets recycled and back in the system like things really should.

I should look into avenues like this more. I remember putting up my install CDs for older OS X versions like Panther up on an auction site on a whim. I think I made nearly as much as I bought them for. Things have value.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 04:54 PM

I'll give this until Monday then it goes on ebay but I doubt it'll last that long.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 06:43 PM

You should check out ebay for a better price. The 4s models are dual band GMS and CDMA, they go for a lot of money in good shape. You can have your provider unlock it before you sell too.

Unless I read what's been selling on ebay wrong, it's worth a whole lot more.

Mine still has AppleCare until next June, and has been in an OtterBox since day 1. I'm going to wait for the dust to settle, buy out my contract for around $185, get a 5s under a new contract, sell my 4s, and probably make money. Worst case break even.

Look on ebay, tell if I'm missing something. iPhone 4s, filtered by Sold listings.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 07:14 PM

The iP4 32GB are going for 250 on Ebay.....

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 07:25 PM

I looked and lots are going unsold

I think some 32GB are going for. $250 but those are the "4", not the 4s

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 08:08 PM

$668

Filtered by 4s 16G Used Unlocked Sold North America.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 08:12 PM

LOL.. that's right where I live.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 08:18 PM

OK.. I didn't know I could have ATT unlock my phone for me... now the price has jumped to an easy $400!
I'm upgrading to the 64 GB 5S now. I was on the fence... since 32 GB seems like almost enough... but I never have enough movies on it for my daughter and the 720 video is going to eat up even more when shooting those 120 fps slo-mo sequences.

64 bit AND 64 GB goodness.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/31/how-to-check-iphone-factory-unlocked/

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 08:55 PM

It's a 4 not 4s right? Still, I see the 4 is going for close to $400. Still trying to figure out what market is paying that much for a product released over 3 years ago, they're not even dual band. I guess they are $300 cheaper than a new 5s.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/20/13 09:04 PM

yeah... mines a 4.
I think they pay for them to ship overseas.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 07:52 AM

OK...
Talk to me like I'm an idiot... crazy

Why are people paying $668 for USED iP4s
when I can get them NEW from AT&T for $49
(plus the obligatory 2yr. yadayada plan?)

I don't 'get' the business of "unlocked"
...what am I missing here?

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 09:40 AM

I think it's either for those who break/lose their phone and don't want to pay however much it would cost to replace...

OR...

This way it's not committing them to a contract

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 09:41 AM

Found out that through the physical ATT store, they said to go online to unlock it but that takes 48 hours up to 5 business days.

I just called ATT and they did it then.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 10:11 AM

Someone can now use the "ATT" unlocked phone on any network and pay as they go. They need to amortize the payments into their plan. Yeah... you can get a new "refurbed" iP4 with a new plan and pay the same or more as buying one unlocked and paying only for minutes and data.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Celandine

Why are people paying $668 for USED iP4s
when I can get them NEW from AT&T for $49
(plus the obligatory 2yr. yadayada plan?)

I don't 'get' the business of "unlocked"
...what am I missing here?
Unlocked means that you can use it with any carrier. If you bought it through ATT you used to be locked to using it only with ATT. When it's unlocked you could use it with any carrier. List of carriers.

Now about that GSM CDMA thing on that page, there are two different kinds of cellular networks, GSM and CDMA. ATT and T-Mobile use GSM for example, Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, CDMA doesn't exist overseas.

Not all iPhones are created equal in what bands they support. Up to and including the 4 they were either GSM or CDMA depending on your carrier. The 4s was the first dual band, GSM and CDMA, so unlocked it can be used with any carrier here or overseas. When going overseas you just buy a different sim card to make it work with a carrier there and not incur massive roaming charges.

The 5 has 3 versions. A US GSM version. An International GSM version for the different LTE (LTE=faster download) bands overseas. A CDMA/GSM model, but you have to go through Verizon or other CDMA carrier to get one. ATT only sells the GSM.

People want to buy phones outright rather than go for a contract because it's lots cheaper to buy the phone, and go with a prepaid month to month plan. To get something comparable under contract it would be $112, the only difference is you'd have 3G download under contract, 2G prepaid plan, but you can add more for 10$ a G.

Under contract you're paying $1000-1500 or more extra for them to front you a phone for 2 years, and locked into them. The prepaid has more options for those that don't use it often. But you do have to come up with a few hundo to get started, as compared to best case .99 and sign the contract.

The unlocked and dual band are the biggest selling points.

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 12:03 PM

Sold it for $250 cash locally. smile I could have put it up on ebay and possibly got more, but I'm happy and didn't have to deal with online or shipping.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Let's see how fast it will sell... - 09/21/13 04:27 PM

I'd like to look into the Pay-As-You-Go option
since I pretty much only use my iP3s as a phone
and not that very much (I'm not a ratchet-jaw)
and keep my Texting down to "I'm on my way" &
"Get TWO Loaves while you're there".

We've been off contract for some time, but still
paying the same outrageous rates every month.

...and AT&T is actually my preferred carrier in
as much as you can't swing a cat without hitting
one of their towers in this area... and neither
of us have ever EVER dropped a call in 5 years.