Netflix Streaming

Posted by: DLC

Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 07:25 AM

I got this about a month ago and have watched about 10-12 movies/programs. I recommend it, but am disappointed Netflix has many movies available on DVD only. I think it's to get people to buy BOTH - streaming and DVD plans.

Lots of good documentaries and science programs like "Walking with Dinosaurs". "Natures Deadliest" etc.

In the spirit of SteveGs movie reviews...here's some excellent movies I found I didn't see in the theaters...

Saints and Soldiers (2004) - Based on actual events, it's about 4 GIs who escape the Malmedy massacre (remember that from the movie Battle of the Bulge) and are trapped 20 mi behind enemy lines. They're trying to get back to American lines when they find a downed British pilot who has vital reconnaissance info and needs to get it to Command center ASAP. Great story and good character development. No big stars in it, only one I recognized was Peter Holden and I had to look him up to get his name. The suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way through...

The Red Baron (2008) - (mainly German cast) focuses on Manfred's rise and claim to fame of 80 "kills". Also a romance story also interweaved with a French nurse. Story is nice because it's not all "Dogfights". Didn't realize he was so young when he was shot down. BTW - latest info is that it wasn't Brown that shot him down, but he was shot though the heart by ground fire (based on the angle of the entry and exit of a single bullet wound).

Beneath Hill 60 (2010) -Also based on actual events. A group of Australian miners tunnel under German lines in WWI to snoop (eavesdrop) on German communications. Very interesting story with flashbacks to life in Australia. Good character development.

ENJOY !!! grin
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 07:54 AM

I'd like to see the one on the Red Baron. I saw a short piece on History channel about him and it also brought up the possibility that he was not killed by Brown
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 08:34 AM

Love Netflix streaming.
People complain that there is nothing to watch, I say, they aren't looking hard enough.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 10:50 AM

I think the Netflix site for "watch instantly' tablet version is HORRIBLE and impossible to find stuff. The desktop version is not much better. That said, Netflix streaming thru AppleTV is awesome.

Just finishing up watching Breaking Bad seasons 1-4 for the second time grin I'll watch season 5 (pt1) thru iTunes. Getting ready for the final season in August.

Going to start watching all 7 seasons of The West Wing next. I love summertime binge viewing.

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Love Netflix streaming.
People complain that there is nothing to watch, I say, they aren't looking hard enough.

S'truth!
I just re-installed (and promptly Re-Re-UNinstalled)
Netflix Streaming off my iPhone 3Gs, because it
keeps giving me the "SORRY..." message.

I just assumed the old phone wasn't up-to-snuff.
Maybe I'll go back and Re-re-reInstall it again.

I'd be interested in seeing the 3rd recommendation:
Quote:
Beneath Hill 60 (2010) -Also based on actual events. A group of Australian miners tunnel under German lines in WWI to snoop (eavesdrop) on German communications. Very interesting story with flashbacks to life in Australia. Good character development.

Aussie "Diggers" were tough as a 2 bob roo steak.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 01:05 PM

We use AppleTV to get the Netflix streaming--it's great!

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/09/13 01:07 PM

Yeah the climax of that Movie is they tried the old Union trick at Petersburg, VA... blow a hole in the enemy's lines... pretty spectacular.

I thoroughly enjoyed all 3- can't go wrong with any of the 3. I thought the love story between Richthofen and the French nurse very interesting. She hated him in the beginning ! Took a long time for her to come around, and even then with reservations.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/10/13 07:12 AM

Did they need reservations back then too...getting so bad here you almost have to have reservations to eat at Dairy Queen
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/12/13 05:43 AM

We had the free trial of Netflix and love the documentaries. As for the movies, well, we had seen a lot of them and the rest just seemed not as interesting. I didn't see those 3 you recommended.

Re: Netflix Streaming - 07/12/13 10:01 AM

I AM a little disappointed their movie selection isn't bigger and include almost all recent (last 15 years) films, esp those that were hits !

I wanted to rewatch Gettysburg over the 4th of July period because it was the 150th anniversary of the battle... Sorry Charlie - DVD only !
Dispicable Me (original) - Sorry Charlie - DVD only !
I've come across tons of these ! mad

Also, you go through their movie lists by genre and the SAME movie might be on 3-4 lists !
Will use awhile and then switch to DVD for awhile and then back to streaming 4-6 months later...
mix it up !!