Indispensable apps

Posted by: NucleusG4

Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 04:02 PM

Fixing up an older MacBook for my brother. He ppicked it up for $150.00
Seems to be in good shape. I FWTD moded it to my tower and ran Drive Genius on it... reformatted and checked for bad blocks then installed Snow Leopard on it.
PS CS 5 and a couple of the Adobe apps and MS Office 2008.

I have just cloned whole systems the last few times I bought a Mac since I want basically all the same stuff on all of my Macs, but his doesn't require everything that mine do.

So... what are the critical things I will want to install?
I'm just looking for apps that increase OS stability and productivity... not Google Earth and such.. he can decide on those types himself.

Flip4Mac? Is that still relevant?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 04:30 PM

Flip4Mac/Silverlight, Flash, Perian, Adobe Reader if he doesn't want the weight and RAM usage of Acrobat Pro just to read a PDF. Preview usually works okay and has less overhead than Adobe stuff, but Reader or Pro works okay always if Preview doesn't display or play nice.

Java should already be installed I believe. Rosetta for PPC apps.

Did SL come with QuickTime 7 or X, I forget. If it doesn't have 7 might want to install it. QT X Doesn't support plug-ins. Some stuff I still need to use 7 for.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 05:02 PM

Snow Leopard comes w/both QT 10 & QT 7.6.6. Hopefully, your brother also gave you the discs that originally came w/the MB. If QT 7.x is not already installed, you can custom install directly from the original system disc #1.

VLC is a must have. Can play anything you throw at it. I have Flip4Mac but rarely use it.

AppleWorks still works with Snow Leopard.

Stuffit Expander opens anything you throw at it as long as you set it up to do so in its Preferences.

Little Snitch

BOOM! A must have for all laptops & notebooks.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 05:27 PM

Free stuff?
Definitely VLC.
Onyx for System maintenance.
AppCleaner for deleting programs.
EasyFind for a Spotlight replacement. No need to index before use and works great.
Dropbox or Copy for cloud storage.

Paid?
1Password.
Little Snitch to block apps calling home. It's AMAZING how many apps & websites are tracking us.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
VLC, Little Snitch

I can't remember the last time I use VLC other than for converting video, I don't like GUI. MPlayerX does what VLC does, and the GUI looks like QuickTime, forgot to mention that.

Little Snitch, why do you need that? I do know what it is. Unless one is a real Network/Security guru, it's a placebo, especially with OS X. They know who you are and what you do anyway. grin

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:24 PM

PARANOIA will destroy ya. ~Ray Davies- The Kinks.

I got it way back, when a friend of mine who had it, demonstrated all the outgoing connections to who knows who. I bought it once years ago, and assumed it kept me "safe".

Believe me, I'm no guru (I think I've demonstrated that quite well).

Are you saying it doesn't do what it says it does?
/shocked.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:32 PM

HUH? I have installed the OS and Adobe apps and MS Office 2008.
And Flash. Somehow Growl was installed. WTF? I didn't do it and yet there it is...
I know this isn't part of Apples OS installer..... how did this happen?

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:35 PM

I have Perian installed on my system and just checked to be sure. Yet I have not had any updates to it in forever.
Why?
Cuz they shut down.

http://perian.org

They recommend something called Nice Player.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:50 PM

Okay, I always have to explain myself even though I never lie and I'm always right. grin

Although LittleSnitch advertises all of the "security" benefits it offers, they have to sell it, right? it's main use is to block hacked apps from calling home for registration or to check for updates which may break the hacked app. It's one of those "this is what it's used for" apps wink wink, or wink. grin

The rest of the blocked connections one chooses are mainly the developer of the app trying to collect data from cookies about the software they've worked hard to develop to make it better for you in the future. Some say it slows the network down more than helps by checking the multiple IP addresses each web page goes to, especially after the Snitch database grows after long term use.

But what do I know. smirk

Quote:
Believe me, I'm no guru (I think I've demonstrated that quite well).
We do agree on something, and I won't mention the new member you accidentally banned. cry

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I have Perian installed on my system and just checked to be sure. Yet I have not had any updates to it in forever.
Why?
Cuz they shut down.

http://perian.org

They recommend something called Nice Player.
I know Perian is EOL, but for For SL Perian is fine for now. Perian interacts with QT to play video natively. MPlayerX will play what QT 7 or X won't. Just haven't tried Nice. It's a stand-alone app as compared to Perian interacting with QT so it's not really a 1-1 replacement as you need choose it if you need it. With what I recommended QT 7 or X plays everything I've needed, if not sometimes you just need to go to "Open With/MplayerX."

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 07:13 PM

Dammit, Jim. I already agreed to buy the beer. I'M SORRY.

But seriously, I thought that File Vault was supposed to be a Firewall protection, but LS was a step beyond.
Are you saying deleting Cookies on a regular basis is as good as blocking with LS? I browse tons of sights every day, and use AdBlocker, Click2Flash and LS to limit my exposure. Are they unnecessary?

(Don't mean to hijack the thread).
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Although LittleSnitch advertises all of the "security" benefits it offers, they have to sell it, right? it's main use is to block hacked apps from calling home for registration or to check for updates which may break the hacked app. It's one of those "this is what it's used for" apps wink wink, or wink.

What a turd of an accusation/statement.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Dammit, Jim. I already agreed to buy the beer. I'M SORRY.
grin

Quote:
But seriously, I thought that File Vault was supposed to be a Firewall protection, but LS was a step beyond.
Two entirely different things. LS is a firewall kind of thing, FV encrypts your stuff in your home folder in case your computer gets stolen or something.
Quote:
Are you saying deleting Cookies on a regular basis is as good as blocking with LS? I browse tons of sights every day
Two different things again, but sort of related. Cookies enable web sites, that we visit for free for the most part, to remember log in info which is convenient to me IMO, and to track how often you visit and what your browsing habits are. LS blocks sites from collecting this data if you know how to configure it, but I'm meh on that, doesn't bother me. Tin foil hat stuff IMO.

If you delete a cookie, all that's doing is not telling the web site the last time you were there, what you clicked on while you were there last, and maybe what website you just came from or are going to. Again, meh, get out the hat.
Quote:
I browse tons of sights every day, and use AdBlocker, Click2Flash and LS to limit my exposure.
Exposure to what? It's just marketing mainly. I use AdBlocker just to limit the flashy blinking annoying ads, and until I got a fast enough computer Click2Flash. AdBlocker stops most of that anyway without blocking video like youtube that I want to show up automatically.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Although LittleSnitch advertises all of the "security" benefits it offers, they have to sell it, right? it's main use is to block hacked apps from calling home for registration or to check for updates which may break the hacked app. It's one of those "this is what it's used for" apps wink wink, or wink.

What a turd of an accusation/statement.
What use is it then? Enlighten us instead of just dropping the typical hit and run turd of your own.

It's basically just a paranoid person's GUI for the OS X firewall, plus the interface and what it does is well over the heads of the average user.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 09:25 PM

Exposure to what?
Well… I've either been very lucky, or very proactive, but I've had very little spam with the same email account for years.
I just learned not to post other peoples email accounts blush in (supposedly) secure forums, but other than installing virus protection software, I've had a pretty good run with the few Extensions and 3rd party apps.
When Mavericks is available, I'm going to clean wipe everything, and start from scratch.
If I need to install something, I will, but I'm going to trust in Apple. ROFLMAO! grin

Quote:
It's basically just a paranoid person's GUI for the OS X firewall

Bingo!

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 09:39 PM

Exposure to what?
Well… I've either been very lucky, or very proactive, but I've had very little spam with the same email account for years.
Little Snitch has nothing to do with that. That all has to do with how you use your email address, and your ISP's or web host's filters. Except for Apple's most freebie accounts like yahoo etc have not so good spam filters. I've been using the same emails based out of my website for over 15 years and rarely receive any, I never see it, it's deleted before it even gets to my account. I used to get a bunch years back, but Network solutions now has great filters. Sometimes maybe a little too good, I have to occasionally put domains or email addresses on my white list with them.

My yahoo account on the other hand that I use for most online registrations is another story. I get over 100 every day in my Spam folder, and maybe 20-30 to my inbox. If I have any doubt of the integrity of who is getting my email address I use my yahoo account.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/28/13 09:43 PM

YAHOOOOOO.
Me too.
Thanks, Jim. I think I've learned something tonight.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/29/13 10:15 AM

It's basically just a paranoid person's GUI for the OS X firewall...

Really?
The firewall has a GUI that pops-up with no interaction from the user?
The firewall pops up automatically to let you know an app is sending info out, and tells you exactly where it's sending it, along with a clickable link?
The firewall allows you to configure a customized list of which apps can and cannot send traffic out, including the ability to allow an app to send traffic out to one location and not another – all with the click of a button when you launch the app?

LS puts a simple to use GUI on something that, while built in to the OS, is not the easiest thing to use. For that, it's superb.

...plus the interface and what it does is well over the heads of the average user.
And OS X's firewall isn't? LS and the built-in firewall aren't for average users to begin with.

To say that LS's main purpose is to aid software pirates is kind of silly. Especially when so many developers have built-in workarounds for LS such as not working at all if it detects LS blocking the app. LS does so much more, for those who want (for whatever reason) that much control.

Personally, I find most of the features of LS to be overkill for my needs. But I love the fact that I can see what applications are sending out info, where they're sending it, and how often – without having to actively think about it.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/29/13 11:05 AM

Your first post would have probably had a better response.. if this post had been the first post. Detailed explanation of why you disagreed. Thanks for the review.

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/29/13 11:43 AM

Nuc, aren't you glad you asked? SHEESH! wink

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/30/13 10:09 PM

Your first post would have received a better response from me if you hadn't made the declaration that most users of the app were software pirates.

And from what I see of LS (my version is over a year old, so it may have changed), it doesn't block individual sites, just apps/daemons that try to connect to the outside world - so LS does nothing to block cookies from being placed or read by websites when you visit them (because if you've allowed Safari to connect, then LS doesn't interfere unless a site tries to use a method other than HTTP, etc.).

Re: Indispensable apps - 08/31/13 05:39 AM

You're confused. Reboot said that. Not me. You can't even be bothered to pay attention. Hit and run indeed.

Re: Indispensable apps - 09/01/13 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
To say that LS's main purpose is to aid software pirates is kind of silly.
The ones that really know what it does and are buying it for a specific purpose are those blocking the mothership. The majority buying it though don't really understand what it does, I'll guarantee it. You even said most of it is overkill for your needs, as it is for most people, on top of the fact that most are buying it thinking it protects them. My guess is a lot of those buying LittleSnitch thinking it's keeping them safe also buy MacKeeper due to MacKeeper's marketing aimed at the uninformed, it's a really invasive POS. I've removed MK from many a machine that was slowed down by its "benefits."

From LittleSnitch's main page, feed the fear of the uninformed;
As soon as you’re connected to the Internet, applications can potentially send whatever information they want to wherever they want.

Sometimes they do this for good reason, on your explicit request. But often they don’t. Little Snitch allows you to intercept these unwanted connection attempts, and lets you decide how to proceed.

What harm is the marketing that apps use, or websites use to offer us free content? Other than just blocking marketing data collection, what are the real "security" benefits? They never really explain it on their website outside of one being able to "take control" of their connection.

Quote:
LS does so much more, for those who want (for whatever reason) that much control.
Again, most people have no idea, they have succumbed to the placebo that it is making their browsing a "safe" excursion even though they really don't know what it does or how to use it. Also in these days of high-speed connections are blocking these little msec bursts speeding anything up?

Anyway, that's all for me on this. Go here and explain in detail what practical security benefits there really are in any of this outside of being able to supposedly "take control" of your connection, I'd be glad to listen. Maybe I missed something.

If you're worried about external access to your open ports turn on the Mac firewall for when you're away from home. Most people are behind a router of some kind at home anyway which is a hardware firewall. Using a 12 digit or better password with Caps, numbers, and special characters is the best security. A passphrase is even better and easy to remember.

And it's free.

Re: Indispensable apps - 09/01/13 12:10 PM

What was the original question again NG? grin

Re: Indispensable apps - 09/01/13 12:22 PM

Nanas fault whistle wink

Re: Indispensable apps - 09/01/13 12:28 PM

Nanas fault whistle wink
Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.