Teen tasered to death

Posted by: NucleusG4

Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 04:21 AM

Absolutely!
Anyone caught spray painting an abandoned building should be met with deadly force!

BTW... Welcome to Florida!

This happened about 20 minutes from my house...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08..._n_3728962.html
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 08:21 AM

Something in the story bothered me, if the kid was running away, cops behind him, how did he get taisered in the chest???

I agree about the spray painting, our new skate board park lasted about two days before someone or someones painted the entire surface...trains park on the siding here are fair game too....some public buildings have been cleaned and repainted with some sort of anti graffiti paint, not to mention parked cars from time to time
Posted by: DLC

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 09:04 AM

Hey, "Spray paint Cans don't graffiti the landscape, people do !!" wink

~NSPCA - you guess the acronym ! laugh
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 09:47 AM

An overreacting cop, no doubt. But I'm having a really hard time feeling angry about this. Don't put yourself in the position to be tasered, and you most likely won't be.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 10:04 AM

Ya.. but let the punishment reflect the crime.. he wasn't armed, had not accosted anyone.. he was defacing a bldg. That hardly calls for a taser.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 10:53 AM

Kids better stop being kids cause if they behave like kids they won't grow up to be adults.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Kids better stop being kids cause if they behave like kids they won't grow up to be adults.

OR they could grow up to be adult Kids... aka Congress !! eek

laugh
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 02:28 PM

There have been a series of studies done concerning
the use & potential abuse of less-than-deadly force.
Whether rubber bullets, bean bag bazookas, fire-
hoses, or tasers...military, & the police force
take it as a license to over react, too often
with deadly consequences

NON-LETHAL WEAPONRY AND DETERRENCE DILEMMAS

Tasers – potentially lethal and easy to abuse

...these are just 2 qwik examples...

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 02:37 PM

...da' flip-side...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 05:29 PM

I don't get why they used a taser, but let's bring up some facts. He was a vandal, not a "graffiti artist." It was a misdemeanor, but when he fled and resisted arrest I believe it became a felony.

When a cop says stop, they mean stop.

He should have stopped, from what I understand it would have been community service is all.

As usual hindsight is always 20/20 when it comes to us armchair law enforcement officers.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 05:57 PM

Very simple there is no respect today period.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
I don't get why they used a taser, but let's bring up some facts. He was a vandal, not a "graffiti artist." It was a misdemeanor, but when he fled and resisted arrest I believe it became a felony.

When a cop says stop, they mean stop.

He should have stopped, from what I understand it would have been community service is all.

As usual hindsight is always 20/20 when it comes to us armchair law enforcement officers.

Facts is facts. smile
I never said "graffiti artist"...and I did say he was "defacing a building".
As Shooshie once said.. there's the law.. and then there's the spirit of the law.

You don't have to go exactly by the book. Being an officer is as much about exercising judgement as it is about enforcement.
Some of the young men witnessing the tasering said some of the cops were laughing and high five-ing.
I'm not saying what the officer did was "technically" wrong.. but did he have any other choices? Numerous officers there and they couldn't bring in a teen w/o tasering? Seems like a bit much to me.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/09/13 08:45 PM

Yep, that's tough.

Like Pirate, I think there is more to this situation. There had to be some threat or something.

Dave
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 06:07 AM

I was a kid. I never spray-painted anything I didn't own. I was never tasered. End of story.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 07:31 AM

End of story?
LOL.. w/e.

They didn't have tasers when you were a kid... and graffiti wasn't popular. But I'll bet you got into some shenanigans....
End of Story!

lol...

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 08:02 AM

Reminds me of the old joke that people in East LA aren't allowed to write checks as one can't right a check with a spray can

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 08:07 AM

TAZERs are serious tools . They certainly can be deadly. There wasa young man in my small town a few years ago, who died after being TAZERed . He was high on drugs and was naked at the time supposedly acting erratic .

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 08:27 AM

end of story

literally

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 09:33 AM

No..no...no... it's only the end of story when Dad says.... cool

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 10:54 AM

only Paul Harvey can end a story
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
End of story?
LOL.. w/e. They didn't have tasers when you were a kid... and graffiti wasn't popular. ....
End of Story!
lol...

Not meant as an argument or attempt to "prove" anything, but your statement about graffiti not being popular when Giz was a kid naturally got me wondering when it was popular here in the U.S. I certainly remember "Kilroy was here" and even used the cartoon drawing of Kilroy's nose hanging over a fence while his fingers grasped the top of the boards in my every signature on snail mail.

I headed over to Wikipedia to inform myself on some of the early origins:

Graffiti is often seen as having become intertwined with hip hop culture and the myriad international styles derived from New York City Subway graffiti, however, there are many other instances of notable graffiti this century. Graffiti has long appeared on building walls, in latrines, railroad boxcars, subways, and bridges. The example with the longest known history, dating back to the 1920s and continuing into the present day, is Texino.[13]

Some graffiti had its own poignancy. In World War II, an inscription on a wall at the fortress of Verdun was seen as an illustration of the USA's response twice in a generation to the wrongs of the Old World.

During World War II and for decades after, the phrase "Kilroy was here" with an accompanying illustration was widespread throughout the world, due to its use by American troops and ultimately, filtering into American popular culture. Shortly after the death of Charlie Parker (nicknamed "Yardbird" or "Bird"), graffiti began appearing around New York with the words "Bird Lives".[15] The student protests and general strike of May 1968 saw Paris bedecked in revolutionary, anarchistic, and situationist slogans such as L'ennui est contre-révolutionnaire ("Boredom is counterrevolutionary") expressed in painted graffiti, poster art, and stencil art. At the time in the US, other political phrases (such as "Free Huey" about Black Panther Huey Newton) became briefly popular as graffiti in limited areas, only to be forgotten. A popular graffito of the 1970s was the legend "Dick Nixon Before He Dicks You", reflecting the hostility of the youth culture to that U.S. president.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 11:52 AM

Kilroy would have been tased. Being weak of heart, he would have died, and the course of history would have changed entirely.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/13/13 02:36 PM

I remember Kilroy.. well.. a little after the fact.
But graffiti today has exploded beyond the Kilroy era...IMO.

It's offensive and illegal, no doubt.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 10:14 AM

Coming from a town that has fought for some time to keep gang tags off buildings. I'm questionable with it. Although , the designs and drawings, paintings are many times very artful, unless the "artist " owns or rents the structure where on the grafitti is, it's vandalism .

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 10:22 AM

Vandalism deserves what--torture by electrical overload? We accept tasering so easily as something that's part of the police arsenal, less lethal than guns, or even rubber bullets. But putting electrodes on someone and pumping 50,000 volts, even at a half amp, through them is, in most contexts, simple torture.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Vandalism deserves what--torture by electrical overload? We accept tasering so easily as something that's part of the police arsenal, less lethal than guns, or even rubber bullets. But putting electrodes on someone and pumping 50,000 volts, even at a half amp, through them is, in most contexts, simple torture.

I would agree.

IMO , and it's just that, my opinion. Use of the device should be used only to stop a direct threat on the police or on bystander

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 06:37 PM

It is not the police with tasers that worries me as much as regular Joe citizens who carry tasers for personal "Protection" At least the police have some measure of training to deal with the aftermath while Joe Citizen might have read the operating leaflet...not to mention the police wanta bees that carry these things around, no license or training needed around these parts.

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 08:08 PM

ush!
I must be living a sheltered life
I wasn't even aware that these devices
were available to the public?

Where can I get one? grin
(only half joking -- don't ask)

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/14/13 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine

ush!
I must be living a sheltered life
I wasn't even aware that these devices
were available to the public?

Where can I get one? grin
(only half joking -- don't ask)

Me either. Just to think how handy and fun to have had one those years I taught. sick (just kidding)

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/15/13 09:46 AM

Forget the tasers...teachers in my school district have conceal and carry permits and do......caused a small uproar but in the end the school district won...guns were in...in the classroom, just in case

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/15/13 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Forget the tasers...teachers in my school district have conceal and carry permits and do......caused a small uproar but in the end the school district won...guns were in...in the classroom, just in case

GREAT! grin

Opens up a whole new category: SUICIDE By TEACHER! cool

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/15/13 01:55 PM

My comment on the use of TAZERS was for use for regular everyday discipline and student control. Not for invasions. And was meant as humor sarcasm

Nerve gas might be useful also.

Dave

Re: Teen tasered to death - 08/15/13 02:28 PM

But some over worked stressed out teacher having a bad day just might snap and use the gun for regular everyday discipline and everyday student control if they did not have the gun in the first place things would be different