Homebrewing

Posted by: John Rougeux

Homebrewing - 07/12/13 05:46 AM

Still brewing my own beer over here and have moved up to kegging my beer. So much better/easier than bottling!

I converted a freezer to this. Looks like I need to brew again! I have yet to use all 4. I may plug 2 of the holes and stick with 2 kegs, but I like variety. So does my neighbors!

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 06:37 PM

Great set-up. What do you call the brew made using the bags of dog food? wink

Posted by: AusMac

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Great set-up. What do you call the brew made using the bags of dog food? wink

unmentionable ale.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 09:12 PM

Seeing how dog food is made with lots of grain....it might just make good moonshine
Posted by: AusMac

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 09:20 PM

Rather than saying this wine tastes of raisins and mint and a hint of chocolate.. you could say, reminiscent of smoky nights by the barbecue.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 09:31 PM

Wow. John that is sooo cool.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 09:34 PM

Agreed.
Thinking of throwing out all of the frozen food and making a "keg home".
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Homebrewing - 07/12/13 09:54 PM

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Homebrewing - 07/15/13 11:17 AM

I see you modified the freezer. I take you just don't set the thermostat to freeze?

It looks like you added the wood on top and remounted the lid? Did you seal the gap between the wood and the bottom. What are the electronic devices hanging on the left side?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Homebrewing - 07/15/13 11:46 AM

Good questions! smile

Yes, modified the freezer by adding the wood collar. This way, it doesn't damage the freezer and if I wanted to revert/sell it, I could easily.

The lid is mounted on the wood collar in the back. Yes, I caulked it. the electronic devices are:
blue is thermostat regulator. I set that so that the freezer doesn't get down to freezing. Beer will freeze! So I set it to 35 degrees. Plenty cold enough.

black is a thermometer. I use it to verify that the blue (Johnson Controls device) is accurate and that in fact it's not freezing.

You should come down some time. I just brewed a clone of Fat Tire. Good stuff! Should be ready in 2 weeks.