"You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright"

Posted by: MrB

"You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/26/13 05:21 AM

A question

A guy tells a joke. A listener doesn't laugh. The jokester comments that since he didnt understand the humor that the listener is not very bright.

Is this a valid and logical conclusion ?

I ask this because this one of the themes coming from the comments following the piece on rape jokes here

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/living/rape-jokes-women-comedy/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

When I first read the first part of the piece, I was rather enraged that anyone could get humor out of rape. Then reading further then reading some of the comments I have my question above.

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/26/13 04:53 PM

Sometimes we expect too much from our audience - perhaps telling a joke that requires the listener to have certain life experiences they don't have.

Case in point: I had dinner with some in-laws the other night. They told me a joke that goes like this:
Q.: How can you tell a Finlander likes you?
A.: He stares at your shoes.

Now, the people of Finnish descent that've settled around here for the last century are generally extreme introverts. But if you haven't observed that, either through lack of contact or not paying attention to people in that way, you won't get the joke.

I told it to several different people the following day, and no one got it. laugh The joke was on me.

No problem - everyone at the dinner table the other night got it and guffawed. smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 07:46 AM

Humor's the hardest thing because of that, Stumpy. You really need the context that makes the joke funny, and if you don't have it, there is no joke. It's not a matter of being bright. The same goes for irony and sarcasm.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 08:05 AM

Q.: How can you tell a Finlander likes you?
A.: He stares at your boobs.

Ba-da-Boom!

See... boob jokes.. everyone gets those!
Posted by: Celandine

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 08:42 AM

Why does the Porridge Bird lay her eggs in the air? crazy

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 09:14 AM

To give you custard on yer head!
Actually.. they lay them in nests.. like all other boids.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 11:06 AM

Not everyone finds the same things funny. If someone tells a joke and a listener doesn't laugh, it's because they didn't find it funny. There are heaps of reasons why this might be so.

Personally, I think when people find rape jokes funny it's because they're shocking. And when people don't find rape jokes funny, it's because being raped is even more shocking. Nothing is inherently funny. If you're not sure whether or not your audience includes rape survivors, it's best to tell another joke instead. Because listening to other people laugh at a rape joke, when you yourself have been raped, is an extra punishment.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 11:14 AM

For jokes there's also the equivalent of location location location for real estate. prime evidence.

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
Not everyone finds the same things funny. If someone tells a joke and a listener doesn't laugh, it's because they didn't find it funny. There are heaps of reasons why this might be so.

Personally, I think when people find rape jokes funny it's because they're shocking. And when people don't find rape jokes funny, it's because being raped is even more shocking. Nothing is inherently funny. If you're not sure whether or not your audience includes rape survivors, it's best to tell another joke instead. Because listening to other people laugh at a rape joke, when you yourself have been raped, is an extra punishment.

OBVIOUSLY.. THERE'S NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT RAPE.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 11:52 AM

Well, that's the thing. Some people find rape jokes funny, in certain situations. And those people are only sometimes misogynists - more often they're just kind of adolescent, and it's the shock value of the joke that causes the giggle (as with all the "minority"/othering jokes out there).

This is why I'm not stating rape jokes aren't funny, since they clearly are to some people (though it'd be bloody great if they weren't) - I'm saying rape jokes are never funny to people who've been raped, and as a valuable service to those people, it's best to avoid telling them just in case.

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 12:50 PM

...and my boob joke wouldn't be funny if you just had a mastectomy. You can't please everyone.

And sometimes... just sometimes... people are too stupid to get the joke.
Posted by: MrB

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/27/13 08:48 PM

I find rape jokes detestable .

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: "You didn't get my joke? You're not very bright" - 06/28/13 07:31 AM

For a working comedian no audience response is death...and it will cause the comedian not to bet booked as often