Tornado season

Posted by: MrB

Tornado season - 05/20/13 07:10 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html

Tornado in Moore Oklahoma kills 51. Near Okey City.

Oh, Man

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Tornado season - 05/20/13 09:50 PM

That poor town. Twenty of the dead so far are kids trapped in an elementary school. Good lord almighty.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Tornado season - 05/20/13 11:50 PM

HEADS UP, People! shocked
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 04:15 AM

What a terrible shame.

Having grown up in the Chicago area, where we'd had a few really bad ones, I've tried to imagine what a mile-wide tornado would look like. It's hard for me to envision such a thing.

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 07:36 AM

On one of the sites I read, a man said it looked like a war zone. I've heard this before, wondering if he has actually seen a war zone. I wonder if soldiers overlooking a war zone comment that it looks like a tornado had gone through.

I recall seeng pictures of the aftermath of the tornado that devastated Joplin Missouri a while back. It showed part of the city, where houses and buildings stood were now completely flattened. Everything gone. Not a single thing over four inches high for blocks.

Dave.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 07:39 AM

He may not mean that it literally looks like a war zone. A war zone would have shells and bodies, etc. I think he means the amount of devastation.

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 09:07 AM

Fatalities have been downgraded to 24 so far. Earlier numbers mst have included duplicates .

So sad.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 09:25 AM

That's quite a few for a tornado. frown
Posted by: DLC

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 10:34 AM

The March 18, 1925 "Tri State Tornado" killed 695... but that was before they had warning systems.

We live in NE Texas and few if any have basements or shelters. We were stunned when we were house shopping. Could get one installed in the yard , but I suspect it'd cost $6-10K !!

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 10:51 AM

This kinda' puts it in some perspective

...but still... frown

When I lived in Bonham, on the outskirts of Dallas,
I stumbled across the set of "Cellar-Doors" out in
the middle of the back yard of the place I was
staying in and wondered "WTHeck is this, and why
is it in the middle of the yard?!?"

When I was told, it became one of the many reasons
for returning to "The Greater New York Area". grin

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 01:06 PM

Kevin Durant's the Man!

Kevin Durant, star of the just defeated Oklahoma City Thunder of the NBA, has donated $1,000,000 to the Red Cross for the tornado relief.

And he did it with out publicizing it. Others founde out about it and gave to media. I guess he feels like he has been given a lot buy his local fans and wants to return.

Or, he could just be a great guy.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...fforts/related/

Dave

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 01:25 PM

As I recall, the tristate tornado ccurred during the day, where I believe most have happened in the late afternoon-early evening. The tristate also might have been more than one tornado. It also went through small towns and rural areas. I don't think it hit a larger city like Ok City is.
Back then, they had few warning systems and little communication. But, and this is my feeling, in 1925 the rural population, including small twns had a keen sense of the weather and watched it all the time. I know my older siblings did and my folks, all who were around then.

All in all, things are different now. It's hard to compare such things. But tornados can be murderous, as are Hurricanes and earthquakes.

As to earthquakes. We had one with epicenter northeast of Tulsa that I felt clear up here. Rather rattled me. Pun intended

Dave

Re: Tornado season - 05/21/13 02:57 PM

You're right Dave - they don't know if the TriState was 1 or a family of 9 that traveled over 300 miles combined. They didn't have the technology then to tell. Regardless, it came from the same storm system that unleashed Hell on 3 states !

I really feel for the people of Moore... man, twice in 14 years and BOTH EF5s !! Holy Shiite, Batman ! eek
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Tornado season - 05/22/13 07:28 AM

Today is the May 22nd is the day the killer tornado hit Joplin MO several years ago, they are still digging out

Re: Tornado season - 05/22/13 07:45 AM

Joplin, MO...
...I spent a week there one evening... wink

On the way to Dallas, the Grayhound left without me.

I spent the evening wandering around town,
it was a very nice and tidy little town.
Sorry to hear of such misery being visited upon it.

Re: Tornado season - 05/22/13 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Today is the May 22nd is the day the killer tornado hit Joplin MO several years ago, they are still digging out

Two years ago, wasn't it?

Dave

Re: Tornado season - 05/22/13 06:15 PM

Two years to the day, they have rebuilt a lot but there is still a lot to be done
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 04:51 PM

My family and I stayed at a Ramada Inn there in '95. The motel was nice, but it was the only place I've ever stayed with armed guards walking the hallways. frown

Got a good pizza up the road, though. smile

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 06:33 PM

Well, I was there in just for that evening in
either 1967 or 1968. So much was happening in
my life back then it's difficult to recall it
all in chronological order.

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 07:01 PM

In May 1970 I just moved out of the dorm and into a house with 2 other guys. Left Lubbock and went home to Amarillo- 120 mi N. That night we found out a tornado nailed Lubbock and was I worried I'd lost all my belongings. Luckily it wasn't in the part of town I moved into. smile Phew, close call !!

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 07:30 PM

Why the armed guards? What was going on in '95?

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 07:37 PM

I have a nephew living in Joplin.

Dave

Re: Tornado season - 05/23/13 08:14 PM

The only thing I could think of that was going on in or near joplin in 1995 was the OK. City Bombings. OK City is just down the road from joplin

Re: Tornado season - 05/24/13 07:12 AM

Ah! I didn't connect MO with OK.

Re: Tornado season - 05/24/13 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Ah! I didn't connect MO with OK.

...and who would connect that to
the FIRST World Trade Center Disaster
...besides Paulette who was caught up in
both WTC Incidents.

SEE: The Perils of Paulette