Grand Theft Auto 5

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 06:35 AM

My life is officially on hold now. laugh

Anyway, great game and loads of fun. Best one yet IMO. Lots of fun stuff to do in it, like mountain biking!

But once again we're going to see the endless discussion of violence and video games. Personally I'm kind of tired of it, and I'm also tired of seeing kids 15-16 and under being given a game like this by their parents. Rockstar has repeatedly said the GTA series is a game made by adults, for adults and even said buying this game for your kid makes you a lousy parent. I saw a youtube video of a boy who looks all of 8 being given the game by his mom and he gets all hysterical and cries.

What.. the.. f*ck.

5 minutes after installing it he'll be bombarded by 200 uses of "n*gger", 150 uses of "f*ck" and 75 uses of "sh*t" - and that's just the first 10 minutes of dialogue. Then his parents will be wondering why they walk in and see a full on nude stripper, or some guy nailing a girl in a side alley because they didn't bother to see the "NOT FOR UNDER 18" label.

Idiots.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 06:37 AM

My son is after me all the time, he's 14, to get this game. I absolutely forbid it. I have never played it myself, but have read stuff like what you wrote above - and I will go back to this post if I ever have any doubts.

My son insists he has friends who play it that are his age.

I am not entirely convinced it is appropriate for adults either.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 06:48 AM

My son asks me if he's "mature enough" to get it. He's 13. Yeah...right. That game will never be in my house even if he's over 18.

He says that friends of his has the game, why can't he. Well, it's cause I'm the parent and I make the rules..tough.

I never understood the attraction to violence and profanity/nudity in games. Give me a good racing game like Need for speed. smile

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 06:51 AM

And I'll show my son your thread too, John, if he tries the "other kids have it" line on me again.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 07:12 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/20...c-torture-scene

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 07:15 AM

God Almighty. (after seeing your link Nuke). What happens to the day when they really perfect virtual reality experiences or at least make it cheaper - and you can do such things and really feel like you are doing it? Will we have finally gone too far?

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 07:23 AM

Too late, we already have when we consider stuff like this "great game and loads of fun".

I wonder if Sarge has had to do that yet? And if not, will this change his statement?

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 07:24 AM

Hey sarge,
Do you have kids? How do you prevent them from watching/hearing the game, if you do in fact have kids?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 07:41 AM

Art imitates life?

GTA type violence to get the game...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/17/grand-theft-auto-stabbed-robbed-asda

Why do they make games like this? Easy. 800 million dollars in sales on the day of release.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/20/13 10:06 AM

IF it were only available for adults.. I'd agree, but we all know there are loads of irresponsible, cowardly parents out there that will let their kids have it just to SHUT them up ! crazy

I've never played any of the GTA series, because I don't get the fun of stealing cars, shooting civilians & police, and running over everything in sight, much less the language. Road race- yeah fun, but it can be much more reality (like NASCAR) and less violent and - the foul language. That's just shock value to appeal to KIDS !

Violent games are like guns, some responsible people can handle them properly but there are 10,000s that can't and don't and we end up with Newtons, DC navy yard, Aurora, Columbine... etc. I have played a few violent games like Diablo years ago, but it was FANTASY,& fairy tales not real streets, and real people.

Sorry we disagree on this one Sarge... I like you.. wink
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 - 09/23/13 08:03 AM

Yeah I did do the torture mission, it's over the top and cartoony, like the rest of the game. They get the psycho character Trevor to do the torturing, and the other game character Michael to assassinate the target. Pretty much a statement on how the US renders people to other countries to torture.

I think people kind of miss the point with these games, as they aren't developed in the states. Rockstar North that developed this game is headquartered in Scotland. Rockstar Toronto did GTA4, and is headquartered in Canada. Everything that happens in them is a caricature of how other places view the U.S.