Man of Steel

Posted by: DLC

Man of Steel - 06/16/13 06:17 PM

I think this will revive the Superman series like Batman Begins did Batman. I thought it was well done esp the fight scenes at the end. It's NOT perfect but better than we've seen since the original in 1977 and its first sequel (only decent other one). All others since then stunk ! I loved the flashbacks as a kid and him trying to find his identity and destiny. I hope they put more in future sequels. I was impressed with Crowe's part as Jor El... thought he was very good ! Kosner was good but Crowe stole the second major part. This was NOT a cheap movie to make - I think I heard it cost $200 million. Hope it does well this weekend.

I give it a 4.25 out of 5.0... maybe a 4.5.... somewhere in that ball park. grin
Anyone else impressed ?? (or not)

Posted by: Pirate

Re: Man of Steel - 06/16/13 07:27 PM

took in 125 million on the first day...almost got their investment back
Posted by: steveg

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 03:04 AM

Ya beat me to it! Saw it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although , it's still hard to top The Original!

grin cool

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 09:07 AM

You've heard of the Superman curse haven't ya? I doubt it's real, but poor old George Reeves killed himself and Christopher Reeve had that terrible equestrian accident.

I loved G. Reeves... great guy. Watched that series every day as a kid. On one of his episodes he had Chuck Connors !! (and his mule). BTW Connors name in the episode was Superman ! Those 2 hit it off pretty well. I also liked the 2nd Lois Lane (Noel Neill) better than the first (Phyllis Coates). Jack Larsen was a hoot, esp. the time he tried to play a Bogart type Private Eye ! He even had the lisp down !! laugh It was great Sci-Fi for the 50's !!

In fact coincidentally, yesterday was the 54th anniversary of Reeves' death. June 16th ! frown

Posted by: Pirate

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Ya beat me to it! Saw it yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although , it's still hard to top The Original!

grin cool

I think George Reeves was the second Superman, following Kirk Alyn who in 1948 was in the first Superman movie, and again in 1950 in a movie called Atom Man Vs. Superman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Alyn

in a series

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 02:22 PM

He was, but he's 10X better known than "what's his name" ! laugh

In one of the 40's Superman Serials, Tommy Bond (Butch in Our Gang) played Jimmy Olsen ! How's that for trivia !!??
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 03:06 PM

Don't you be talkin' bad about Phyllis Coates.

The first B&W Season was THE BEST.
It was not as goofy as the color seasons.

I accept your apology.

Re: Man of Steel - 06/17/13 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Don't you be talkin' bad about Phyllis Coates.

The first B&W Season was THE BEST.
It was not as goofy as the color seasons.

I accept your apology.

Well Phyllis was a very spunky woman. I'll give her credit for that ! wink