What do you think?

Posted by: yoyo52

What do you think? - 04/24/13 04:16 PM

I was talking to a student today--a Iraq War vet, 32 years old, really nice single father with a somewhat troublesome son--who told me that he had decided not to go into a teacher certification program here in PA because he had had a DUI conviction back when he was a youngster, and that in PA, if you have a DUI on your record, you can't get a teaching certificate.

So the question: does that rule make sense to you?
Posted by: Celandine

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 04:46 PM

no more than all the bullshirt busts for small
quantities that wreak kids entire lives, only
moreso since it's not even a controlled substance
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 06:03 PM

I don't know about DUIs.. but you can work at getting certain convictions expunged.
Posted by: DLC

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 06:22 PM

2 words - FOC NO !!
Hell everyone has done stupid things in their youth... ask W and he was POTUS !!
Coke is a lot worse than EtOH.
So a DUI can't be a teacher... when they're so short of good ones ! double crazy

He might be a great example to reach kids who are tempted since he's "Been there" !!
Encourage him to go for it and if they ask... write it off as the 'testosterone factor' ! wink
Posted by: carp

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 06:33 PM

I agree makes no sense.

Maybe I am wrong ? but certain things get taken off your record after so many years. Only felonies stay on forever. Well here they do.

So have him check his record if its not there , then great and don't even bring it up at interview time.

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I don't know about DUIs.. but you can work at getting certain convictions expunged.

http://www.duiattorney.com/dui-laws/expungement/

http://www.duiexpungement.com/

Re: What do you think? - 04/24/13 06:57 PM

Yeah, you can get it expunged, but I'm told that it's not cheap. I asked the chair of our ed. dept., who had been superintendent of a local school district for about 20 years, and he says that someone with a DUI on the record won't even be admitted into the ed. program. So it has to be expunged early--at whatever cost.

It's right up there with the case of a student in a university not too far from here, who uploaded up to her MySpace (a couple of years ago!) page a picture of herself holding two of those big red cups with amber-colored liquid in them. She got immediately dropped from the ed. program.
Posted by: steveg

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 03:03 AM

Only if it's a driving instructor gig. grin
Posted by: Mike

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 03:28 AM

Illinois will not issue you a teaching certificate with a DUI on record.
Strangely, if you are 'certificated'/ teaching and happen to get a DUI, you may get a 'reprimand' from your employer (district), or you may get nothing at all, it depends.
In one of our neighboring districts a driver education/PE high school teacher received a DUI. He was taken off his driver ed duties and given PE classes full time. No other disciplinary actions were taken by the school board.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 03:37 AM

That is not fair at all.To crucify someone years ago stinks to me.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 04:38 AM

That seems harsh.

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7

It's not that harsh when you look at the number of deaths caused by DUI.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7

It's not that harsh when you look at the number of deaths caused by DUI.

S'truth
no doubt that's the reasoning behind it,
but if the driver maintains a clean record
over the course of so many years it still
goes back to seeming excessive.

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 07:57 AM

I think it has nothing to do with deaths caused by DUI. I think it has everything to do with "being virtuous." It's the same point of view that made the woman who had the big red cups not worthy of being a teacher. Or that a couple or four decades ago made it impossible for a pregnant woman, in some states just a married woman, to be a teacher. PA is chock full of ridiculously repressive, regressive laws, and I think this is just one of them.

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 11:18 AM

You're looking at it through the lens of getting a teaching job. I was responding to marvs comment that it seemed a bit much/ harsh.
DUI laws were put in place, and have been getting stronger, to curb driving drunk fatalities. Not to keep some people out of teaching jobs.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 11:56 AM

Quote:
Not to keep some people out of teaching jobs.

Apparently this is a consequence of what yoyo is describing as discrimination.

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 01:33 PM

Apparently.
He made that point in the first post. Thanks.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: What do you think? - 04/25/13 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I think it has nothing to do with deaths caused by DUI. I think it has everything to do with "being virtuous." It's the same point of view that made the woman who had the big red cups not worthy of being a teacher. Or that a couple or four decades ago made it impossible for a pregnant woman, in some states just a married woman, to be a teacher. PA is chock full of ridiculously repressive, regressive laws, and I think this is just one of them.

Keeping someone out of a career for life is way too harsh. Truck drivers can be hired with DUIs in their past...I would think that would be more of an issue than teachers.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: What do you think? - 04/26/13 09:05 AM

Some truck drivers make more money than teaches