Internet sales

Posted by: MrB

Internet sales - 05/06/13 11:17 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/tech/web/internet-sales-tax/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Looks as if it will pass. What is your take on this. I see the sides of the governments and the populace and certainly the businesses that have to collect these for every hamlet and parish.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 11:33 AM

I think it will level the playing field. There are lots of things available at retailers in my area that I buy on Amazon to avoid the sales tax. But if the prices are at parity and if paying a little more means supporting local businesses, I can live with it.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 11:53 AM

It has to go through the House after that.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 03:12 PM

Call me stupid
but I have no problem with paying my due taxes.
Stinks that it'll become a PItA for my E-Bay
small sellers who work out of their homes, God
Bless'em... you couldn't pay me enough to deal
with what they already go through, but I guess
it'll all shake out in the end (just like the
stink people made about Recycling) Now it's a
fact-of-life that we all do twice a week with-
out thinking twice about it.

ummm for what it's worth, IMHO people evading
taxes can't, in good conscience, grouse about
the filthy rich exploiting loop-holes & hiding
their money in off-shore accounts.

I'm sure a few pennies on a dollar isn't going
to be the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 05:09 PM

The states do need the money, as do the local economies. I believe there is a minimum sales and a minimum number of employees that a "business" needs to have before it pays the taxes in other states. I read $1 million and 50 employees ,I think. I suppose it's either/or.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 06:11 PM

Might eliminate some on line sales... sales tax often offset shipping charges.. or made the sale on line if shipping was free.

I understand the states view also.

It'll pass. We WON'T raise income taxes on millionaires & billionaires, but happy to for the middle working class spenders !! sick SUX !!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Internet sales - 05/06/13 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
but I have no problem with paying my due taxes.
Stinks that it'll become a PItA for my E-Bay
small sellers who work out of their homes, God
Bless'em..
From reading the thread and its links it seems that as the bill is currently written the rules won't apply to retailers with less than $1 million in sales. If one is selling that much out of their living room they can afford to hire an accountant to take care of the extra paperwork. Places like ebay are lobbying for a much higher limit though.

My opinion is it won't hurt online sales too much. From my experience the taxes that could be saved is usually nowhere near the better prices in general for most items purchased online, plus add to that the convenience of shopping in your slippers, and not having to use the gas.

Re: Internet sales - 05/07/13 01:06 AM

+1

Spot-on

you've sed a moufful, Brudda!

Re: Internet sales - 05/07/13 01:40 AM

I agree. One thing that I've been using a lot is Amazons Prime.

I have certainly saved more than my $75 I paid this last year for it.

I ordered some items Saturday and received them yesterday , Monday. Not even sure I could have found that brand here in my town. The one tiny gun store might have had them. But not at the price I paid .

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Internet sales - 05/07/13 06:30 AM

You hit on a great point, Dave. Internet sales become more important is you live in a rural or small town that doesn't have many shops or brands to choose from. I've had the same experience. smile

Ordered all my yard chemicals on line.

Re: Internet sales - 05/07/13 08:36 AM

Not only for the consumer but for the retailer as well. Now a small rural "store" which wants to sell items that might not have much local market, now has a large market.

I recall the many years of my trying to find professional photo equipment in my area. There were "photo" stores but they sold just Kodak stuff. Lawrence Photographic in Wichita, sold, for a while professional equipment but after a while even their market dried up. Just not that many customers in the market for $3500 Hasselblad or a Mamiya Rb67 in the 80's in the whole Kansas area. The would set on the shelf for years.

Dave

Re: Internet sales - 05/07/13 09:55 AM

Another market is for disabled people...
...the only place I go nowadays is to doctor's
and hospitals (mostly for rehab) more about that
in it's own thread. frown

...but having things delivered straight to the
door has become an indispensable part of my life.