Makes you think

Posted by: yoyo52

Makes you think - 07/06/13 08:26 PM

My wife had chest pains on the 4th, and I took her to the emergency room. They kept her overnight for observation, and it turned out not to be the heart, thank goodness. The MD thinks it might be pleurisy, which is no piece of cake but certainly a lot less awful than angina or a heart attack. Nonetheless--it sure concentrates your attention. I started thinking what I'd do without her. Haven't come up with an answer.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Makes you think - 07/06/13 08:35 PM

May 21st I placed my wife of 48 years in an Alzheimer's treatment facility. I haven't come up with an answer either.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Makes you think - 07/06/13 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear it, drjohn. Truly sorry.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 02:27 AM

So sorry, John. A couple of my sister in laws are fighting this also. My brothers are beside themselves.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 03:39 AM

Tough card to draw, John. I just learned that my mother, who is 93, now has Alzheimer's. She'd been experience severe short term memory loss (I saw that when my folks came for a visit last Fall) for quite a while, but she's very recently been diagnosed with the whole boat. So now my dad and I have to look for those answers, too.

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 03:40 AM

Confronting reality sucks, doesn't it? I hope it all turns out to be a false alarm.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 04:51 AM

I'm glad that it wasn't a heart problem, Yoyo. Hopefully it will just go away.

I've been forced at some point to think about what I'd do without Mrs. Stumpy, but I don't like the answer. She's been fun to live with and a good friend in most aspects. My life certainly would be less full without her.

Sorry to hear about that, Doc. My Dad and I had to enter my Mom into a nursing home back in '02, and it was very hard. She suffered from dementia of some sort.

Funny how the love didn't go away, even though there was no longer any real conversation going on.

God bless your family, Steve.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Tough card to draw, John. I just learned that my mother, who is 93, now has Alzheimer's. She'd been experience severe short term memory loss (I saw that when my folks came for a visit last Fall) for quite a while, but she's very recently been diagnosed with the whole boat. So now my dad and I have to look for those answers, too.

On another note... you're damn lucky to have them live that long!
Wow!.... 93.

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 06:25 AM

Yep. My Dad is 89, and fortunately, still mentally and physically sound as an oak beam. What's amazing is that my Mother still remembers the most minute details from more than 60 years ago. But totally forgets things five minutes in the past.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 07:31 AM

Pleurisy's a b1tch! Feels like being shot in the
chest every time you try to draw a deep breath.
whenever I'd have a bout, my dad would use an
old country method of wrapping his belt around my
chest and cinching it just loose enough for you
to breath, but just tight enough to prevent you
from involuntarily fully expanding your lungs
(for example, sighing or hic-coughing) until the
initial inflammation subsided.

As a child, I was subject to asthma, pleurisy, and
chronic bronchitis (which I still have)

Duh most of which "miraculously cleared-up" once
I left home (moved away from the chemical factory
across the street that was later designated as
a 'Super-Fund Site'.) crazy

As for losing the significant other (*again) I'm
about to face that prospect once again next week.

Ted's already had 2 heart attacks, and has taken
up smoking again ...now one of his buddies has
asked him to show up next week to dig enough
post-holes to erect a picket fence. eek

* I've a record rivaling Nathan Bedford Forrest.
I'm starting to think I'm jinxed. blush
Seriously, how does one dissuade a strong-minded
individual from doing whateverthefuktheywantu,
even though you can see the cliff from way off...?
Posted by: MrB

Re: Makes you think - 07/07/13 10:39 AM

We are some bunch, aren't we?

My brother ,nearest in age to me , is here or a visit. We've been reliving some old memories and creating some new ones. I only see him and his wife every year or so.

Yesterday we visited the other brother, the one whose house burned,. He is going to be 87 next week. Wen we left, my brother was in tears. Saying how hard it is to say good by when it might be the last time.

I've felt that way myself.

It's tough.

Dave