Appt. with death

Posted by: yoyo52

Appt. with death - 07/16/13 05:58 PM

We've made an appointment with our vet to have our dog euthanized tomorrow. It's been very hard the last few days knowing that we were going to put him to death this week. But we have to do it. His kidneys are failing. He can't eat. He can barely walk. It's time. Last year, almost to the day, our other, bigger dog died. We will have one cat and one newt. That's it.

I hate time.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 06:23 PM

Sorry to hear that. Losing a dog is tough.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 07:03 PM

Yeah, we're old and have changed, time sucks, and we deal with it when it involves our own physical changes. Although with these creatures that stay so briefly in our lives, whose fate is in our hands, and touch us to the core with such unconditional love, it's never easy. We outlive so many pets by so many years, it doesn't seem fair, but that's selfish, huh?

The initial stages of renal failure can be dealt with, the body lives off of its reserves, but the final stages are really uncomfortable, you're doing the right thing.

I've gone from 23 down to 10 cats over the last 10 years or so. It never gets any easier. I cry like a baby. Embrace the tears, it helps. smile
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 07:13 PM

"unconditional love" is what these "animals" are all about.
I would rather be put down as an animal, maintaining my dignity, than as a human, suffering until the bitter end.
If you love him, set him free and end the misery. For you and for him.
<3
Posted by: DLC

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 08:06 PM

Sorry to hear that. We had to do the same with my Mom's last cat Smokey (which we had 12 years) back in 2011. She had a large tumor and was almost 20 years old - not worth fighting with drugs esp since her kidneys were barely functioning. The hardest part was waiting after you knew it was time. The vet came to our house so Smokey could pass in familiar surroundings. Waiting for her to arrive seemed like hours, but it was only 20 min.
After our current cat William (going on 16) passes... we've decided no more. Get too attached, and I'm NOT getting any better at this.

Hang in there Yoyo. I know it's tough, but you're doing the best for them.
My sincere condolences.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear this, Al. I took my dog in many years ago and held him until he passed. Missed him for a long time. I feel for you and your wife and glad you have each other.

My sympathy to you both.

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 10:36 PM

That's never easy. Sorry Al.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 10:50 PM

Posts like these always leave me emotionally spent. In the very moment I read your words I have a flood of memories of every dog that gave me and my family so much love, the pain of saying goodbye cuddled with them on the vet's floor. It's always so unfair how short their lives are but it's wonderful that they never really leave you. Hey yoyo, sending out good thoughts to you.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Appt. with death - 07/16/13 11:20 PM

Our hearts go out to you, my friend. frown
Posted by: steveg

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 02:58 AM

So sorry to hear that. I've had to make that decision 4 times in the last dozen years. It's never easy for us, but almost always the kindest measure for the beloved pet. frown
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 03:34 AM

Always think about the good times you had with your dog throughout the years.Sorry to hear this.I am sure you have photos of him and that will reflect back also good times with him also.I went through this also.I can feel your pain.M

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:09 AM

He's gone.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:12 AM

frown

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:16 AM

frown Hang tough, my friend.

How old was he? was that "old" for that breed of dog ?
Did you tell us his name?

Very sorry, buddy !

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:20 AM

I remember arguing with an idiot on my first forum
...the notion that, "since we were only electrical
impulses" that the notion of "hurting someone's
feelings" by rude remarks was absurd.

If that were true, why are there real tears running
down my face for a dog I've never seen, mourned by
"a friend" I'll never meet be possible?
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:29 AM

Sad.

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:35 AM

Thanks all. His name was Max. He lived with us for about 12 years, but he was at least 15 or 16. He came to us when he followed my wife home as she was walking our other dog. He had a very definite personality. A little prickly, but sweet. We'll miss him a lot, as we still miss our other dog, and all the cats we've lost over the years.

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:39 AM

Well look at it this way - he was damm lucky to follow your wife home and he had 12 great years with a wonderful couple. Lucky Dog !! wink (trying to be +)
Posted by: AusMac

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Well look at it this way - he was damm lucky to follow your wife home and he had 12 great years with a wonderful couple. Lucky Dog !! wink (trying to be +)

+1

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 09:47 AM

+1
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 10:13 AM

Cute fella. So Max decided to adopt you guys, he sensed a good thing when he saw it, animals know. He had 12 great years with you two as Mommy and Daddy I'm sure. Did you rescue him or did he rescue you? smile

Hang in there Al.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 02:51 PM

Ah, man. So sorry.

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Appt. with death - 07/17/13 03:53 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your doggy, Yoyo.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Appt. with death - 07/18/13 03:48 AM

Cute face and looked very kind also.