Dohyo update

Posted by: lanovami

Dohyo update - 09/20/13 03:52 PM

UPDATE on the ages of of sumo wrestlers as compared to ME smile There are still exactly 4 wrestlers still fighting on that are older than me (all barely older than me, and all in lower divisions, making only a small living allowance). There are now 36 wrestlers who were born after I moved to Japan. In maybe 18 months, there will be wrestlers younger than my son. You have been warned.

*Dohyo is what the clay and straw ring they compete in is called. I figured if I used sumo in the title no one would click on it. blush
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dohyo update - 09/20/13 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
*Dohyo is what the clay and straw ring they compete in is called. I figured if I used sumo in the title no one would click on it. blush
I would have clicked, I hang on your every word. smirk

Re: Dohyo update - 09/20/13 05:38 PM

Heh. I appreciate that I really do.

Addendum: for what it's worth there are currently 632 active sumo wrestlers. Maybe less than expected?
Posted by: Papa

Re: Dohyo update - 09/20/13 05:59 PM

I always watched Sumo wrestling on tv when I was in Japan. I watched Waqon Train because it was funny to hear the Indians speaking Japanese. It would make me homesick too.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 01:17 AM

Hey Papa, if you ever want to see it again, these past few years they have a live feed every tournament day. There is one going on right now.

link

Scroll about halfway down to where it says live feed.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 01:37 AM

It will run everyday until Monday US time, 6pm to 4am US central time if I a doing my time difference math correctly.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 08:09 AM

Thanks for the link. I read through the pdf about Sumo and will try and watch as much as I can. There was a tournament going on while I was in Atami on R and R from Vietnam. The bar tender had the tournament on the tv and she would explain what was going on and what it meant.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 02:40 PM

I can tell you have some familiarity with it, because anybody who doesn't generally calls it "sumo wrestling" as opposed to "sumo" as it is called in Japan.

English wikipedia is also chock full of information - disclaimer: I wrote and/or edited a heck of a lot of it. smile

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 02:48 PM

By the way, the most watched bouts in the top two divisions are the ones that would be on midnightish to 4 am central US time, not an easy time to be up for most, I suspect. I expect there are ways to record the stream, but I have never done something like that. Having said that, there is a big enough fan base of people outside Japan, many of who have never seen sumo live.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 06:41 PM

The Sumo Association page is having trouble today for some reason. Luckily they recently switched to Ustream and you can see it there.

big fat guys

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:07 PM

In one of the earlier matches the judges were called in and it appeared to me that they called it a draw. Is that possible?

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:23 PM

When was it? Just now? There used to be draws, way back when up to maybe the early 1900s, but they are no longer allowed.

ps I am watching the feed now myself.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:27 PM

Ah, right, the judges were called in, this just means they want to be certain the call by the ref or gyoji is the right call. There are 5 of them, all dressed in black. They are all former wrestlers, high ranked ones. They used to go by their judgment only, but now instant replay has the final say. They don't always reverse the call btw.

Just after a bout, you can see the direction the gyoji points his fan, west or east, in the direction of where the original wrestler was standing when they start the bout. This designates the winner.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:33 PM

If by any chance you are watching right now, the judge in black to the left of the screen is Dejima, who in his prime had the most feared initial charge in sumo.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:44 PM

I have been watching off and on since it started. I did not see the ref point either way before the judges were called in. I may have missed it. Both opponents were called back to the ring after the judges conferred and I did not see him point east or west after they were called back. I must have missed the initial call.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/22/13 07:48 PM

He doesn't point again after judges conferred, but he is required to point one way or the other immediately after the bout on his best judgment. You get better at watching for it once you get used to it.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/24/13 03:14 PM

So someone finally beat sumo's top dog Hakuho again - this time it was the up and comer, Goeido. It only took
10 bouts this time. Before that he was on a run for another consecutive unbeaten record. And I think it needs to be pointed out that the guy who beat him last time was Harumafuji - ironic as Harumafuji seems to get nothing but grief from the pundits that continue to harp that he is not yokozuna quality.

whistle

linkage, of course wink

Re: Dohyo update - 09/24/13 03:34 PM

Recently, all eyes are on this guy:

O-suna-arashi, the first sumo wrestler from Egypt as well as the African continent. He came to Japan with little but hope he could join a sumo stable and the rocketed through the ranks. He has the perfect physique for sumo and overpowering strength. He is just about to make the highest division and will really rock things there. He has the personality to make him a bad boy in sumo, something people love to hate here. Where's the popcorn?

image won't link, here's an article with a pic

ps O suna arashi means Big Sand Storm by the way. wink

Re: Dohyo update - 09/24/13 03:43 PM

Another one to watch is this guy, Endo. He was also a high school and college star so was allowed to become a pro at a higher rank than 98 percent of wrestlers. He is still using his family name as his ring name, which I suspect will change soon enough. He rose quickly enough that he entered the top division (just ahead of the above Osuna-arashi) without yet having a top knot. He has the perfect physique and technique for sumo. He is already a huge fan favorite though he just entered the top division this tournament. He is the next great Yellow Hope in a sport recently dominated by foreigners.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/27/13 07:59 PM

Who is the judge with the white hair? He doesn't look Japanese but it is hard to tell from the feed. In one of the early matches a young lightweight was going up against a much heavier man. The lightweight was well back from the white. When they touched he held back and the other man just reached out and slapped him in the face. Is that frowned upon or considered fair play?

Re: Dohyo update - 09/27/13 09:04 PM

The judge with the white hair is Minatogawa. That is his elder name, his name when active in sumo was Daitetsu. He is Japanese.

There are no weight classes as I suspect you know. You can stand as far back from the white line as you want as long as you are in the circle, though most don't. Yes, you can slap in the face. It is called "haridashi". You are however, not allowed to pull on another's top knot or you are disqualified.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/27/13 09:05 PM

The tournament ends Sunday, Saturday your time, so enjoy it while you can! smile

Re: Dohyo update - 09/29/13 04:20 PM

Well, the tournament is over.

Once again, Mongolian Hakuho took it, for his fourth championship in a row. He is on a roll to have the most championships ever.

His "rival" fellow Mongolian Harumafuji, didn't put up much of a challenge but I don't count him out.

Much more exciting is the two newcomers Endo, the Japanese hope, and Osuna-arashi, the Egyptian who are sure to become regular rivals in the near future.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/29/13 05:13 PM

I watched the final match on youtube. I can't stay up late enough to watch it live. I saw some discussion about them asking Harumafuji to retire if he doesn't win more. Wouldn't that be a little quick? I think he finished 10-5 in this tournament.

Re: Dohyo update - 09/29/13 05:51 PM

Yes, the bar is raised high for Harumafuji. I am not sure why. There have been less successful yokozuna. But yokozuna are expected to get 13-2 or better most of the time. There is always "pressure", nothing can actually be done to force them to retire. And they can't get demoted either, the only way out is death or retirement.

Re: Dohyo update - 10/02/13 04:30 PM

One of the 4 hangers on who is still older than me in the sport of sumo has just retired. Koriyama, enjoy your retirement. He only retired because his stable closed and the stable that took on the stable-less wrestlers wouldn't take him because of his age. He was the youngest of the 4. The 3 remaining started sumo in 1986 more or less straight out of junior high school. After them, it is a 3 and a half year gap before you get to the next oldest wrestler.