Some good TV shows

Posted by: John Rougeux

Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 03:20 AM

Dexter: Last night was Episode #6 out of the last 12. Haven't watched it yet, so please no spoilers. I am curious as to how they are going to wrap this up. While I'll miss Dexter somewhat, it was time to go, IMO. The killing of LaGuerta actually follows book 1 of Dexter books.

Breaking Bad: Returns for the final 8 episodes this coming Sunday. Now THIS is a show I'll miss. One of the best ones out there. I hope they spin off Saul!

Ray Donovan: New show on Showtime. Has Liev Schreiber as Ray, Jon Voight as his dad and several other actors. So far this show is awesome. Jon Voight has such a good role..funny as hell!
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 08:20 AM

Meanwhile over on FX... Sons of Anarchy season 6 airs September 10th at 10pm eastern time. Season one thru four are currently available on DVD, season five will be available on DVD around the 27th of August. Season six previews on line appears to be
even more over the top than the first 5
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 08:42 AM

Dexter is awesome, but I agree that it's reaching a natural EOL -- last season (season 6?) for me started to jump the shark at several points. I'm hoping they'll get back on track for the last one. I'm following it on iTunes, so due to Showtime's horrid year-long lag I'm running a season behind =P

Saw the first episode of Ray Donovan a month or so ago during a visit with family and really enjoyed it -- I'm a Liev Schrieber and Jon Voight fan, so it was fun to see them work together. Unfortunately, I'm not a subscriber so I'll have to wait for it to come out on iTunes before viewing the rest of the season ...

I could never get into Breaking Bad -- I loves me some Bryan Cranston, but the show was *so* gritty at points that I found it often too repellent to watch on a regular basis ...

Also during the family visit mentioned above I got turned on to a Starz series called Magic City, about a Miami resort owner during the 1950's. The entire cast is wonderful, but Danny Huston plays a *really* great villain. A very evocative and well-done show ...

Just started watching Orphan Black (BBC America), about a woman who discovers she's a clone and has several other versions of herself running around. Kind of a crime/sci-fi thing with the lead actress, Tatiana Maslany, playing six different roles, often in the same scene -- awesome cast and very well done ...

And my current guilty pleasure is Siberia on NBC, a thriller about a Survivor-type reality show where mysterious and sometimes fatal events befall the contestants. Kind of Survivor meets Lost. Goofy, stupid fun ;-)
Posted by: garyW

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 09:23 AM

Series on my Netflix queue:

Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
Posted by: Nana

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Dexter: Last night was Episode #6 out of the last 12. Haven't watched it yet, so please no spoilers. I am curious as to how they are going to wrap this up. While I'll miss Dexter somewhat, it was time to go, IMO. The killing of LaGuerta actually follows book 1 of Dexter books.

Rumor going around that there will be a spinoff.....Debra, Dexter's sis.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Series on my Netflix queue:

Orange is the New Black
House of Cards

House of Cards was excellent!

Oh, I forgot about Sons of Anarchy.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 12:43 PM

I love Dexter. But, as is said here, it has run it's course. Several times they seemed to corner themselves in the plot then had find a way out. My perspective.

A friend of mine and I have been speculating as to how this last season will end. I wouldn be surprised if it came out that Debra is Vogels daughter and one of her previous experiments.

Was wondering if Hannah will rear her beautiful head again.

As for Ray Donavon, I have tried to like this show but I can't find anyone I really like. Ray is not much more than a brute, IMO. I also get frustrated that he just doesn't remove the thing that's giving him so much grief . His father. I did like his fathers Pedophile joke, tho

Dave
Posted by: garyW

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 12:51 PM

My 19 yr old daughter (living in NYC) encouraged my wife and I to watch HBO's "Girls". It had won tons of Emmys and so we gave it a shot expected to be underwhelmed with the plight of 20-something New Yorkers, it's kind of like "Louie" in the way it makes you uncomfortable but can't stop watching and laughing . to our surprise Season 1 was really funny and very well written & acted. Season 2 was good and worth binge watching. (I hope that this emo- drama is not an indication of what our girl is going through laugh )
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Some good TV shows - 08/05/13 02:44 PM

I don't know if you knew this.. but the star of Girls is the creator,writer, director and producer. She is the child of of 2 artists... and it looks like it rubbed off.

Oh.. and Marnie.. the hottie.. she's the daughter of Brain Williams, the newscaster.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/29/allison-williams-girls_n_1463368.html