Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first.

Posted by: Jim_

Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/15/13 06:32 PM

This is unbelievable. How many times he was caught but never prosecuted is ridiculous. I'm sure it's like this everywhere, probably bargaining down one charge by pleading guilty to another.

It was a pretty wild shootout in a relatively calm Yuppie kind of area. Luckily only the perps died.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 02:55 AM

We should enforce all the laws.

I've been to court several times during the last four years. As a spectator.

My son has been in jail or rehab, eight times. Been to court several times.

During those court sessions, I've watched others brought forward on several charges, mostly drugs and break-ins etc. with just a very few exceptions they have been probated or put on diversion.

It seemed to me at the time tht many of these should have received some sort of sentence, including my son.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 03:17 AM

Not at all unlike those who have dozens of DUIs on their driving records and suspended licenses and keep on driving 'til they kill someone. If they can't enforce traffic laws, how can we expect them to enforce gun safety laws?

Your tax dollar at work on coffee break. mad
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 04:00 AM

The jails are full, so people get lesser charges.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 05:09 AM

Yah, and they're full of people who shouldn't be there. Say Thankhyew failed War on Drugs! smirk
Posted by: DLC

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 06:09 AM

Yeah and WTF do they think will happen if the DUI alcohol blood limit is lowered from 0.08% to 0.05% ?? They don't have that many judges or courtrooms , nor jails... the insurance companies will LOVE it !! Your tax $ are with STUPID !!! wink

Not condoning DUI - it's very serious, but almost halving the limit in one whack is irresponsible and ludicrous!! Hell I could drink 2 beers in 1 hour and hit 0.05% !!! Happy Trails to Happy Hour !!

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 06:16 AM

Jim,

How about we hold the Judges that let them off accountable !! I can see some skirting the law once or twice and getting off on some technicality, but NOT this many times !! How about making the lawyers and Judges accountable ?

However even if we enforce the laws we have, we have TOO MANY GUNS on the street... it's like giving an alcoholic a case of beer !! Gun violence deaths will go UP not down as the NRA predicts ! All we're going to do is overcrowd the jails we have and cause us to spend mega$$ more building new ones. The USA is already #1 in the incarceration rate ! Gawd- how many more can we throw in the clinker ?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Not at all unlike those who have dozens of DUIs on their driving records and suspended licenses and keep on driving 'til they kill someone. If they can't enforce traffic laws, how can we expect them to enforce gun safety laws?

Your tax dollar at work on coffee break. mad

When someone pays by check at my store I am required to get their license number and other info..many times the license will have
"non driver" stamped on it....and I watch that person walk out of the store, get into a vehicle and drive off....makes me wonder
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 08:45 AM

I think we should build more jails. Let the states do it cause if federal dollars go into it they'll have to raise taxes and that's impossible. But at the state level it's not a big deal. Just cut more from education--no one has ever proven that classes with 100 kids in them are less effective than ones with 20, after all, and think of the savings on teacher salaries alone! And clearly we need jails more than schools. Americans seem to be much more prone to breaking the law than almost any other people on earth. I'd say it was the result of all those convicts sent over from England in the 18th century, but then how do you explain Australia's generally law-abiding population? Nah--it's the American spirit. One man's law-breaking is another man's constitutional right to do what he wants when he wants where he wants with whomever he wants.

So either lets build more jails so we don't have the joke of people talking their way out of jail terms because the prisons are so crowded. Or lets just follow out the logic of the anti-gun-law folks, who say that there's no point in passing laws because outlaws will just continue to be outlaws. Get rid of all the laws and then no one will be an outlaw and so we won't need jails at all. Bunkers maybe, but not jails.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 08:52 AM

It's a problem all too familiar to me. One of my closest HS friends as close and beloved as a sister was killed by one of these recidivists. A man with 11 DUIs and a revoked DL. He came around a blind curve at nearly 60 mph on a suburban road and hit her car head-on. Of course, he stumbled away with barely a scratch. mad

That was more than 40 years ago. But every time I hear about a DUI-related fatality, I think of Lynn.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 09:05 AM

Well said Yoyo.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 09:06 AM

Man Yoyo -
I bet your tongue almost poked a hole in the side of your mouth with that one !! wink

laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 09:39 AM

Moi? wink

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Yah, and they're full of people who shouldn't be there. Say Thankhyew failed War on Drugs! smirk
Got to protect us from that evil weed.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 10:16 AM

BTW I'm not saying we shouldn't make the gun registration laws tougher and more uniform, but if we can't enforce what we have now how are we going to enforce new ones.

Re: Guns, we have to enforce the laws we have first. - 05/16/13 01:10 PM

Ya can't do anything about what a judge decides...