RIP Slim

Posted by: KateSorensen

RIP Slim - 06/19/13 11:04 AM

Quote:
Beatle George Harrison cited Whitman as an early influence: "The first person I ever saw playing a guitar was Slim Whitman, either a photo of him in a magazine or live on television. Guitars were definitely coming in."[15] Paul McCartney credited a poster of Whitman with giving him the idea of playing his guitar left-handed with his guitar strung the opposite way to a right-handed player's.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: RIP Slim - 06/19/13 12:08 PM

I have this album.
I play it every time I want to save the Earth from the Martian invasion.

One of my earliest musical memories as a child.

RIP, Slim.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: RIP Slim - 06/19/13 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
I have this album.
I play it every time I want to save the Earth from the Martian invasion.
That rates as one of the funniest scenes I have ever seen in a movie. Literally one of my top LOL movie moments.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: RIP Slim - 06/19/13 01:16 PM

Agreed, Jim.

"His 1955 hit single "Rose Marie" held the Guinness World Record for the longest time at number 1 on the UK Singles Chart until Bryan Adams broke the record in 1991 after 36 years"
That's pretty damn impressive. I think he knocked The Beatles off the charts at some point, too.

Total Releases: 15
Chart Appearances: 138
Highest Chart Entry: 1
First Chart Appearance: 16/07/1955
Number One Singles: 1
Number One Albums: 2
Total Top 10 Singles: 4
Total Top 10 Albums: 3
Total Top 40 Singles: 8
Total Top 40 Albums: 5

For the uninitiated…
Posted by: lanovami

Re: RIP Slim - 06/19/13 01:31 PM

How much of that skit is true I wonder? He knew how to maintain tension. If they'd just started screaming at each other you'd know it was all staged for sure. Elayne Boosler, there was a name I had forgotten.
Posted by: MrB

Re: RIP Slim - 06/20/13 01:28 AM

Liked his music
Posted by: Pirate

Re: RIP Slim - 06/20/13 06:18 AM

I remember the Saturday afternoon tv infomercials selling his recordings in the mid 80's