Why is "X" the unknown?

Posted by: MrB

Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/08/13 07:52 AM

This is interesting. Well to me anyway. In math why do we solve for "X" in so many equations? Good reasons for it . It has to do with languages
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311486/how-x-became-the-unknown-symbol

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/08/13 07:43 PM

That's so kewl!
I LOVE collecting little bits and odds & ends.

I LOVE(d) TED TALKS until my outdated 2002 G4
could no longer access them. Now I play catch
up watching the talks wherever I can find them.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/08/13 11:07 PM

I thought you were just going to ask it as a hypothetical question and leave it at that. But there was actually an answer. Fascinating. I usually would rather read something, but I quite enjoyed this TED video.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/09/13 09:43 AM

Good one Dave.
Enjoyed it.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/09/13 01:06 PM

It was interesting, wasn't it. I never knew that. The derivation of words and phases intrigues me.

I used to complain about folks writing "Christmas " as. "Xmas" until I read that "X" was used as the word "Christ" by early folks

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/09/13 04:03 PM

"I used to complain about folks writing "Christmas " as. "Xmas" until I read that "X" was used as the word "Christ" by early folks"

A very Christian friend of mine back in the day used to complain about that. It was actually a Japanese Christian friend that explained to me the significance.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Why is "X" the unknown? - 05/09/13 04:13 PM

I love math, that's interesting. Probably why I love electronics, it's all math and logic. In High School I did great at Math and Sciences for not even applying myself. In English, Grammar etc, I struggled to pull C and D. laugh Post HS education was all A's, electronics and computers. I actually studied then. smirk

Didn't know that about Xmas, it used to bug me too when I thought people were abbreviating it.