Been reading a new Author recently

Posted by: MrB

Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 04:43 AM

Normally I read mystery fiction but get into historical fiction occasionally.

Recently found the works of L.J. Martin

http://www.amazon.com/L.-J.-Martin/e/B002C4R5VO/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1367839685&sr=8-1

He writes, mostly westerns. Whereas I don't often read westerns as such since they are too ficionalized and focus on high noon style gun fights, (rarely really happened). Martin relates his characters in more realistic settings. Giving more of a feeling of the times.

With Amazon Kindle books editions, one can pick a mentioned word or phrase and be sent to researching. In my current book, Stranahan, I picked up his horse, [i]grulla/[i], went to Wilipaedea , to discover its a Dun Colored horse closely tied to Wild horse breeds, then branched from there to saddles, and related tack. Then got into the derivatives of the Sharps rifle then to ditiling corn liquor.

That's how I read a book. The book becomes windows then doors into discovery.

Dave

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 11:00 AM

KEWL! cool

I like that "Windows turning into Doors" aspect.

I've never read a Kindle Book, do they have
links (similar to the ones in Wikipedia) that
expand into more and more indepth information?
I'd like that, I could easily get lost in that. smile

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 11:40 AM

When reading, if you see a word or something you expounded just select it and click on Wiki. When done exploring, click "done" to return to the position you left.

This is from kindle. I find the buying experience just great. The difficult time is finding a book but that is because there are so many out there. From amazon, using their "one click" I can click on it and it immediately downloads to my iPad . Fun actually. I pay from $2.99 to $14.00

Dave
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 02:32 PM

KEWL! smile

Can I assume that you can enlarge the print?
I'm legally blind without my glasses...it's
the main reason I respond in narrow columns.

If all kindles have that Wiki option, I might
consider it next time they have one of their
"offers I can't refuse". wink

Meanwhile, I've been using AudioBooks via my
iPod through the iTunes Store, but they can
get pretty expensive, and the selection isn't
all that great.

The selection of LARGE PRINT BOOKS
is pretty abysmal, to be overly kind. frown

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 03:14 PM

Absolutely, can increase print size. Also change typeface to several now. Can change from one or two columns on horizontal view which is the way I hold my ipad . But can view vertical also.

Kimble reader is free of course

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 03:28 PM

On the Kindle-for-iPad app, I've been reading a series of murder mysteries set in Napoleonic-era London, and love the ability to leave the text and go to Maps and see exactly where in London I am being taken. I have a fairly good sense of the geography of the city, but don't have a London cabbie address book in my mind!

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/06/13 04:25 PM

I do the same thing. For example, in the book I'm currently reading, I was looking at the maps showing Helena and Bozeman Montana with the mountains the hero had to cross.

The last book had the Exploits of Nelson Miles forcing the Lakota onto reservations just after Custer in 1876. Led me to look up the hstorical record.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/07/13 06:37 PM

I'm reading historical fiction novel:

The 19th Wife

Sweeping and lyrical, spellbinding and unforgettable, David Ebershoff’s The 19th Wife combines epic historical fiction with a modern murder mystery to create a brilliant novel of literary suspense.

It is 1875, and Ann Eliza Young has recently separated from her powerful husband, Brigham Young, prophet and leader of the Mormon Church. Expelled and an outcast, Ann Eliza embarks on a crusade to end polygamy in the United States. A rich account of a family’s polygamous history is revealed, including how a young woman became a plural wife.

Soon after Ann Eliza’s story begins, a second exquisite narrative unfolds–a tale of murder involving a polygamist family in present-day Utah. Jordan Scott, a young man who was thrown out of his fundamentalist sect years earlier, must reenter the world that cast him aside in order to discover the truth behind his father’s death.

And as Ann Eliza’s narrative intertwines with that of Jordan’s search, readers are pulled deeper into the mysteries of love and faith.

The 19th Wife is a finalist for the Utah Book Award, the Galaxy British Book Award, the Ferro-Grumley Award. Citing Ebershoff's heritage and themes, True West magazine has named David Ebershoff the best western fiction writer in America.

-*-*-*-*-

I am half way thru the book and enjoying it. Two parallel stories.

Reviews

Re: Been reading a new Author recently - 05/08/13 01:11 AM

Now that sounds interesting.

Dave