Time for a new Fung Shui.

Posted by: steveg

Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 06:34 AM

For more than five years, I've had the same celery green, cluttered, memorabilia and dust collector-crammed home office dominated by a silly ego wall. A dog's breakfast of decor, you could call it. So I took advantage of a few days of down time and a paint sale at Lowes, and went to work...

I'm gonna hang a 36" square sheet of patina'd steel diamond plate on the wall at the end of my work table as a magnetic bulletin board, and maybe a much smaller sheet next to my desk, and then it's finito.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 06:55 AM

Looks really nice.

What fountain pen are you using the most? Do you keep several in rotation?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 07:35 AM

Love the typewriter and parking meter

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:10 AM

That is the parking meter that Paul Revere kept his horse tied to before he made his famous ride.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:14 AM

Gorgeous!

But may I suggest a few additions:

I like the flow of energy in the first photo
the desk placement that allows free Chi,
but in the room where your face is turned
toward the wall, add a mirror (in keeping with
the decor) to bounce positive energy back
toward you, and improve the flow.

...and a few wind chimes if you don't find
it too distracting would increase the Chi.

lol ...looked again...
I like the parking meter as well grin
Posted by: garyW

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:18 AM

Cool Steve, I like seeing the original MacCentral poster. I remember driving into LA to meet at the Northridge Apple Store to sign it …. and for the only time actually meeting other forum members. You put a lot of effort to make that project happen.

grin

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:18 AM

I use them all in rotation, but my favs are these Monte Verde pens. Solid, $90 workhorse pens that just keep on keepin' on.

But when I want to "show off" a little, this is my go-to bad boy.

It's handmade by an artisan that works in a variety of materials. The barrel is made of compressed sawdust and metal shavings. Gold broad-tip nib and hand-tooled captop & clip. It has incredible heft and balance. Whenever I bring it to a meeting, I take along an extra ink cart, because the minute I pull it out, everyone in the room wants to play with it before the meeting can continue, and by the time I get it back, it's damn near empty! laugh

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:24 AM

The parking meter is left over from a Kryptonite lock shoot I did back in the 80s. It's the real deal, and it works! The "word processor" is a Smith-Corona SuperSpeed, circa 1942. When I first grabbed it for $5 at a flea market more than 20 years ago, it was fully functional. But over time, and with getting schlepped around so many times, some keys have gone comatose, and it needs a ribbon.

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 08:26 AM

Too bad we couldn't get the whole team together in NYC for MacWorld and the auction. cry But we did have a good showing and it was awesome to spend a few days with so many members ion meatspace.

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 09:07 AM

I keep a TWSBI at my desk filled with Noodler's Heart of darkness since it is waterproof ink. I have a Parker Sonnett and a Lamy 2000 near at hand. I carry a TWSBI mini and various other pens at work. I like the Lamy Safaris and All Star for work pens too. I fill them with Noodler's Bernake Blue because it is very fast drying and works well on the cheap paper at work. I have several old Parkers and Sheaffers that I use on occasion. I really like the old Sheaffer Imperials.

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 09:27 AM

Hadn't heard of TWSBI before. Just went to their site. Nice stuff. Lamy makes a workmanlike product, too. Do you visit Farney's often?

A Creative Director and mentor I worked under in Boston and NYC for years turned me on to fountain pens. But he was an extreme user. His collection included Mont Blanc, Caran D'Ache, and Conklin pens, some of which were in the 5-figure price range! shocked That handmade pen cost a wee bit over $300 — and that's my limit.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 09:38 AM

I prefer the Papermate 20 pack. grin

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 10:09 AM

I visit there from time to time. I like Goulet Pens for their ink selection and they have a lot of good "how to" videos on YouTube. Peyton Street Pens has a lot of older pens. Both NOS and rebuilt pens. I Sell Pens has good prices and some different stuff in stock. The ink selection at Goulet's is really good and you can buy samples for a good price. Their customer service is outstanding.

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 10:31 AM

No Bic® for you! mad laugh
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Time for a new Fung Shui. - 07/20/13 07:25 PM

Had a "Big Red" once up on a time