The Leidenfrost Maze

Posted by: NucleusG4

The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/05/13 05:20 PM

That moment when you pour egg onto the frying pan and it's so hot it skates around...?
That's Leidenfrost.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/05/13 05:45 PM

Wow. The labyrinth was great!
Posted by: DLC

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/05/13 07:17 PM

Why do they call it LeidenFROST when it's Hot ? crazy

Named after some ?

Amazing stuff... love slow motion photography and also high speed. When I taught 8th grade science back in the early 70's blush I showed my kids a movie about time.. it showed a fly taking off in slowmo, and tankers going through the Panama canal in 2 min.. The best was a USC football game in about 90 sec !! The bands marching was a hoot !! cool stuff - they loved that movie !
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/05/13 07:32 PM

Quote:
taught 8th grade science back in the early 70's

Sooo… that makes you… shocked
Nevermind. wink
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/05/13 09:08 PM

A REALLY Old Fart wink

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 03:38 AM

Quote:
Why do they call it LeidenFROST when it's Hot ?

Dunno... so I looked it up.

The Leidenfrost effect is a phenomenon in which a liquid, in near contact with a mass significantly hotter than the liquid's boiling point, produces an insulating vapor layer which keeps that liquid from boiling rapidly. This is most commonly seen when cooking; one sprinkles drops of water in a pan to gauge its temperature—if the pan's temperature is at or above the Leidenfrost point, the water skitters across the metal and takes longer to evaporate than it would in a pan that is above boiling temperature, but below the temperature of the Leidenfrost point. The effect is also responsible for the ability of liquid nitrogen to skitter across floors. It has also been used in some potentially dangerous demonstrations, such as dipping a wet finger in molten lead or blowing out a mouthful of liquid nitrogen, both enacted without injury to the demonstrator. The latter is potentially lethal, particularly should one accidentally swallow the liquid nitrogen.

It is named after Johann Gottlob Leidenfrost, who discussed it in A Tract About Some Qualities of Common Water in 1796.
Posted by: MrB

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 03:48 AM

That's is so fascinating

Dave

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 04:01 AM

Using the Leidenfrost Effect... MythBusters dip their wet fingers in molten lead.

Posted by: Pirate

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 06:26 AM

Cool stuff
Posted by: MrB

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 07:26 AM

I've seen them do this. Is this the same effect when people walk across burning embers. As I recall that was due in part, to the charcoal coating between the skin and fire. But it's been some time since I've seen that segment.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: The Leidenfrost Maze - 09/06/13 09:17 AM

Hush Kate !! wink

or a fart older than dirt laugh

Yes in our lab, I could stick my finger in liquid N2 for a sec or 2 but don't leave it... My 98.6 F finger instantly caused the N2 to boil creating an insulating layer of vapor. BUT after 2-3 sec, that finger begins to cool and the vapor disappears and if the liquid touches the skin it can cause severe burns. eek OUCH !!

I loved the science man that gave shows at our school. One trick was to put a banana into liquid N2 until it froze and then shatter it with a hammer! Cool tricks !!