Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 09:37 AM

I just got back from living off the grid for a week.

I toured along the shores of Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and the UP, camping in the boonies along the way. I rode back roads all the way up and back. Surprisingly, there was not much traffic at all. During some of the rides near the lakes, I did not see another vehicle for quite a bit of time which was quite nice.

Fully loaded along RT 119 in Michigan (Tunnel of Trees):

Breakfast via Mountain House:

Lunch along the way...beef jerky and a banana worked well!

One of my campsites (I carry a tarp too):

Of course, had to get one of the bridge!

Fun road to a campsite on a fully loaded motorcycle!

There was no cell phone reception for most of the time. I did have several offline apps for maps that were very helpful and did copy a road atlas. I really missed the weather apps but did not miss email at all. I had to watch my iPhone battery life having no power. I could charge it with my motorcycle battery but wanted to limit it to once a day. I tried a solar battery and a solar battery charger and three cell batteries. The solar battery worked well but the other one did not do so well and is more for 12v systems.

Posted by: drjohn

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 10:12 AM

If I were 40 years younger... smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 10:41 AM

What a terrific trip. Were you alone? Not trying to be nosy, but just thinking about safety and such.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 01:30 PM

I LOVE Dragging the Tarp along on camping trips
it's the best way I know to keep it from raining smirk

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
What a terrific trip. Were you alone? Not trying to be nosy, but just thinking about safety and such.
Who's safety? His, or the fool's that dared to confront him. grin

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 01:53 PM

I was thinking Sasquatch. But BF probably is bigger than bigfoot too. smile

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 04:27 PM

I was alone...not too many people I know are willing to ride such long distances (sometimes more than 500 miles a day) and camp on top of that!

You do have a point though, it was a little creepy at times hiking on the old logging trails, in the middle of nowhere, by myself. I do carry bear pepper spray and a hunting knife with me though.

I spent a day hiking on these roads...they were great and never saw or heard one person:

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: drjohn
If I were 40 years younger... smile

I am over 50 myself and I barely fit in my little tent...I do not move like I used too!

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine

I LOVE Dragging the Tarp along on camping trips
it's the best way I know to keep it from raining smirk

It did rain on me...I really hit some heavy storms my first day out and then had to break camp early due in coming rain the following morning..

It did rain one evening and night and it was nice being able to cook and eat dinner out of the rain. It is much better than staying in the tent during the rain. The tarp is nice to keep the motorcycle dry too.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 04:37 PM

Very nice pics, Biggerfoot. Thanks!

Glad you had a good time.

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

You do have a point though, it was a little creepy at times hiking on the old logging trails, in the middle of nowhere, by myself. I do carry bear pepper spray and a hunting knife with me though.

Actual warning sign at a trail head:

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the Illinois Dept. of Fish & Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear scat has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 07:35 PM

Being so alone . . . I don't know that I could do it!
Posted by: Nana

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/07/13 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

Hoffa is buried under the 3rd tree on the left. Or is it the one on the right side of the road? confused :

I would have loved a long trip like that on a motorcycle. Especially one that pretty like yours. Camping is not my thing though. I'm strictly a hotel with a pool & room service type of gal.

Great pictures Big. I am still amazed by all that stuff on your bike. Now where did you pack the chair I saw in one your pictures? Didn't see it on your bike.

BEAUTIFUL bike btw.

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/08/13 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Being so alone . . . I don't know that I could do it!

Actually, with a job (boss) that seems to pull me five different directions at one time non-stop, it is nice getting away! I do not think I have had more than two or three personal lunch hours at work in three years! Normally, I am lucky to get halfway through a sandwich before more interruptions. It was nice even getting to eat a full meal!

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/08/13 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
[quote=Biggerfoot]

I would have loved a long trip like that on a motorcycle. Especially one that pretty like yours. Camping is not my thing though. I'm strictly a hotel with a pool & room service type of gal.

Great pictures Big. I am still amazed by all that stuff on your bike. Now where did you pack the chair I saw in one your pictures? Didn't see it on your bike.

BEAUTIFUL bike btw. [/color]

Thanks.

If I had a S/O that wanted go, hotels would be fine.

I just use backpacking gear as my luggage is about the same size as a backpack. The chair is pretty neat...it folds really small and I am able to always keep it in my saddlebags. I am over 6'4" and the chair is quite comfortable.The table is aluminum and makes it nice for eating and cooking if there is no table.

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/08/13 02:53 PM

looks like you brought everything
but the KITCHEN SINK.
Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/08/13 06:30 PM

Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip. I give you credit for doing it alone though, I couldn't. My brother lives in Northern Wisconsin and travels by bike a lot of the time. The stories he tells.
Do you happen to have any more photos to share? *G*

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/08/13 06:45 PM

This was a pretty neat app that I used when I did have reception:

The joys of no roof in the early mornings...sun!

A shack in the middle of the woods...was tempted to look but did not:

I have been the Grand Haven Coast Guard station before but this was a first on Lake Huron for me...neat seeing all of the large ships:

Stop!

Home for a week:

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/10/13 03:06 PM

Stop!

Probably a Bear crossing. Heh, heh. . .

That bed is wanting. Wanting a double mattress!

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Living Without the Internet or Cell Reception - 07/12/13 05:39 AM

Very cool! You are lucky to be able to do that on your own, not many people get that chance. I could imagine how nice it is riding your motorcycle up there...weather looks nice!

Next time head on south and stop by!

I had a friend ride from Boston to Alaska on motorcycles with his dad and uncle. Looked very cool.

I wish I was brave enough to ride one!