Movie gun snafus

Posted by: MrB

Movie gun snafus - 07/19/13 12:03 PM

I watch movies with my iPad in hand to check out authenticity of history or logic.
Searched to find the riles use the Tom Berringer film, "Sniper "

From that found this link that espouses common ways movies illogical gun uses.

After the authors take, there are hundreds , maybe, of comments of other common mistakes.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=13481

My all time old fav is the 50's Superman where in the bad guy shoots bullets at supermans chest, wher he just stands there with handson hips. then when the gun is empty, the bad guy throws the gun at superman. What does superman do? He ducks.

(Also, this is about goofs in movies relating to gun use. Not about gun control. Take that discussion to the Soapbox)

Dave
Posted by: AusMac

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/19/13 12:32 PM

spoof/goofs are easily visible to those familiar with what they are bulldusting-on-about.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 08:51 AM

Oh a couple of times they threw rubber guns at Kal El and they'd bounce off his chest.
OR they'd have a rifle and he'd bend the plastic barrel !! wink

Found out the other day 2 of my favorite childhood TV heros (George Reeves - The Adventures of Superman and Jon Hall- Ramar of the Jungle ) both committed suicide. I knew George did but was unaware Jon did... read Jon's bio and he was diagnosed with incurable bladder cancer so he took the quick way out. Sad ... very sad ! frown

Good Jon Hall movie is Kit Carson --- totally inaccurate but entertaining. Had Ward Bond and another interesting actor in it.... see if you can recognize who played Paul Terry !! I recognized his voice the minute he spoke !
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 10:16 AM

Remember Dave, most are just movies made for entertainment, they are not meant to be documentaries.

Sit back, relax, get caught up in the moment, and have some fun watching the theatre someone has produced for your entertainment. smile

Sometimes reality can be boring so it's necessary to glam it up a bit.

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 04:26 PM

Of course it is but that's part of the fun. For me at least.

Also, there are many movies that are base on someone's life but add things and distort issues just to make good film. People watch these then think that's what happened.

They forget its just a movie. Not much more than a fantasy. Those who make so called documentaries or biographies are the worst of it.

It's one thing to have Kit Carson use the wrong kind of gun but another to show George Washington with no slaves. Just examples. Not that they have done that.

John Ford fell in love with the Monument Valley area. He then used it for several of his movies. That was just fun. Having a rancher in Texas walk out on his porch to look over the towering monoliths of Utah. Or the same rancher grazing his cattle on the sand . This from the Searchers.

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 04:28 PM

A very good very recent example of this is Argo. Poetic license is not a license to kill.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 04:34 PM

I liked Argo so I looked up a lot of details and watched a documentary. Interesting but most/all of the tense situations from the movie were fabricated.

Re: Movie snafus- World War Z - 07/20/13 04:52 PM

Isn't a gun SANFU, but I saw WWZ this afternoon and liked it. Pitt was very good and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

However one part was a little unreal...in one scene (I won't give it away) they had this room with all these vials of human pathogens...

#1 most were in liquid serum bottles (5-10ml) . Sorry folks but you want to keep them long term and viable they have to be frozen !.. and stored in liquid N2 or at least a -80C freezer ! Course that would have complicated the plot. Go see it and you'll see why.

#2 you wouldn't store them all in 1 room ! They had typhus agent, H1N1, and meningitis agents all in the same cabinet. frown Sorry, CLIA (or their UK counterpart) would shut your azz down in a nanosecond for something like that !! (typhus and meningitis are bacterial, H1N1 is viral - not even the same classes of pathogens, and typhus is a very atypical bacteria = special group)

#3 it unlikely a field office even for the WHO would have this variety of pathogens... usually those offices are very specialized..

BUT the movie was great despite these inconsistencies ! grin Go see it ! wink

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/20/13 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Okay, I think I get you now. smile

Also wish I was retired and had the time. laugh
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Movie snafus- World War Z - 07/21/13 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
[font:Courier New]Isn't a gun SANFU, but I saw WWZ this afternoon and liked it. Pitt was very good and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

However one part was a little unreal...in one scene (I won't give it away) they had this room with all these vials of human pathogens...

#1 most were in liquid serum bottles (5-10ml) . Sorry folks but you want to keep them long term and viable they have to be frozen !.. and stored in liquid N2 or at least a -80C freezer ! Course that would have complicated the plot. Go see it and you'll see why.

#2 you wouldn't store them all in 1 room ! They had typhus agent, H1N1, and meningitis agents all in the same cabinet. frown Sorry, CLIA (or their UK counterpart) would shut your azz down in a nanosecond for something like that !! (typhus and meningitis are bacterial, H1N1 is viral - not even the same classes of pathogens, and typhus is a very atypical bacteria = special group)

#3 it unlikely a field office even for the WHO would have this variety of pathogens... usually those offices are very specialized..

BUT the movie was great despite these inconsistencies ! grin Go see it ! ;0

Hurumph!! Well that does it for me! No way am I going to waste money on a movie with all those inaccuracies!!!! Even though Brad Pitt is my main movie squeeze! wink

of course, I am pullling yer leg

Re: Movie snafus- World War Z - 07/21/13 12:01 PM

I said Go see it !! cry

laugh

Re: Movie gun snafus - 07/21/13 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: MrB
Okay, I think I get you now. smile

Also wish I was retired and had the time. laugh

If I'm by myself watching a movie, it might take me three hours to finish it. Something will Coe up in the film, andi check it out then from there I check something else out and so on. Especially ifits a period film or dealing with a certain group.

One film, called the Eagle dealt with a legion of roman soldiers in England. The peasants were eating some grain, I believe it was millet, so I had to check it out, being a farm lad. This led me to the history of several other grains.

In the end, the researching was a lot more intriguing then the film.

One western had a prostitute in it. The scene had her dressed in her skimpy outfit but a bra strap slipped off her shoulder. That got me researching women's under garments, and mens also Very interesting.

Dave

Re: Movie snafus- World War Z - 07/21/13 07:14 PM

There is this very nice film about Weece Witherspoon who is an doctor who has an accident and is put in a coma. mark Rufeo also stars.

In one scene there is an unruly patient. As a doctor she pulls out this syringe and shoots him up causing him to collapse. Then she takes the unsecured syringe with needle and stuffs it in her side pocket . My RN daughter caught that one.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Movie snafus- World War Z - 07/21/13 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
I said Go see it !! cry

laugh

You are NOT the boss of me. wink

I can eat my desert before dinner, if I wanted to. smile

So okay. I'll rent it!