Posted by: DLC

42 - 08/17/13 01:18 PM

I thought there was a thread on this movie but I went back 15 pages and couldn't find one.

Regardless, rented 42 from RedBox and it was a great flick. Couldn't help but think watching all the hatred and racism depicted in the movie for blacks, and the black rodeo clown in MO last week. Race relations have gotten better in 65 years, but SADLY we're still not where we should be, yet !

Loved Harrison Ford in the movie.
Posted by: MrB

Re: 42 - 08/17/13 03:25 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the film. Jackie Robinson was a great baseball player. Very special.

Butin making the movie they have been loose with some ofthe facts. Most wont matter too much, but the scene where he is hit in the head with an intensional pitched ball is fiction. It's meant to convey the racial hatred of the day but it has soiled the memory of the pitcher unnecessarily .

http://www.joplinglobe.com/topstories/x508493672/-It-didn-t-happen-that-way?mobRedir=false

But we all know this is just a movie.

But, alas, this too, is fiction.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 42 - 08/17/13 04:24 PM

The answer to the universe.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: 42 - 08/18/13 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

smile That's what I thought.

Re: 42 - 08/18/13 01:59 PM

Well true, he didn't hit him in the head AND he may not have said those words from the mound BUT he did hit JR in the wrist . Was it intentional? No one knows... but Fritz Ostermueller did make some racial comments to his team mates and many thought it intentional. Was he just claiming his 1/2 of the plate as he said and got one too close ? Who knows- only Ostermueller could answer fully that. Rest is here say.

Regardless, JR took a lot of abuse... I'm sure there was much more than in the movie.
AND there's still much racism alive today ... just not so blatant !
Posted by: MrB

Re: 42 - 08/18/13 07:45 PM

I can imagine his being flooded with abuse. I've heard of the many death threats.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: 42 - 08/19/13 07:59 PM

Great movie. I was a big baseball fan in the 40s. Bubble gum trading cards etc. ya know wink

A real tear jerker fo me.

Posted by: Celandine

Re: 42 - 08/19/13 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Well true, he didn't hit him in the head AND he may not have said those words from the mound BUT he did hit JR in the wrist . Was it intentional? No one knows... but Fritz Ostermueller did make some racial comments to his team mates and many thought it intentional. Was he just claiming his 1/2 of the plate as he said and got one too close ? Who knows- only Ostermueller could answer fully that. Rest is here say.

Regardless, JR took a lot of abuse... I'm sure there was much more than in the movie.
AND there's still much racism alive today ... just not so blatant !

Like you don't see the parallel...?
...and how Barack Obama "is 'taking one' for the team"?

It's not easy to set yourself up as a target
in order to overcome long standing barriers.

Re: 42 - 08/19/13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

+1

Re: 42 - 08/19/13 08:34 PM

Oh I see it... hence my last statement !

Plain as the "cr@p nose" on Glenn Beck's face !!

Re: 42 - 08/19/13 08:52 PM

Oh, and I knew you knew what I knew you knew
just by the way you'd framed your statement.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: 42 - 08/20/13 04:13 PM

The answer to the universe and the age I will be in a few months. Still a youngster here though, comparatively. wink
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 42 - 08/20/13 06:01 PM

Youngster? Youngster?? A babe in arms, sir!