This Date In History

Posted by: Celandine

This Date In History - 05/04/13 06:50 PM

"Four Dead In Ohio"

"Find the Cost of Freedom"

The Kent State shootings—the May 4 massacre, or the Kent State massacre—occurred at Kent State University in the U.S. city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. The guardsmen fired 67 rounds over a period of 13 seconds, killing four students and wounding nine others, one of whom suffered permanent paralysis.

Some of the students who were shot had been protesting against the Cambodian Campaign, which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. Other students who were shot had been walking nearby or observing the protest from a distance.

There was a significant national response to the shootings: hundreds of universities, colleges, and high schools closed throughout the United States due to a student strike of four million students, and the event further affected the public opinion—at an already socially contentious time—over the role of the United States in the Vietnam War.

=============================================

Justice Department won't reopen probe of 1970 Kent State shootings
The Kent State Truth Tribunal (KSTT) was founded in 2010 upon the emergence of new forensic evidence regarding the May 4, 1970 Kent State Massacre. The new evidence consisted of a tape recorded by a Kent State student during the shootings. Though the original tape, known as the Kent State Strubbe tape, was destroyed by the FBI in 1979, a bonafide copy of the tape was located in 2007 and was analyzed in 2010 by internationally accredited forensic expert Stuart Allen. The analysis, derived using state-of-the-art technology not available in prior investigations into Kent State, demonstrated that there was a ‘command to fire’ at the student protesters. Moreover, the enhanced tape identified four pistol shots fired 70 seconds before the command as coming from a FBI informant’s pistol to create the ‘sound of sniper fire.’ Although the U.S. Department of Justice received this new evidence in 2010, the Department refused to examine the tape.

http://bit.ly/IOvOO7
Posted by: Lea

Re: This Date In History - 05/04/13 07:23 PM

Posted by: Pirate

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 06:35 AM

I remember those days...what secrets the government knows that we will never know...going back hundreds of years

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
I remember those days...what secrets the government knows that we will never know...going back hundreds of years

"...and it ain't over yet!"
Roger Waters
"4:41 AM (Sexual Revolution)"
"Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking"

May, 05, 2013
...and Media Suppression Is Alive & Well

Narry a hint of it here
but it's all over the BBC ABC & WorldNews

http://wn.com/

Posted by: DLC

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 05:01 PM

Listen children... what's that sound?

everybody knows what's going gown !! eek

Peace brothers !

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 06:18 PM

Still not a hint of anything in GOOGLE News

yet it's all over the ABC
Syria says Israeli attacks have escalated crisis

Meanwhile "Chatty Kathy" is STILL harping on Benghazi
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 06:43 PM

What's the big deal with Google news? It's been the single most important story on all the news shows on TV. It's the lead story in the Times on line--in fact, just updated a half hour ago.
Posted by: MrB

Re: This Date In History - 05/05/13 08:32 PM

Why is this such news worthy now in 2013?

43 years ago

150 years ago this time, the battle of Chancellorsville was taking place where 30,500 were killed including stonewall Jackson .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chancellorsville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Battle_of_Chancellorsville.png

Dave

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 12:11 AM

Sorry, the only reference I saw on TV was when
they broke in with a Special 'Breaking News' Report
just as I was passing into one of my diabetic mini-
comas...by the time I came to again, everyone was
saying that it was just another case of some news
source (CNN) wrongfully reporting a situation in
their rush to "scoop" everyone else... at which
time I got busy with other things, only occasionally
poking my favorite Cluster News Source (GoogleNews)
since it normally carries headlines from hundreds
of newspapers & sources to choose between, yet as
I said... there was NOTHING, not a hint for the next
2 days. It wasn't until I read a comment an link on
one of my Aussie Science forums that I was snapped
out of my blissful slumber. "WTF!?!" shocked

To Mr. B:
It was also in the same "chat" thread where someone
brought up the Kent State story and subsequent links...

Granted, you may be a few years older than myself whistle
but the Kent State massacre and cover-up happened
during MY Lifetime, and as such holds some relevance
to many of my g-g-generation. wink

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 01:55 AM

There was so much crap going on during that time and so much more since then, I was just wondering why the "odd" year anniversary was to be particularly newsworthy. Not that it wasn't a tragedy.

And yes,I am definitely in the old fart generation.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 07:40 AM

While Stonewall Jackson was wounded on May 5th/6th he did not die until May 10th 1863. I have visited his home in Lexington VA many times.

May 10, 1863:
Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson dies

The South loses one of its boldest and most colorful generals on this day, when 39-year-old Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson dies of pneumonia a week after his own troops accidentally fired on him during the Battle of Chancellorsville in Virginia. In the first two years of the war, Jackson terrorized Union commanders and led his army corps on bold and daring marches. He was the perfect complement to Robert E. Lee.

A native Virginian, Jackson grew up in poverty in Clarksburg, in the mountains of what is now West Virginia. Orphaned at an early age, Jackson was raised by relatives and became a shy, lonely young man. He had only a rudimentary education but secured an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point after another young man from the same congressional district turned down his appointment. Despite poor preparation, Jackson worked hard and graduated 17th in a class of 59 cadets.

Jackson went on to serve as an artillery officer during the Mexican War (1846-48), seeing action at Vera Cruz and Chapultepec. He earned three brevets for bravery in just six months and left the service in 1850 to teach at Virginia Military Institute (VMI). He was known as a difficult and eccentric classroom instructor, prone to strange and impromptu gestures in class. He was also a devout Presbyterian who refused to even talk of secular matters on the Sabbath. In 1859, Jackson led a group of VMI cadets to serve as gallows guards for the hanging of abolitionist John Brown.

When war broke out in 1861, Jackson became a brigadier general in command of five regiments raised in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. At the Battle of Bull Run in July 1861, Jackson earned distinction by leading the attack that secured an advantage for the Confederates. Confederate General Barnard Bee, trying to inspire his troops, exclaimed "there stands Jackson like a stone wall," and provided one of the most enduring monikers in history.

By 1862, Jackson was recognized as one of the most effective commanders in the Confederate army. Leading his force on one of the most brilliant campaigns in military history during the summer of 1862, Jackson marched around the Shenandoah Valley and held off three Union armies while providing relief for Confederates pinned down on the James Peninsula by George McClellan's army. He later rejoined the Army of Northern Virginia for the Seven Days battles, and his leadership was stellar at Second Bull Run in August 1862. He soon became Lee's most trusted corps commander.

The Battle of Chancellorsville was Lee's and Jackson's shining moment. Despite the fact that they faced an army twice the size of theirs, Lee daringly split his force and sent Jackson around the Union flank—a move that resulted in perhaps the Army of the Potomac's most stunning defeat of the war. When nightfall halted the attack, Jackson rode forward to reconnoiter the territory for another assault. But as he and his aides rode back to the lines, a group of Rebels opened fire. Jackson was hit three times, and a Southern bullet shattered his left arm, which had to be amputated the next day. Soon, pneumonia set in, and Jackson began to fade. He died, as he had wished, on the Sabbath, May 10, 1863, with these last words: "Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 09:24 AM

One of first Aps for my ipad was the Civil War Today from the history channel.

http://www.amazon.com/L.-J.-Martin/e/B002C4R5VO/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1367839685&sr=8-1

It follows the war as it is happening , day by day, both sides, exactly 150 years ago. So it's in the middle now. Being offered for half off, go figure. I don't follw it everyday but it sure is interesting . Lots of information . Sure there are glitches but for the few bucks its a great deal, IMO. Not sure what I paid , but like $6 or so. I've had it from near the start back in '01 in fall.
Dave

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 09:32 AM

Actually, we're probably about the same age
(2 old farts) KRIKEY, Sumbody Lite A MATCH!

I was just poking fun at your reference to
any relevance whatsoever to the Civil War
during a discussion concerning the 1960/70s.

Re: This Date In History - 05/06/13 09:40 AM

...same same...

the only relevance to any "STONEWALL" in my life
was The StoneWall Inn Dance Club in the West Village
where I'd dance dusk to dawn with my gay boyfriend.