M*A*S*H

Posted by: Pirate

M*A*S*H - 08/30/13 06:29 PM

I always liked M*A*S*H and still watch it on a regular basis, but sometimes I forget there were other just as good war type adventures like Hogans Heros, or Baa Baa Black Sheep later called Black Sheep Squadron..MacHales Navy or Sargent Bilko
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/30/13 06:41 PM

Uh, just as good? Really?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/30/13 10:03 PM

Loved MASH, and Hogans Heroes. Started watching Black Sheep Squadron, but lost interest after a while.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/30/13 10:25 PM

Ever seen Hart's War? Bruce Willis movie? It's like one long serious Hogan's Heroes movie. Preferred Hogan's Heroes.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/31/13 08:55 AM

Recently picked up the entire Hogans Heroes DVD set to watch while on the treadmill. I can watch two episodes at a time and am in the second season now. It is kind of odd watching them after seeing Auto Focus! I have always hoped for movie remake with a end of war conclusion. It still my favorite military series though.

MASH got too preachy at the end. The Rat Patrol is another pretty good and as is Combat.
Posted by: DLC

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/31/13 01:17 PM

I really liked the old Combat series with Vic Morrow.... and Tour of Duty in the 80s.
All you've mentioned are good ones too.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: M*A*S*H - 08/31/13 08:46 PM

I catch most of the old war series on youtube...and kinda off topic..Tales from the Crypt too
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/02/13 04:09 PM

I watched M*A*S*H as a little kid in England, in the 70's - and when Henry Blake got killed, I was inconsolable. Mind you, at the same age, I cried all the way home from seeing Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. Them were gritty days.

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/02/13 04:18 PM

People were furious when Henry died.
"It's supposed to be a comedy show!"
No No it wasn't.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/03/13 03:11 PM

Definitely a case of "Sht just got real..." It was really interesting, because we had to get used to the new colonel just as they did. I also really missed Trapper John when he left (what a sunny smile he had!)
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
I watched M*A*S*H as a little kid in England, in the 70's - and when Henry Blake got killed, I was inconsolable.

"Abyssinia, Henry". Quite the episode when it came out. The cast didn't know Henry was going to die until they filmed it. A completely different ending was written. Standing on the chopper pad, as Henry gets ready to leave, the script is written as such:

====

Ambulances start down the hill. The chopper pad is vacated of patients, etc., in a matter of seconds. The engine on the chopper is running. Trapper and Hawkeye give Henry last minute pats on the back then run down the hill after the ambulances. Radar and Henry are the last two on the pad. Radar hands Henry his bag, then comes to attention, saluting. Henry looks at him for a minute, then hugs Radar.

HENRY
You behave yourself or I'll come back and kick your butt.

RADAR
Yes, sir.

Henry starts for the chopper.

RADAR (up)
Say hello to Mrs. Blake!

Henry's aboard. The chopper takes off. CAMERA STAYS on it as it flies off into the distance, and the gang watches it go.

FADE OUT
END OF ACT TWO

TAG
VARIOUS SHOTS OF HENRY BLAKE FROM PREVIOUS SHOWS THROUGHOUT THE SERIES.

THE END

====

Now that's how the scripts were handed out. But they told the cast there was an additional scene written at the end of act two. Wayne Rogers and Alan Alda were given their lines and Burghoff was given his line just before filming started. Here's the additional page:

====

Henry starts for the chopper.

RADAR (up)
Say hello to Mrs. Blake!

Henry's aboard. The chopper takes off. CAMERA STAYS on it as it flies off into the distance, and the gang watches it go.

CUT TO:

INT. O.R. - NIGHT
Hawkeye and Trapper at one table, Hot Lips and Frank at another. Klinger is working, Mulcahy helps. After a beat Radar ENTERS, looking stunned, holding a slip of paper.

TRAPPER
Put a mask on, Radar.

HAWKEYE
If that's my discharge, give it to me straight, I can take it.

RADAR
I just got a message.
(beat)
The Colonel's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. Spun in. No survivors.

No one can speak. The work goes on.

FADE OUT
END OF ACT TWO

====
Posted by: MattMac112

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 12:04 PM

The transitional episodes (Henry leaving, Trapper leaving, BJ coming on board, Colonel Potter's arrival, Frank leaving, Winchester coming on board) were written by Jim Fritzell & Everett Greenbaum. These guys wrote a lot of Andy Griffith show episodes and wrote most of the Don Knotts films: "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", "The Reluctant Astronaut", "The Shakiest Gun In The West."

Interesting thing: they always worked in some kind of "poop" joke into their MASH scripts. Always. Example: when Radar gives Potter the horse, and Potter slips in the manure ("Son, to me that's a tip-toe through the tulips"), that's a Fritzell & Greenbaum script.

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 12:22 PM

And Gary Burghoff got it right on the first take. He had to!
Great stuff.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
I always liked M*A*S*H and still watch it on a regular basis, but sometimes I forget there were other just as good war type adventures like Hogans Heros, or Baa Baa Black Sheep later called Black Sheep Squadron..MacHales Navy or Sargent Bilko

This is what I cut my teeth on:

Entire Series: PlayList
Posted by: MrB

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 01:00 PM

I never really cared for M.A.S.H. Watched it occasionally. I think it was the put down humor in it toward some of the characters. It was common back then and before. Same with Seinfield.

But most everyone else loved that.

Dave

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 02:01 PM

Took me a while to get used to it.
I was used to the original movie.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: M*A*S*H - 09/06/13 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Took me a while to get used to it.
I was used to the original movie.

me too also;
Once you've enjoyed the original "M*A*S*H"
& "Stalag 17" the series seems a trifle silly.

Perhaps you've noticed (...perhaps not...)
but a phrase I often use "Finest Kind" is actually from the Book "M*A*S*H"
Quote:

Trapper receives orders to rush to Kokura, Japan for a medical emergency. Trapper and Hawkeye depart immediately with their golf clubs. The "emergency" turns out to be a routine operation; the anesthesiologist turns out to be "Me Lay" Marston, an old friend of Hawkeye's who works at Dr. Yamamoto's Finest Kind Pediatric Hospital & Whorehouse ("Finest kind" becomes one of Hawkeye's catchphrases).

ok, so I'm still a bit of a Tom-Boy
I grew up watching "World At War" and "Victory At Sea"
with my older brother, and "Catch 22" is STILL my Favorite Book.