Serious Problem

Posted by: DLC

Serious Problem - 04/29/13 12:46 PM

400 killed !! in building collapse.
and 600 missing !!

A fire down the street in another factory.

So it brings to mind our old friend Apple and Foxconn.

Don't know about the rest of you but I'm having real problems with this. It's not directly linked to any American company but indirectly ... and to me it's like slavery revisited all over again...

No they have a choice not to work there but they could also starve... it's more like an economic slavery. Is this the way the future world is headed. Everything the cheapest... and we as American consumers end up being the "economic slave owners" of much of the rest of the world ?

Thoughts? Comments ?

What do we do ? boycott ?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Serious Problem - 04/29/13 04:15 PM

Have not seen any cloths made in the USA for years
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Serious Problem - 04/29/13 04:25 PM

Had not seen that.
Think I'm going to be sick.

Re: Serious Problem - 04/29/13 05:03 PM

Sorry about that Nuke... I've seen too many of these stories and they're beginning to haunt me. I also think of countries even worse like N Korea, China where young men and women are working for $ a day, so a few can get filthy rich... and they're treated even worse.

It really comes down to " do you, me , we support this form of human slavery ? "

Then the big question - if you say "enough !"... WTF do we do to make an impact on it ?
It is damm depressing !!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 11:13 AM

You'd almost have to go naked to buy clothes that are only made in the US. 98% of all clothes sold here are made overseas. That is a shocking fact.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC

No they have a choice not to work there but they could also starve... it's more like an economic slavery. Is this the way the future world is headed. Everything the cheapest... and we as American consumers end up being the "economic slave owners" of much of the rest of the world ?

Thoughts? Comments ?

What do we do ? boycott ?

First off America is not the only country that depend on cheap labor. Why should only American consumers take up the "cause?" If they do, other countries who support these economic slave owner countries should take up the cause also.
Quote:
Bangladeshi government also has turned a blind eye to the working conditions. That's because it is motivated to entice retailers with low costs. Bangladesh's ready-made garments make up nearly 80% of the country's $24 billion in annual exports.

If these economic slave owner countries turn a blind eye, there is nothing another country can do.

I'm all for clean up your own mess at home first before cleaning up somebody else's mess first...........
Human Sexual Slavery is alive & well in the US. And I am NOT talking about just your normal street ho either.
Clean this up, then maybe we can talk.........

This is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 03:16 PM

You're absolutely right... start here !

But I will say I don't participate in that (sex worker service)! But there does need to be a crackdown on sex trade.
There are several problems: 1. laws too vague and weak, 2. penalties too lame even when applied, and 3 . not enough enforcers...

Between the sex trafficing, gun trafficing, and drug trafficing... out society is chaotic - out of control !! frown

There are some real MoFos in the world ... from sex trade to slave trade.

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 04:12 PM

~then again~

~JUST sayin'~

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 04:55 PM

Ex Presidential Candidate, Ross Perot warned about
NAFTA when Bill Clinton ran on a ticket supporting
it as a kind of Get-Rich-Scheme/Cure-All wherein
"3rd World Countries" would get needed industry,
and we'd benefit from a flood of inexpensive goods.

H. Ross Perot warned us that that "LOUD SUCKING
SOUND" would be our jobs leaving the country, and
instead of going to workers the money would be
taken and hoarded by the owners of sweat-shops,
while the workers would remain poor and become
economic slave labor, and furthermore, once the
factories and industries were gone, unemployment
would skyrocket and that no matter HOW cheap the
promised flood of shoddily made good sold for
the unemployed people couldn't afford to buy it.

...and "they" called him "crazy"... smirk
Posted by: MrB

Re: Serious Problem - 05/01/13 09:41 PM

That's too funny . smile

Dave
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 04:06 AM

Yes Boycott the companies who are making their products in these horrible sweatshops there.They care only about making money and nothing else.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Yes Boycott the companies who are making their products in these horrible sweatshops there.They care only about making money and nothing else.
Like I mentioned in my post, seeing as how 98% of the clothes we buy are made overseas, that poses quite a problem.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 05:07 AM

I'll gladly go nekkid....

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 05:42 AM

OK...
Speaking of BOYCOTTS

Here's another issue,
"Same Thing, Only Different"
(~Yogi Berra)

Welcome to
The "JUST BECAUSE WE CAN TAX"

Apple, Microsoft grilled over Australian prices

Why Australians are paying higher prices for technology

No longer content to charge OUTRAGEOUSLY INFLATED
freight charges on EVERYTHING including Computer Hardware,
even DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE, such as Adobe PHOTOSHOP costs
$2,500 MORE to purchase and download on-line! WTF?

Posted by: Pirate

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 07:26 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Going nekkid isn't all its cracked up to be....I went nekkid once....until someone came up to me and told me that I needed to take an iron to my birthday suit

Re: Serious Problem - 05/02/13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Going nekkid isn't all its cracked up to be....I went nekkid once....until someone came up to me and told me that I needed to take an iron to my birthday suit

I ken identify wit dat. frown