Walmart and minimum wage.

Posted by: NucleusG4

Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/03/13 06:46 AM

Walmart has record profits and yet pays its employees so little they need to be on government assistance.

Someone is finally putting their foot down.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-...ge-retail-giant
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/03/13 06:56 AM

Walmart is despicable. When I lived in small-town Illinois back in the 80s, I discovered that Walmart had systematically opened stores in communities within a 30-mile radius of where I lived. All told there were about 8 stores that they opened. The result was that the Walmarts led to the closing of almost all the small mom and pop stores in all those towns. And then when that had happened, Walmart systematically shut down all but one of the store that it had opened, so that now there were no shops in the towns, and people had to get in their cars and travel 15 or more miles to go shopping. Hateful people.

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/03/13 07:06 AM

Yeah.. I hate that chain. I refuse to go in there... but my wife "needs" stuff there so once in a while I succumb.
Then I leave feeling dirty....
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/03/13 07:10 AM

It is not only WalMart, the trend in my area is to pay only minimum wage and then only work a person "part time"...20 to 25 hours a week...not only does a worker get low pay but absolutely no benefits...even if someone is lucky enough to get to work a 38 hour week (still considered part time here) the $250 or so is less than what that person could get on public assistance...

At a grand a month before tax and having to work for it, or more than a grand in assistance and not working most will choose not working

For a family of three food EBT (food stamps) is over $400,
EBT cash, sometimes called TANIF is another $400, another $300 for unemployment per person so thats $600, thats $1400 cash with no tax taken out..then add to that free baby sitting or day care,
free food from various churches, free public transportation,and getting on disability is not that hard..add another unknown dollar amount...plus any income from child support payments that are used not for the children....free college classes...
not to mention someone in the household is working off the books
for cash...makes perfect since to me not to work on the books

There are cases where a household needs help and it should be given those those people who need it

In the end if businesses would pay a living wage there would be more people who would be working, and paying taxes
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/20/13 05:08 AM

"And then when that had happened, Walmart systematically shut down all but one of the store that it had opened, so that now there were no shops in the towns, and people had to get in their cars and travel 15 or more miles to go shopping. Hateful people."

Had never heard something like that. In Japan mom and pop stores tend to survive here. I am not sure what it is. One is loyalty, which is highly prized here. Also, a notoriously convoluted supply system, which while making prices higher has also kept big businesses (including Walmart) at a loss how to streamline it for cheaper prices.

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/20/13 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Had never heard something like that. In Japan mom and pop stores tend to survive here. I am not sure what it is. One is loyalty, which is highly prized here. Also, a notoriously convoluted supply system, which while making prices higher has also kept big businesses (including Walmart) at a loss how to streamline it for cheaper prices.

That has been the general M.O. of Walmart nation wide for many years now...
====

Quote:
It has also been known to open up a discount store, drive out all competition and then close that same store to open up a supercenter somewhere else. Therefore, the community is deprived of both local business and its Wal-Mart.

===

Quote:
Government Subsidies: Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the world, is the beneficiary of billions of dollars in incentives and tax breaks not available to smaller competitors. According to Good Jobs First, Wal-Mart receives over 1 billion dollars a year in subsidies and that only takes into account 244 stores and distribution centers for which data was available. Contrary to what Wal-Mart proponents say, neighborhood retailers are not afraid of competition. They are, however, worried when the government creates an unlevel playing field in favor of retail behemoths.

===

Quote:
Health Care: More than two thirds of Wal-Mart workers do not participate in the company’s health plan, due to high premiums and deductibles. In order to obtain care, many of these low wage earners turn to government-funded (i.e. taxpayer-funded) program, costing each and everyone one of us in the end. Nearly 700,000 Wal-Mart employees rely on government programs and Wal-Mart workers and their families are the number one users of public healthcare in states such as Florida, Georgia, Iowa and Arkansas.

===

http://www.momandpopnyc.com/fact%20sheets/smallbusiness.pdf
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/20/13 06:31 AM

The part of your post I had heard the most of was the last part about health care - even before all the Obamacare attention. Not surprised Iowa is on the list. My step-mother worked in personnel and off the record said that no ifs ands or buts, that is exactly what Walmart was aiming for. Will or is Walmart being affected health care insurance legislation?

Though I knew it was bad, I didn't know quite the extent that Walmart had such a detrimental effect on communities.

I admit I still go to Walmart when I am home. It feels like Disneyland. A veritable city full of stuff stuff stuff. Seeing it only once or twice every two years in something else.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/20/13 12:26 PM

I didn't know about it until I experienced it. we moved to IL from Boston, and I didn't even know that WalMart existed. AFAIK there wasn't one in the Boston area back in the mid 80s. Not saying that there were none, just that I had not heard about them and had never seen one.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Walmart and minimum wage. - 09/20/13 01:15 PM

Yep. I try my best not to enter that store. And in my small town it's about the only general store in town.

I drive 10 miles to an neighboring town, though half the pop, for my groceries as Walmart rant our food store out of business 8 yeArs ago. I get my other supplies online.

Dave