You betcha!

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/07/13 01:15 PM

Duh...
...ya' think? crazy
Posted by: steveg

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/07/13 02:12 PM

Two things at work there:
1. Profiling or more like stereotypical-driven assumptions.
2. Cluelessness. No serious thief will go to that much public effort. If something can't be stolen quietly and in 60 seconds or less, it's a waive off. This I know from my years of work for Kryptonite locks. It's all about slowing the perp down.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I refrained from riding my bike in Prospect Park because bike thieves would hide behind big trees next to the paths and clothesline unsuspecting cyclists as they rode by. Very efficient. Knock you off your bike and ride off with it in less than 5 seconds! shocked
Posted by: MrB

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/07/13 05:26 PM

Would have to agree. That's way too much effort to get the chain off unless its the owner.

Ever tried to get into your car after the keys have been locked in. I have several times no one ever questioned me about it. Some have even helped

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/07/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Would have to agree. That's way too much effort to get the chain off unless its the owner.

Ever tried to get into your car after the keys have been locked in. I have several times no one ever questioned me about it. Some have even helped

Dave

You missed the point. You're not black... so of course no one questioned you.

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/08/13 04:33 AM

No, actually I didn't miss the point, andi understand exactly. I was giving my experience. But as Steve mentioned other things were going on.

But the difference shown in three individuals was certainly telling. I would have liked, also, to have seen a segment showing a white a little less "screechy clean" .

I once heard or read of an individual applying over the phone for jobs. He was a linguist able to speak in different accents.

He used the same data on each, but used different accents, from Midwestern white, eastern, southern, African American, Hispanic.

He received quite different responses.

Also, he used different names. From Bradford, Manuel, Dashawn, to Jim Bob. Everything else the same even accent. Also got different reactions.

My point. People profile all the time. A guy walks in the door, we look him over and then we profile. It's natural. What we have to be careful is not treat people by our profiles.

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/08/13 10:16 AM

Indeed;
*DWB is a serious offense even here in the North East.

*Driving While Black
in fact, it's been known to getcha' kilt.

I'm glad that racial profiling within Law Enforcement
is FINALLY being addressed... the "Stop & Frisk" Law
is not "just" filling quotas... IT'S RUINING LIVES! shocked

Re: Racial profiling? - 06/08/13 10:29 AM

What is interesting is that many African Americans think the same way towards blacks.

As in this video, the two African American ladies said they didn't have concern since it was a white boy.

Dave