Sears

Posted by: DLC

Sears - 09/19/13 04:51 PM

OK they tried to burn me back in the 1970s when I was a poor Grad student- I cut up my card and never looked back. Last year when we moved to Texas my wife wanted a Kenmore Washer and dryer so I gave in and she opened a new account and we purchased those on a promotion- no interest for 12 months IF PIF ...(but it's deferred interest). I also bought a lawn tractor on 9/20/12 but it wasn't delivered until 10/20/2012 (backordered) BUT our promotional deadline was still left as 9/20. Just learned today I have 5 days to pay off the $620.11 balance or face >$290 in interest fees (on the mower) ! I've bought other items from them but I find most of my extra payments went to those purchases and not to pay down the promotional portions !!
I've spent close to $5000 with them the past year and this is the way they treat FSCK you !!??

So Sears again is history with me ! FSCK EM !! mad mad mad mad mad

LETTER :

Dear Sir:

I am closing my Sears MasterCard account (Cardmember: DLCox; account ending in: 0000) primarily because of the way you do business. A year ago, my wife and I relocated and bought a washer and dryer, and a lawn tractor on our Sears account. The total was over $4000, however our credit limit at that time was only $4000 (even though we have ~$1 million in assets and 401(k)s- and a credit rating over 725) so we paid the extra in cash. Washer and dryer was purchased on or about September 2, 2012 and the lawn tractor on September 20, 2012. The lawn tractor was back ordered and was not delivered until the third week of October some time around October 20, yet our promotional deadline was still set at September 20 and never adjusted. I DID NOT have the merchandise in hand on Sept 20th !! Furthermore, in the past year, I've paid more than $4000 into my Sears account. So my promotional balance should be $ 0. However, I just recently learned that part of the payment that I was making above the minimum did not go to the promotional balance but rather our revolving balance. In addition, the operator told me that all payments went to pay off the lowest interest portions of the account before they went to apply to the higher interest or promotional parts of the account. This obviously shows that Sears is only out for themselves and doesn't give a "hoot in hell" about their customers nor their customers financial interests. I will not do business with scam artists. You're clearly being deceitful and dishonest about how you handle people's account so that you can trigger the 12 or 24 month deferred interest. One has to go out of their way even when they're making consistent and substantial payments to be sure they don't get burned. How convenient is it for me, the customer, that every time I make a payment I have to call Sears and tell them where to apply the money? That is a pain in the ass !!

I have seen these types of business practice before from Sears back in the 70s when I canceled my card then, and this is exactly why your Corporation lost great prominence in the 80s and 90s because people got fed up with this type of business behavior. Keep this up and I think you'll go the way of JC Penney. The only thing that saving your bacon right now is the Kenmore line and the Craftsman line. If you didn't have those, you would be a ghost town. But I can live without both in the future; you’re not the only store in town.

Sincerely,
David

Posted by: MrB

Re: Sears - 09/19/13 08:05 PM

I hate it when company's think they have to do this
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Sears - 09/19/13 11:40 PM

Hope you made it clear to them that you'd be passing
this information on to people quite literally NATION
WIDE in order that everyone you know would steer
clear of them in the future. grin "Uhavaniceday!"

I had something similar happen to me recently but
not not to the tune of anywhere close to the amount
they socked you for but...

On my way to Physical Therapy last month, the fellow
who assisted me in taking my seated walker out of
the backseat of the car pulled off the knob of the
locking device that makes it easier to get in and
out of the back seat (esp. since I'm usually the
only one around to wrestle it back in after any
trip to store etc.)

ANYWAY... The walker is made by Drive Medical..
The knob in question is a screw-on aluminum knob
that probably costs $0.50 to manufacture (at most)
...but when I called Drive Medical, they said I had
to go through a "Provider" who'd then have to
order the part.......Hokay.... smirk wotevah...

But I then asked, "While I have you on the phone,
can you please give me the Exact Part# since I
don't see it listed on the schematic..."

So he pulled up the schematic on his computer...
...and waited for him to locate it...............
then waited as he contacted Tech Support.........
only to be told to call them directly instead..?

Hokay...woteveah....?

Here's where it gets good;
Not only do I need to locate a "Provider" to order
the part.. the little SCREW-ON KNOB CANNOT BE
SOLD SEPARATELY ... since it's part of the locking
device to lock the folding undercarriage for the
entire walker.
smile "sorry"

After being reminded for the 5th time that it had
to be ordered thru "A Provider" I asked for a
"ball-park-figure" of what it would cost.... frown

$53.36... and that was to "The Provider"... who
could then charge ME whatever he wanted to.

SOOooo Remember the Name: DRIVE MEDICAL
...And Remember to TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS...! smirk cry

lil red knob__/
Posted by: steveg

Re: Sears - 09/20/13 03:30 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave... Credit Card Survival Rule #1: Never ever accept a retail house credit card. The interest rates are always markedly higher than most regular cards, and the majority are issued through GE Capital, which is code for Loan Sharkus Maximus!

Rule #2 is run screaming from any No interest 'til... promotion. It's fiscal quicksand. eek
Posted by: DLC

Re: Sears - 09/20/13 09:50 AM

Cel- no I was a devious SOB about spreading the news... wink

Hey 2 can play that f-ing game !! grin

That Drive Medical sounds more like a Medical "Drive-By" ! mad

And Steve- you are so right. But my wife talked me into it- NO excuses, I should have learned from the 70s, but foolish me I thought they might have learned some lessons from their decline in the 80s-90s and changed... stupid me !! blush

You mean "fiscal Afghanistan" don't ya !! laugh

Posted by: Nana

Re: Sears - 09/20/13 10:17 AM

WOW! I've never had any issues with Sears when purchasing large appliances. HOWEVER, recently I went to them in search of a portable dishwasher (my new apt does not have a dishwasher. mad ) and they only had 2 on the floor, a small one & a huge one, both the same brand. WTF?
Online store had a lot of brands. I politely told them, I am taking my $$$ elsewhere.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Sears - 09/20/13 10:58 AM

On a different look. My Kenmore washing maching went down early this year. I purchased a new Crosley. Shame the Kenmore went bad, but I bought it in 1976. I suppose 36 years isn't too bad. It's companion dryer, purchased at the same time is still working fine.

Dave