THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat!

Posted by: Nana

THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 01:47 PM

A few months ago a poster mentioned they sedated their cat for their move to either Ga or Texas. The name of the poster escapes me. blush

For some reason, that idea stayed w/me. I am planning on moving in a few months so I called my vet about sedating my 5yr old never been outside, non affectionate, biting house cat.

Vet told me when I am ready, bring my cat in & he will give me a sedative to give him. Will knock him out for approximately for 8 hours.

So THANK YOU again to the poster whose name I can't remember (male) for planting that idea in my head.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 02:13 PM

Went from st louis to omaha with a cat in a carrier in the back seat of a car....game him the pill the vet gave me...worked darn good too....until about an hour outside of omaha...oh boy what a noise, cat must have been stressing a lot

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 02:14 PM

Went from st louis to omaha with a cat in a carrier in the back seat of a car....game him the pill the vet gave me...worked darn good too....until about an hour outside of omaha...oh boy what a noise, cat must have been stressing a lot
Posted by: MrB

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 02:25 PM

Not only the cat was stressed

Someone posted the same reply twice. whistle

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 03:03 PM

We moved from IL to PA, and my wife and new-born son took the airplane while I drove, with our four (4) cats in our little Chevette (yeah, Chevette . . . gonna make a big deal of it?!). My one cat, which lived with me in MA before I got married, and moved out to IL with us and then back east to PA--that cat did not stop meowing between IL and PA. By the time we got to what's now my home town, I was singing so loud (and believe me, you do not want to hear me singing!!) that I was drowning out the sound of the meowing. I still haven't quite gotten over it, now 24 years later.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 06:13 PM

It amuses me no end that your avatar
so often reflects what you're posting. grin
Posted by: DLC

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 06:52 PM

It was moi, Nana !!

Didn't work too well; William meowed 800+ miles anyway. But it was not a "knock out" sedative - one just to calm him. Guess it wasn't enough. However our cat was 15 and had lived in the same house all his life - it was a traumatic change (100% indoor cat). Took him a month to adjust. Maybe if it's a total sedative, it'll work better for you.

Good Luck !
Posted by: Jim_

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 08:39 PM

Our vet prescribes Valium. I forget the dosage.

He prescribes something for the cat too. grin

Of course you need to be able to cram the Valium down its throat without getting gouged. smirk

Or maybe they'll wolf it down in some tuna, or a Pill Pocket, Greenies makes them. See if the cat will eat the Pill Pocket before trying with a pill. If they do give some a few days before to establish a routine and sneak the Valium/Narcotics in one.

You might want to see how they react to the knock out pill, give it a test run.
Posted by: MrB

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/08/13 09:31 PM

There was a Seth Meyers segment on his news slot on SNL a few years back.

He said vets had perfected hip replacement procedure for cats. Cost was $6000

Then he followed with

Which is $6000 more than COMPLETE cat replacement.

Dave

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 06:42 AM

Chevettes were a fine little car, had a guy come into the parts store for some brakes for a corvette....sold them to him, later he came back said they would not fit...so I tried and tried to find the right set....couldn't so I ask what kind of corvette he had...said it was a fancy 4 door special model of the corvette built in England....gave a good price for it too....I had to be the one to tell him that he got suckered..some one sold him a Chevette called it a corvette and my guy believed it....oh brother...
Posted by: DLC

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 08:48 AM

Thought of something else... the Vet said to try one tablet before we traveled. So a few days before, I gave him one. Worked fine... he slept for several hours, BUT remember he was "in his normal environment" and comfortable. Once you start moving them, they get stressed and the adrenaline level goes up... effects may not be the same. I'm sure it was better with than wo it, but it wasn't 100% effective.

Best of Luck for you an kitty !

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 09:03 AM

Our Chevette lasted us 13 years, moved us from Boston to south-central IL, a couple of times to Boston to visit and then back to IL and then twice to PA to look for a place to move to and then finally to move. It died 5 years after we moved to PA. The dealer gave us a hundred bucks for it, though.

On the whole, it was a pretty good 8,000 investment (I think that's what it cost).

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 09:08 AM

THANK YOU DLC!!!!! You de MAN! laugh

My 100% house cat meows all the way to vet, meows in the waiting room & still meows when in the examining room. Since he's a biter, the vet has to keep him under a fish net. It's so embarrassing. Especially, since he's been bitten twice by my cat. blush
The few times, I've boarded him, the folks there tells me his meowing lasts a full week. They all know when he calms down because he starts giving every cat handler "love bites." mad

I'm only moving across town. However, I was concerned that during moving day with the movers coming in & out of the house, he would become so stressed out he would have a heart attack. My cat does not take kindly to strangers. He almost always hides some place. Otherwise, he goes on attack mode. mad
I know it will take him a long time to get use to the new place. What I had planned on doing was putting all his favorite things in one corner of the room till he gets use to the place.

At first, he vet said he will give me something to calm him down. When I reminded him who I was, the vet was like, "you're going to need something stronger. I got just the thing. He'll be knocked out for approximately 8 hrs." laugh

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 09:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Thought of something else... the Vet said to try one tablet before we traveled. So a few days before, I gave him one. Worked fine... he slept for several hours, BUT remember he was "in his normal environment" and comfortable. Once you start moving them, they get stressed and the adrenaline level goes up... effects may not be the same. I'm sure it was better with than wo it, but it wasn't 100% effective.

Best of Luck for you an kitty !

What ever the vet gives me, I am giving to my cat at least 2 hours before the movers arrives. When he drifts off the sleep, will put him inside his carrier & place him in the bathtub w/the shower door & bathroom door closed.

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Our vet prescribes Valium. I forget the dosage.

He prescribes something for the cat too. grin

Classic Cat/Dog/Pill Joke

Quote:
Or maybe they'll wolf it down in some tuna, or a Pill Pocket, Greenies makes them. See if the cat will eat the Pill Pocket before trying with a pill. If they do give some a few days before to establish a routine and sneak the Valium/Narcotics in one.

You might want to see how they react to the knock out pill, give it a test run.

DOSAGE MATTERS:
So check with your Vet
Too Much can result in the OPPOSITE Reaction
Racing Heartbeat, Hyper-Nervous, Panting .....etc.....

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 12:21 PM

That was a nice video Celandine. I downloaded it. I did a search on YouTube also but yours is the best one!

My cat gets docile when I hold him by the scruff of his neck like his mama use to do. Works great when I give him is petromalt for hairballs.
Lucky me, my cat just loves raw tuna which I give to him as a treat = no biting for 24 hours.

He's taking his deep nap right now-on his side w/legs curled & tail curled around body. When he wakes up, I am going to try the holding over the eyes/cheek thing. Ain't no way, am I going to get him to lay on a blanket long enough for me to wrap him in it w/one hand - the other holding him by the scruff of his neck. He weighs 18 lbs at 5 yrs old. All muscle. laugh

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 01:23 PM

Quote:
I am going to try the holding over the eyes/cheek thing.

Didn't work. I guess it works for kittens & not an adult 1+ yrs. Looked like a kitten in the video.
Guess I'll stick to the neck scruff.

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 02:10 PM

S'truth! crazy

I myself was wondering
where we could rent that cat
next time we have to give a pill. smirk

That's the Most DOCILE Cat I've EVER Seen! laugh
Posted by: Mike

Re: THANK YOU to the poster who sedated their cat! - 06/09/13 04:48 PM

If I try to wrap my cat in a towel, he'll shred that towel in minutes!