Eating style

Posted by: MrB

Eating style - 08/24/13 03:16 PM

Again withe the movie mess up. But it just leads me to another worthless, but to me, interesting bit of knowledge.

I was watching this vey poor western staring Casper Van Dien, Aces 'n Eights. In the film, set in the old west near Nogales AZ., he is shown eating .

The way he was eating wouldn't have been utilized by folks like him in that time period.

He was eating in the European or continental style. Which is holding the fork, tines down in the off hand and holding the knife in the strong hand. Both held in the over hand position. With the handles running along the palm and palms down. Then after the food is cut to continue in that position to use the off hand to transferr the parcel to the mouth

Americans would have been eating in the traditional American style with holding the fork tines down in the off hand and holding the knife in the right only for the cutting. Then transferring the fork to the strong hand where it's held with tines up in an underhand position to transfer the bite sized parcel to the mouth.

I've noticed this discrepancy many times in films.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-mirza-grotts/table-etiquette-two-diffe_b_594518.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette

So, my question is: How do you eat, American or European style.

Me, as you might surmise, I use the American method.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Eating style - 08/24/13 06:39 PM

I will use any method that gets the grub close to my mouth, including bare hands

Re: Eating style - 08/24/13 10:42 PM

After I became more adapt eating with my left hand following breaking my wrist there in the mid '70's , I occasionally ate with both hands. It was just a few years ago after watching people eat that I realized that some people only use one hand to eat and drink with. Me I use whatever hand is closer to the cup or toast or what ever.

After my accident I even used chopsticks left handed and cracked eggs left handed one handed. Still, though, I usually use two hands to crack an egg. Unless I want shells in the mix or want a mangled egg

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 05:59 AM

Like most Americans, I use the American style.

but you're story about switching due to an injury
got me thinking about a bit of family oddity...
We invariably sat in the same preffered positions
throughout every meal while we still lived at home
but were never "taught" silverware etiquette as such.

It wasn't until 20 years later that my older brother
brought up the fact that although our younger brother
was right-handed in every other way... he invariably
ATE left-handed. His wife said, "Yeah! What's with that?"

Jimmy just smiled and said, as a baby, I learned to eat
by mirroring the person sitting directly across from me
at the table (which was me.) and it became a fixed habit.

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 06:38 AM

Now that is interesting.

My ex wife's maternal grandfather was born and rased in England. My wife's younger brothers reveled in watching him eat. They couldn't see how anyone could eat peas by hold his fork tine down and pushing the peas up on the back of the tines with it held convex upward . How he kept those peas from falling off that fork

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 07:02 AM

I always thought it was ironic that the European style (which I didn't know was called that until now) is actually what a left hander naturally would do anyway with no etiquette knowledge.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 08:48 AM

Until I read this thread, I had no clue there is an American & European way of holding eating utensils!
My baby brother who was born left handed was forced by my mother to use eating utensils with his right hand as well as tie his shoe laces the right handed way. I think that was the norm "back in da day." confused

I have traveled the world & saw no difference-not counting chop sticks eating Asians nor using no utensils at all cultures. Although I sure wasn't looking for one.

The things I have learned on the internet.

Posted by: Nana

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
I will use any method that gets the grub close to my mouth, including bare hands

DITTO! laugh
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Originally Posted By: Pirate

DITTO! laugh

+1
works 4 me

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
I always thought it was ironic that the European style (which I didn't know was called that until now) is actually what a left hander naturally would do anyway with no etiquette knowledge.

Actually, a left handler, eating Eruopean style, would hold his fork in his right hand and cut off bites with his knife holding itwith his left. Then eat with the right hand. He doesn't switch hands with the fork.

american style lays down the knife , switches hands, and picks up the fork in his dominant hand,the left.

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 04:21 PM

Related

I'm watching the French film, Farewell my Queen. Iwas waiting to watch how they would eat. Because in 1789 they would be eating in the American style. In one scene showing the servants eating, they have every one basically eating with their fingers with some picking up parcels with their fork.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 05:21 PM

Your first clue the movie was going to suck should have been the 2 main actors.

Casper Van Dien
Bruce Boxleitner

Both are B- movie actors in their prime... and Bruce is definitely past his prime.
My God.. he started out on the MTM show.

Edit: I'm not panning him for his age... but his best work was the Tron series and Babylon 5 and several forgettable tv mini-series in the 70s and 80s.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 06:16 PM

Re: Eating style - 08/25/13 07:38 PM

You are right there. Not a good movie. In fact, I didn't finish watching it after it looked like the final showdown was to be predicable

Dave