Titanic the sequel

Posted by: MrB

Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 03:09 AM

What a great Idea whistle. I bet people will be dying to get on board.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/..._n_2771356.html

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 03:32 AM

I agree with you a fabulous concept bringing memories back again.Need plenty of money to do this though.

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 04:57 AM

A lot of people don't know that the Titanic was one of three ships built along the same design. It's the second that was launched . It's sster ship, the Olympic , had completed several successful trips before the Titanic had its ill fated maiden trip in 1912. Then after the sinking of titanic , it and her other sibling, the Britannic, were upgraded for safety . The Britannic was sunk in 1916 during the war as she was fitted as a hospital ship

The Olynpic served during the war then was refitted as a luxury liner to run until the 1935.

What I think is interesting is that when the Titanic was sinking, the Olympic was steaming to her rescue . Was only 100 miles from her but was ordered back. The reason was tht it was thought that the drowning passengers of the Titanic wouldn't want to get on a ship identical to the one they came off of. What kind of logic is that??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Olympic

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 08:29 AM

Not so much dying to get aboard as scrambling to get off eh?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 02:02 PM

I kinda have that sinking feeling that it won't go over all that well.....but I did find a way to spend the 600 million dollar power ball winnings...build a huge ship and.....
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 02:05 PM

And here I'd heard that it went over pretty easily.

Edit: Sorry--my mistake. It was "went under." wink

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 02:13 PM

It is good to remember, but to build another one...dont know....you can visit the Titanic museum in Branson MO
and see a lot of the original recovered items.

The Titanic is kinda like a Henry J, Edsel, or Tucker....
better remembered than reproduced....someone tried to reproduce the Tucker in recent years, in fiberglass...guess you can still find some of the repro's on the market but it did not go over as expected

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 03:23 PM

Didn't the Edsel get rebadged as the Galaxy? Seems I recall reading that somewhere. Except for its interesting looks, I don't believe it was a bad car .

My folks had a 1957 Plymouth Savoy. I hated the looks of that thing. A wimpy car also. I recall driving that thing with my dad. There were times when we would see one in front of us. Dad would say, "Don't get to close to it as a piece might fly off and hit us"

I discovered that I could shift down on it without clutching. It had a manual column shift.

Dave

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 05:24 PM

No..Edsel was its own division of FMC, like Lincoln was, the Galaxy was a Ford division model...but during Edsels life
it was no more than a Ford with tail light and grill changes, and some luxury features.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 05:42 PM

They better hurry !!! . . . . . eek

there won't be any Icebergs left from Global Warming !! whistle

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/20/13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
No..Edsel was its own division of FMC, like Lincoln was, the Galaxy was a Ford division model...but during Edsels life
it was no more than a Ford with tail light and grill changes, and some luxury features.

I think that what I heard that they used the same chassis or something.

But was I correct that the Edsel wasn't a bad car just ddnt hit the publics fancy.

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/21/13 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
What a great Idea whistle. I bet people will be dying to get on board.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/..._n_2771356.html

Dave

Accommodates 2,600 Passengers at a Million $ a Pop!

This could be our Big Chance to fill it fulla'
the World's Richest SockTuckers
...and SCUTTLE The Bastid!

Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/21/13 03:52 AM

Not much logic at all.I never knew this information. Thanks for informing me about it.People could have been saved after all.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/21/13 01:18 PM

As you guys were talking cars and in some cases, ideas that never really caught on, I thought of my aunt's car that had push button shifting. Dodge or Plymouth? I don't know.

But this morning I just noticed an ad for a Lincoln on TV:

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/21/13 02:49 PM

1956 Plymouth, my dad had one.
Haven't thought about that car in years!

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/22/13 07:33 AM

Push button transmissions were on Ramblers, Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto,Chrysler, Imperial (ramblers used the Chrysler transmission)
the shifter was located to the left of the steering wheel on the dash or just below it.....what a lot of people dont remember is that Edsel had a push button system too, shifter ws on the steering wheel, in the center where the horn button would have been.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/22/13 02:14 PM

Dang me! You know cars, dontcha?

smile

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/22/13 05:33 PM

That he does, Kate

Dave

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/22/13 06:09 PM

I was born and raised in a garage, small town dealership we sold Studebaker, Rambler, Plymouth, Chrysler, Imperial, Triumph, Mercedes Benz, from the end of the ww2 to 1966 when Studebaker went out of business...then it was Pontiac, Cadillac, and Datsun for another 20 years....most of the car names have gone by the wayside....so is the old garage building...its now a Wendy's burger joint.

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/23/13 01:35 AM

So it went from axel grease to burger grease.

Dave

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/23/13 01:37 AM

I remember the days gong into our small town hanging around places like thse old time garages. Where every gas station had one.

Dave

Re: Titanic the sequel - 05/23/13 07:09 AM

Those were the days...our garage was a three story affair, top floor was a full service body shop and detail area, second floor was the showroom, there was one example of each line for the customers to see, and bottom floor was repairs, had 10 bays and a parts department. It was the hang out place for some of us, it was just across the street from the High School. You could talk car there but no hot rods...sports cars were ok..but no hot rods