Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing

Posted by: Acumowchek

Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 11:53 AM

I know I'm an Apple Fanboy, but this is BOGUS.
IMHO.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 01:21 PM

As expected, Apple will appeal.

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 02:26 PM

To be honest, the more I read, the more I'm confused.
I guess I'm looking at this too simply.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 02:50 PM

Yeah, I'm still forming an opinion. Apple wanted to keep the prices high and conspired to do so it seems.

I saw an interesting comment on some site;

What I find humorous is that "publishers" even think they matter in the e-book market. When "publishing" consists of making media available to download, Amazon itself is the publisher. And the marketer. And the retail store.

Just another sign of antiquated middle-men trying to maintain some relevance.

And in this case I have little sympathy for them. They took such a large percentage of the profit, leaving so little for the artists, that I'm fine seeing them begging on the street now for a handout. Serves them right for creating an industry based around extorting peoples' talent.

Then they were compared to the record companies that sucked the money out of the artists and how that market has changed too.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 08:45 PM

Don't get me started on publishers and prices, especially of textbooks. The mewling dastards know they have their audience by the Greek orchis, and squeeze as hard as they can. If ebooks w,ere easier to use in a classroom, that's all I'd ever have kids get.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 08:49 PM

I agree Yoyo, the education book market stinks !!
Pushing new editions every 2-3 years and jacking up the costs with < a 5% difference in content ! Maybe some new photos or drawings, but how hard is that . . and it doesn't really change the "message" (concepts presented) !! mad

It's ridiculous that some of these texts cost between $200-300 EACH !! What a crock !!

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 08:59 PM

In my field, there often is absolutely no difference at all between one edition and the next other than the pagination. Drives me crazy cause all my marginal comments become useless. And college bookstores!!!! We outsourced ours to a Barnes and Noble franchise and the price has gone through the roof while service has sunk below the 9th circle of hell. The markup for some of the books I use was up to 40% and more. And for course packs--last time I had one made the price was 100 bucks. Since then I've found on-line alternatives, so suck it, bookstore.

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 09:02 PM

Where does all that money go to? (I'm not sure I want to know…)

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 09:21 PM

Publishers need the bucks so they can light their cigars.

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/10/13 09:32 PM

"But I was going to buy a gold plated ivory back scratcher…" /Mr. Burns

OMG… I was going to look up The Simpsons quote, and sure enough, they sell gold plated back scratchers.
That's enough internets for me tonight.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Apple Guilty on e-book price fixing - 07/11/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Where does all that money go to? (I'm not sure I want to know…)

IT certainly does NOT go to the authors who do MOST of the critical work and put in their own expertise - that's for DAMM SURE !! mad

I urge ALL my students to buy: (1) USED, (2) paperback or electronic (cheaper), (3) from other students, and (4) on Line. I also recommend they NOT sell their used text to the bookstore but find another student and strike an agreeable price (usually between 50-65% of "New" list price) ! Bookstore traditionally pay 25-33% for used book and resell at 65-75% of the New price. Avoid the campus bookstore like it has the plague ! wink