iSight

Posted by: bganey

iSight - 06/30/03 11:16 AM

I'm thinking I am going to roll to the natti and plunk down my $150 for an isight...anybody have any thoughts on the product? buy/use one yet?<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:18 AM

If you have a FW DV camcorder, don't bother. If you already have a FW webcam, don't bother.<br><br>If you don't have either of those, by all means bother!<br><br>Kinda rough for a webcam, price-wise though. Would have liked to see that around $99...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: bganey

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:19 AM

Right now, I have nothing...<br><br>$149 is a bit pricey....the other 2 firewire webcams out there, the iBot and the Unibrain are $99....so Apple is a full 50% more. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:20 AM

I don't know. I was ready to spring for an iPod and now I want both... One question I did have though... Is the iSight on all the time? Powered up, I mean? My canon elura keeps going into the power-save mode after five minutes which is annoying when your in the middle of a conversation!<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:22 AM

I have one and so far it's pretty slick ... although not many people on my buddy list has a camera, so I haven't really had any practical use with it outside the LAN at work ...<br><br>I posted this thread over at MC with a couple grabs showing light performance ...<br><br>Have fun!<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>"Nothing says 'obey me!' like a bloody head on a fencepost ..."

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:25 AM

You can turn the iSight on and off ... it has no power-save mode like the elura that I can see ...<br><br>Also, there should be a setting somewhere on your elura to disable that power-save mode ... at least, I've heard other owners of that camera say that ...<br><br>=)<br><br>***matt<br><br>"Nothing says 'obey me!' like a bloody head on a fencepost ..."
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:27 AM

I would imagine the iSight would stay on since it doesn't have a battery, unlike a digital camcorder... so there's no need to conserve power.<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:36 AM

I thinking of picking one up tonite myself.<br><br>The powerMac doesn't have a built in mic like our laptops and the iMac, so that feature will make it real handy for us to video chat from work to home.<br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:41 AM

I checked the menu system and found nothing to disable the power-save mode. You would think that while it's connected to a power outlet it would stay on.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by G4Dualie on 06/30/03 02:42 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:43 AM

Try taking the tape out of the camera. On my canon it will shut off if the tape is in, stay on forever with the tape out.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:47 AM

unplug the camera when not in use. it's firewire and requires no drivers<br><br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 11:59 AM

You're right. I took the tape out and it's still on after 10 minutes. Cooolll....<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:07 PM

What happens if you leave it plugged-in but turned off?<br><br>Is that bad?<br><br>***matt<br><br>"Nothing says 'obey me!' like a bloody head on a fencepost ..."
Posted by: nutty

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:08 PM

it may get warm, but nothing bad.<br><br>

Thanks! - 06/30/03 12:12 PM

I'll leave it plugged-in then =)<br><br>***matt<br><br>"Nothing says 'obey me!' like a bloody head on a fencepost ..."
Posted by: MrsJonnyCat

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:37 PM

cool! we're getting an iSight tonight?? YAY!! uhm, err, what if a G5 slips into the purchase? How will you explain it? It's best to sneak it in under my nose, in case you had any doubts regarding strategy. AND you know I am only kidding! <br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:41 PM

the G5?, errr.. we needed it, to test for compatibility with ImageWell <br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:43 PM

pretty heavy investment for a free product, wouldn't you say Mr.JonnyCat?! <br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:49 PM

Start charging, damn it!!! <br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 12:51 PM

nothing but the best for ImageWell. Quality always costs a little more <br><br>oh, and by the way the G5 is taller than the G4, so it looks like it will have to go under my desk, cause it won't fit under yours. <br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 01:28 PM

we will be, plans are in the making! <br><br>MrsJC<br><br>If the 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?
Posted by: JohnR

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 03:01 PM

My 3 brothers are all getting iSights! They ordered theirs last night....sort of a "keeping up with the Joneses" now <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 03:02 PM

So are you getting one too, John? Think of the family conferences!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 03:05 PM

Well, I have the iBot. No need for me to get one right now....saving up for a G5. All funds are being directed that way starting today.<br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 03:07 PM

Yeah, the G5!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 03:10 PM

Now to figure out how I'm going to get some extra cash....<br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:08 PM

I know the problem. Hey, if you go back to Hawai'i, maybe you and carp could moonlight as private detectives. You already have the promo pic <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:13 PM

Yeah..that's the ticket <br><br>Uhmmm...you have some cash I can have for the ticket?? <br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:17 PM

Sorry--spent it all on cat and dog food <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:32 PM

just got the iSight, and the iTrip. can't resist shopping at the Apple store.<br><br>More about how good these products are later<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:35 PM

Awesome! Have fun with your new toys! <br><br>

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:36 PM

Cool! I figured you and Mrs. JC were out at the Apple Store cause you hadn't posted in a while <br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 04:41 PM

btw the box for the iSight is the same size as the iPod.<br><br>packaging once again is remarkable and nicely done. It's like christmas again!<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iSight - 06/30/03 09:00 PM

I would really love to get one, unfortunately I honestly don't have a real use for it.<br><br>