TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers

Posted by: John Rougeux

TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 05:36 AM

To watch online content.

Time Warner bought out Insight, my cable company. I have Dish for TV and Insight/TWC for internet. Went online to CBS.com and saw this:

Stupid CBS, real stupid.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 06:05 AM

So it goes
Comcast dropped The Movie Channel
...which in OnDemand actually translates
to several channels knocked off my "Favorites" list.

To Paraphrase the fine print on your initial User Agreement:
"We reserve the right to change anything anytime we feel like it."
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 07:51 AM

CBS should not have blocked online content to TWC subscribers in order to pressure TWC to approve their (CBS's) contract requirements.
Posted by: garyW

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 08:10 AM

Time Warner dropped NBC from my area about 2 weeks ago. Last week they dropped Showtime.

On the flip side, I got a free 1-year upgrade on my internet from "Extreme" to "Ultimate" (download now 58 Mbps) grin

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 10:45 AM

58Mbps? Slowpoke! laugh

So they are giving you the upgrade free or the whole thing free? I'm paying $54 for 10Mbps. TWC won't let me choose one of theirs yet until an unknown time.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 10:49 AM

Get a cheapie rabbit ears antenna at Walmart and get a true HD signal for your local broadcast stations. For most people that live in a metro area with close access to the local broadcast towers a plain old rabbit ears is good enough. You will notice the difference in quality. The "HD" offered by cable is compressed, it's not true HD.

Kind of off topic but if you have shows you want to watch it is one way until they figure it out. You may even find that you prefer the local channels with the antenna. Of course you would have to choose a different input source on the TV to go between antenna and the cable box is all.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 11:14 AM

Greed. It has its finger on the off switch, and it's not afraid to use it.
Posted by: steveg

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 11:46 AM

I've had the Ultimate for a while. I beat up on TWC because the rep said it was 50/10 when it's really 50/5, so they gave me two months of the upgrade at no charge. I guess they offer different speed in different areas, because there's no 58 in SW OH.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
58Mbps? Slowpoke! laugh

So they are giving you the upgrade free or the whole thing free? I'm paying $54 for 10Mbps. TWC won't let me choose one of theirs yet until an unknown time.

I've been paying an added $18/mo for the Extreme package and was getting 22 down/5 up. I went to my TWC store to exchange my DVR set top box that died and started asking about how I get the "up to 30 Mbps" I was paying for …. and she offered one year free upgrade to "Ultimate" which will be an extra $10/mo after one year. Great!

Last year I went into the TWC store to re-do my contract which was set to expire and I found they changed their contract packages … I was able to choose more cable channels ala carte and so I dropped some Sports & Spanish channels and got HBO and "extreme internet" for a lesser monthly bill.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I've had the Ultimate for a while. I beat up on TWC because the rep said it was 50/10 when it's really 50/5, so they gave me two months of the upgrade at no charge. I guess they offer different speed in different areas, because there's no 58 in SW OH.

My up speed has yet to see anything higher than 5.8 Mbps.

Also, the Arris modem they supplied has a stronger Wifi signal than my older Airport (which will soon be craigslisted).
Posted by: DLC

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 01:20 PM

Our local DISH has dropped the 2 ABC affiliates (Tyler & Longview) same BS !

Question is "Are they using this as a set up to raise rates on US !!" eek

Wonder what they'd do if they lost 30% of their subscribers all at once !

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 02:44 PM

I'm running at 10Mbps for $41.95/mo thanks to the successful suit years ago by Earthlink and others. It's actually running a little "hot" at just over 11 Mbps lately.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 02:46 PM

Maybe more of us should just cut the cord and go antenna for local and streaming for all the rest. Refurbed Apple TVs are now $75. And then, there are the wi-fi, internet TVs out there too.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 03:21 PM

I value simplicity and convenience too much to cut the cord right now. There are too many hoops to jump through if you like a wide variety of programming.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 03:24 PM

A year ago, I returned our box/DVR from our bedroom so I could cut $20 off our cable bill. Since then, the bill has been raised nearly the $20 I initially saved. Bastids!

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 04:00 PM

I just got a new Arris Surfboard because the old one was toast. The new one has the wifi built in, but the signal is not nearly as strong as my Belkin N750 DB, so I'm still running the bridge.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 04:17 PM

The big reason why I hate the Dish/DirecTV crap, contracts. We have until Oct. next year before we can drop them.

As much as I hate TWC, they at least don't have contracts that I know of.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
A year ago, I returned our box/DVR from our bedroom so I could cut $20 off our cable bill. Since then, the bill has been raised nearly the $20 I initially saved. Bastids!

This is kind of a shout out to everyone.

Mine does the same. They start you out at the good rate, then raise you after the "promo" is over.

If you have other providers to choose from, look up prices on those, and on your provider's website, what you would be paying if you signed on new. Use that ammo to get that rate if you need to. Usually just threatening to switch is enough.

I have been with my provider for 13+ years. Every year when the price went up I would call and get it back to the new customer rate, "or I'd switch" if asking nice doesn't work. I do have 2 cable options. If there's some reason you wouldn't want to switch don't worry, they don't want to lose you.

It's to the point where when it went up last time and I saw it on my bill, I called and they refunded me, and the rep actually told me to make sure I call every year and they will re-up my "preferred customer" rate or something like that.

They want your money. Any income with profit is better than no income. You can bargain with your providers as long as you have other options. If you have at least 2 viable high speed options in your area it's pretty much a lock on getting the new customer rate, or close to it. Just threaten them with switching.

I'm paying maybe about $10+ base more, than when I came on with them, not including HD charge, TV channels same but the internet speed has gone from a screaming 1.5M-256k at the time to 16M-2+M.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 06:52 PM

The big reason why I hate the Dish/DirecTV crap, contracts.
Crap, I didn't know they did that. After contract can you go month to month?

What cable options where you live?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 07:26 PM

Here we have Comcast/Xfinity and Verizon/Fios. I'll never, but never do any business at all with Verizon ever again. We don't have any local broadcast stations, so going off-cable is not an option. So Comcast it is. On the whole it's not too bad. I wish we could have an a la carte menu option. I don't see why I'm stuck with so many channels that I never ever watch but pay for. And yes, I know that all those crap channels subsidize the sports channels, which cost an arm and a leg. But the sports channels are what I don't watch at all. I can live without ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN U, Golf Channel, SportsNet, CBS College Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NFL Redzone, Tennis Channel. Really. Never ever watch any of them.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
The big reason why I hate the Dish/DirecTV crap, contracts.
Crap, I didn't know they did that. After contract can you go month to month?

What cable options where you live?

Yup, 2 year contracts. Sucks.

And we only have 1 cable TV/Internet provider here (TWC). There is ATT/Uverse, but again, I think they like contracts AND I couldn't get Uverse anyways apparently...they didn't run the cable out this way. So, no bargaining chip really.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 07:47 PM

But… But… Golf is so exciting to watch on TV!

I think you forgot The Fishing Channel. crazy
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 07:51 PM

I played the DISH/DIRECT TV tango for four years before I cut it.
Evidently, they didn't like me switching back and forth every couple of years (contract).
But hey, the plus side is, I have these beautiful satellite dishes installed on my roof.
No charge.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 08:00 PM

And we only have 1 cable TV/Internet provider here (TWC). There is ATT/Uverse, but again, I think they like contracts AND I couldn't get Uverse anyways apparently...they didn't run the cable out this way. So, no bargaining chip really.
Can you get DSL? They wouldn't want to lose your Internet either.

Lousiville has only 1 provider? Isn't Comcast available?
Posted by: MrB

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
But… But… Golf is so exciting to watch on TV!

I think you forgot The Fishing Channel. crazy

Reminded me that, people have different favorites. I personally agree with you about the Golf and fishing but I know peeps who those are their favorites. I've a friend who watches HGTV all the time. HGTV used to be Home and Garden TV with shows about gardens along with decorating homes . Now it's just reality type shows about buying houses. I don't think there is a program about gardening at all.

But the bundling of channels the company's have sure sucks us into buying more

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 08:48 PM

Different strokes, MrB. whistle

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
And yes, I know that all those crap channels subsidize the sports channels, which cost an arm and a leg. But the sports channels are what I don't watch at all. I can live without ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN U, Golf Channel, SportsNet, CBS College Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NFL Redzone, Tennis Channel. Really. Never ever watch any of them.
I know they all have to make their coin, but I really think it's more that the major networks want their big cut than the cable provider's decision. If the providers could offer some alacarte menu for a few bucks more a month I know some people that would be glad to be able DVR what they really want to watch in full quality, rather than torrent it, for no income to the cable provider. I was talking to someone the other day that felt that way. smirk
Posted by: Pirate

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/05/13 09:16 PM

really....Different Strokes....

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 04:41 AM

Quote:
I have been with my provider for 13+ years. Every year when the price went up I would call and get it back to the new customer rate, "or I'd switch" if asking nice doesn't work. I do have 2 cable options. If there's some reason you wouldn't want to switch don't worry, they don't want to lose you.

It's to the point where when it went up last time and I saw it on my bill, I called and they refunded me, and the rep actually told me to make sure I call every year and they will re-up my "preferred customer" rate or something like that.

They want your money. Any income with profit is better than no income. You can bargain with your providers as long as you have other options. If you have at least 2 viable high speed options in your area it's pretty much a lock on getting the new customer rate, or close to it. Just threaten them with switching.

Me too. I just called and threatened to quit them like Brokeback Mountain. (I wish I could quit yew!)
They set my price back to it's original for the next year.
==

I also call my credit card companies and get lower APRs just by asking nicely.
Seriously.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 05:40 AM

I wish we had competition here. Nope, Comcast is not offered here.

There is DSL (Uverse and others) but then I would have to get a telephone installed. I cut that cable, literally, awhile ago.
Posted by: DLC

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 06:25 AM

I was with Dish for about 7-8 years and they always referred to me as a "valuable customer" . But when Direct TV offered me a much lower rate Dish couldn't even come close. Some "valuable customer" !! :-P

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 06:33 AM

For me, it's either my current cable provider or satellite (neither of which gets good reviews). They have us by the gonads and they know it. mad

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 09:23 AM

FYI, as long as your cards are in good standing, you can request either an APR cut or a credit line increase twice a year — and most times, they will oblige.

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 09:25 AM

I wonder if they'd go for a complete forgiveness of my outstanding balance? grin
Posted by: Celandine

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
For me, it's either my current cable provider or satellite (neither of which gets good reviews). They have us by the gonads and they know it. mad

...doano about "gonads"...
...but I'll go along with "a tit in the wringer." smirk

otherwise, it's the same story...
...ComCrust or dish... I won't even go there. frown

I have the full boat (EVERTHING (but TheMovieChannel)
I have the phone, 2 Digital Boxes, 1 DVR, and
what they laugingly call "HIGH SPEED Cable"

I follow only 2 series; "The Newsroom" & "Shameless"

The rest mostly either movies A-Z classic & contemporary
or PBS, The History Channels, or The Discovery Channels

I'm paying a $220.00 per month, but being pretty
much housebound, it's my only source of entertainment.

...well...that and YOU GUYZE. smile

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 09:56 AM

Michael, John,

Well you don't have to give them TMI. They don't need to know that you have no intention of switching, have read bad reviews, don't have a land line, w/e. Like I said, "If there's some reason you wouldn't want to switch don't worry, they don't want to lose you."

It's up to you guys, it's your money, but if you don't ask your chance of getting a reduced rate is 0%. Worse case all they would say is no, right?

Re: TWC drops CBS, CBS doesn't allow TWC customers - 08/06/13 03:00 PM

Well, like I said, my contract with Dish expires 10/2014