Modem Operandi.

Posted by: steveg

Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 11:29 AM

Today Time Warner replaced my cable modem because the one I've had for a year has been dropping signal a lot lately. It's a Moto SurfBoard (the one they issue for the 50MB service). I run a bridge via ethernet cable to a Belkin N750 DB wireless router.

But lo, the new modem includes wifi! It shows up in my wifi list, so I disconnect the Belkin and punch in the WEP key for the Moto and it's off to the races and I'm thinkin' I just cleared another dust collector off my shelf. 'Cept it's losing the race. confused

With the Belkin, my d/l is consistently an eyelash over 50MB down never under. But the Moto would not pull better than 46 + change. Who'd a thunk the bridge would be faster that the direct link.

Anywho, the Belkin is back online, and so is 50MB+ d/l. crazy
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 11:46 AM

If you can change the encryption in the modem from WEP to WPA/WPA2 it may make the difference.

BTW, worrying about 4M at 50M speed? Lay off the coffee. grin

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 12:38 PM

Just checked in Network Prefs. The Moto is WPA2 (the Belkin is both). Not an elevation to expire upon. grin
Posted by: garyW

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 02:33 PM

Do you have the TWC "Extreme" or "Ultimate" upgrade?

I pay for the "Extreme" blush that says up to 30Mbps download . I get 21 to 25 with their Arris Touchstone modem which they charge me for each month.

I also get frequent signal loss, at least twice each week. Shut down & pulling the power plug restores it. Sometimes I need to pull the modem battery if the phone line goes out.

I've got a new Airport Extreme or Time Capsule on my list of upgrades, but now I'm thinking it may not be needed if I can get TWC to upgrade for me. Or maybe even purchase the Moto Surfboard for $70.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 02:50 PM

I have the Ultimate 50MB. The Moto modems are now actually part of Arris. I was having signal drops because it turns out that a prolonged period of excessive signal strength and a damaged cable outside had compromised the modem. That's why they replaced it today. All the other external problems are finally solved.

The Belkin Router has been pretty decent, but I may switch back to an Airport base station in the near future.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 04:58 PM

Did you sign on with the Creative Cloud?

I was wondering how that is going with the professional designers. It is not attractive for us novices, at least for me. I am still using CS 3.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

I was wondering how that is going with the professional designers. It is not attractive for us novices, at least for me. I am still using CS 3.
Your CS3 will continue to work. If you ever want to upgrade you'll need to either join the CC or get a CS 6 hard copy which will be the last version available sans CC.

You also have the option to go GIMP which does more than what CS3 does, for free.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/19/13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

Your CS3 will continue to work. If you ever want to upgrade you'll need to either join the CC or get a CS 6 hard copy which will be the last version available sans CC.

You also have the option to go GIMP which does more than what CS3 does, for free.

I am on CS4, decided not go to CC and pay each month for a lot of apps I'll never use. I just bought a brand new disk copy of CS6 Design Standard on ebay for $830. That'll last me for several years to come. I wanted the disk, not the full license CS6 download from Adobe that is mostly available now for much more money.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 03:28 AM

I'm trialing CC and will probably make the jump next month. I have CS6, so the 1st year will only be $19/mo. Even when the intro rate ends, the overall cost will be about the same as the old model. Adobe's major upgrades have historically been a/b every three years, and the cost has been up to $1,800 depending on which suite you buy. Three year's leasing will be in the same range.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 06:08 AM

Well OK the de-cluttering continues. I disconnected everything, reset the modem, and re-enabled the wifi function, and the readings are now consistently on par with the speeds the Belkin was delivering: 50+MB down, and 4.8 - 5.2MB up.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly over a year old Belkin N750 DB router? PM me I geev youse gooood price! wink
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 07:10 AM

Would you be able to effectively use CC without such a high speed connection?

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 07:50 AM

Natcherly. You're still working with installed clients/apps, and once installed, you can even work offline. The cloud component is for registration validation, updates, and file storage/sharing, etc.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 08:31 AM

Quote:
registration validation

Mostly this.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 08:42 AM

And whatever the NSA needs to know. eek

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 08:44 AM

Here's what got me - if you stop your subscription you will never be able to open your files without paying the minimum monthly charge to make the app available to you.

I don't know if my own reasoning makes sense in terms of how the technology changes. I was asked a few weeks ago if I could supply some PDF spreads of a book project from 2000. It was created in Quark . I can't open it, Quark was made for Classic OS, the files are dead to me. And I can see this happening with my body of work produced in ID. Everything is saved to PDF now for proofing and review, but if source files are unavailable I'm stuck. At least now I'll have a DVD install of CS6 but who knows if that'll run in 5 years or so. Seems optical drives are dinosaurs, yet my entire design career is archived on DVDs.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 08:51 AM

I would back all of those up on a HD and zip lock it and put it away.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 09:02 AM

Yup. When I switch, I plan to keep CS6 on the bootable system clone on my external HD just in case.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 11:39 AM

Everything backed up on Firewire drives . which will need to be transfered to Thunderbolt drives which will need to be transfered to --- ..

Those serial-ata drives in ziplock bags are going to do me a lot of good too when everything is SSD in a few years.

It's very frustrating to need to update the hardware that backs up files in outdated software that cannot be accessed. crazy

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Yup. When I switch, I plan to keep CS6 on the bootable system clone on my external HD just in case.

My understanding is that InDesign CS6 will not open inDesign CC files unless they're saved as InDesign Markup (IDML).

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 11:59 AM

I take it back. She's a no 4 sale! frown

The Moto is 2.4 GHz, not enough signal strength to punch through the ceiling and walls between my office and my daughter's room. The Belkin has 2.4 and 5GHz. So it's back on line. Oh well...
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW

My understanding is that InDesign CS6 will not open inDesign CC files unless they're saved as InDesign Markup (IDML).

Tried opening a CC document in CS6:

So yes, IDML ...

Or change your workflow to include saving an archive version of all your CC projects to an earlier version. Of course, that might get rid of whatever CC-specific stuff you may have used in the document, which kind of makes using the CC version moot in the first place ...

I can't see where this won't become a huge issue for Adobe -- at some point I wager they'll have to come up with a solution for opening/saving documents orphaned by an expired subscription ...

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 01:45 PM

I take it back. She's a no 4 sale! frown

The Moto is 2.4 GHz, not enough signal strength to punch through the ceiling and walls between my office and my daughter's room. The Belkin has 2.4 and 5GHz. So it's back on line. Oh well...

Dammit! I swear... I was just coming in here to say I would wait a few days before taking your proclamations under consideration.... crazy
Too bad it didn't work.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 01:48 PM

Bite me. >:p

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
Here's what got me - if you stop your subscription you will never be able to open your files without paying the minimum monthly charge to make the app available to you.

I don't know if my own reasoning makes sense in terms of how the technology changes. I was asked a few weeks ago if I could supply some PDF spreads of a book project from 2000. It was created in Quark . I can't open it, Quark was made for Classic OS, the files are dead to me. And I can see this happening with my body of work produced in ID. Everything is saved to PDF now for proofing and review, but if source files are unavailable I'm stuck. At least now I'll have a DVD install of CS6 but who knows if that'll run in 5 years or so. Seems optical drives are dinosaurs, yet my entire design career is archived on DVDs.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6d48a.html

http://www.graphic-design-employment.com/free-quark-to-indesign-conversion.html

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/20/13 10:49 PM

Oh yeah, ID CS4 can "open" laugh an older Quark doc . but what appears is totally unusable, unrecognizable as the original file except for a photo or two surrounded by scambled text. ID is laughing at Quark style sheets, flowing random text into the ether and taunting me, asking me who's my daddy.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 06:36 AM

Have you tried the Markzware solution?

Unfortunately they don't have a demo.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 07:01 AM

no. $200 just to see if it actually works? Files from 10-18 years are never really needed, it's just weird to think of all the graphic design jobs created over such a long period (pre-CS) that I hang onto if a job from wayback-when needs to reprint I would just let my print shop's prepress dept deal with it grin
Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 01:58 PM

Hey guys, hows it going?

Just thought Id pop in. I have a bit of spare time on a lazy-ish Friday afternoon so I thought Id look up some old haunts.

The day Adobes creative cloud went live I signed up crazy as that sounds. That was pretty much the top of the week.The special discount rates for the first year sounded good to me. Though Ive messed with Premiere and Flash in the past, the heavy lifters for me are Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and, to a lesser extent lately, InDesign. So, really, on a daily basis all Im using is three apps from the suite - but they are very much my bread and butter.

The ability to run all of the latest apps is very appealing to me. Photoshop CC in particular launches very quickly. None of them feel like slouches and the interface is evolving nicely - flatter, leaner.

I realize that, having stepped in this direction, theres likely no going back. Adobe has bet the farm that subscription-based design software is the way to go and I dont see them backing down. They expect the wave of dissidents to dwindle to a trickle. I think theyve made a sound bet.

If Im having a good year in the business, then six bills a year is a price Im willing to pay to have year-round access to the full slate of Adobes latest and greatest tools. Plus I just dig the workflow and smooth interoperability. Hey, if there was a solid competing suite that was cheaper and was as slick, Id be all over it. The production bureaus I deal with would have to be good with those tools, mind you.

Meantime Im enjoying Illustrator 17 (!) and the other goodies.

Cheers from Toronto yall,

Max

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 02:26 PM

'Scuzeme, fella... are you lost or sumpin'? confused

Great to see your bad ass back in here, m'man. And BTW, I share your POV of leCloud. Will be going there meself in the next few weeks.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 02:40 PM

Again hello. Artist rising, becomes old friend from the north! grin

</babble remix>

I'll revisit my Adobe CC resistance in a year or so
Design Standard apps are all I use : ID, AI, PS & Acrobat.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 02:59 PM

LOL!

Good to see you fellows are still here. Makes me glad. Continuity rocks!
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 03:14 PM

Gruntleman returns!
Hey Max, good to see you.

I'll be holding off CC until I start to get jobs that I can't open.
I'm assuming the license is tied to a single user, not a computer, right?
Will I be able to use it at work, home and laptop?

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Gruntleman returns!
Hey Max, good to see you.

I'll be holding off CC until I start to get jobs that I can't open.
I'm assuming the license is tied to a single user, not a computer, right?
Will I be able to use it at work, home and laptop?
You can use it on two computers at once. Whether you can install it on more than 2 I don't know for sure.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 03:47 PM

Curtis, Jim, gresat to see you hepcats.

Pretty sure it's all good for two computers. Thinking of letting my wife use it on her iMac at home.

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 06:00 PM

Oh sure.. just pop in whenever it damn well suits you!

laugh

How the heck ya been?

Re: Modem Operandi. - 06/21/13 06:04 PM

Hey Max.. I remember you were a big Sopranos fan. How did the news hit ya?