All Time Day Light Savings Time

Posted by: Pirate

All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 04:59 PM

Whats next...two times a year we have to change our time pieces for day light savings time....we buy devices that automatically change the time for us...now Missouri wants to make daylight savings time full time

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) The Missouri House has voted to move the state permanently to Daylight Saving Time, if a minimum of 19 other states do the same.

The House gave its approval Monday to legislation titled the "Daylight Saving as the New Standard Time Pact.

The measure provides that once 20 states join a pact to move their clocks one hour ahead for good, all would do so and let the return to standard time come and go without moving clocks back that fall.

Monday's vote sent the bill to the Missouri Senate. Lawmakers have until May 17 to approve legislation before adjourning their annual session.
Posted by: carp

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 07:01 PM

Makes sense to me, well the Southern states anyway. The more north you go the greater the time shift.

Hawaii the difference between winter and summer , just gets darker say about 40 minutes sooner , nothing to change a clock for. I think Marg told me Toronto is over 2 hours different ?
Posted by: DLC

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 07:36 PM

I'd vote to dump the changes... very annoying and really serves no purpose...

in case the Bozos haven't checked lately, things continue on after sunset !! DUH !! crazy

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 07:51 PM

Yep,

You just go to work when its a bit darker than summer. Thats about it.

As for way way up north , then changing the clock makes sense.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 08:01 PM

I'd like to keep DST all year round.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Makes sense to me, well the Southern states anyway. The more north you go the greater the time shift.

Hawaii the difference between winter and summer , just gets darker say about 40 minutes sooner , nothing to change a clock for. I think Marg told me Toronto is over 2 hours different ?
Actually it's a lot more than that. Here in Ohio the sun sets at around 5:15 in December, in June around 9:10, almost 4 hours later. In Toronto it's a half hour earlier in December than here, 4.5 hours difference from June to December.

I'm for year round DST.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 08:15 PM

This is handy. I see from the charts that sunset for you is around 7:15 in June, two hours earlier than here, but the difference between June and December for you is only about an hour and 15 minutes as compared to 4 hours here.

Interesting how it all works out though. We have 15 hours of daylight in June as compared to your 13, in December we have only 9 hours as compared to your 11.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 08:23 PM

I hear ya,

Believe me its more like 40 minutes.

4 hours ? wow. So what does turning up an hour do ? ?

Anyway I guess an hour is better than nothing -

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 08:42 PM

I guess the scientifically calculated charts are wrong, we should ask carp instead? smirk laugh

Damn you're thick headed, makes conversations so frustrating many times I don't even bother to respond.

Quote:
So what does turning up an hour do ? ?
For example, in December, when the sun sets at 5:15, for most people it's dark when they get home from work. If you change the clocks ahead it sets at 6:15 so they have some daylight left after work to run errands, work outside etc.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
I guess the scientifically calculated charts are wrong, we should ask carp instead? smirk laugh

Damn you're thick headed, makes conversations so frustrating many times I don't even bother to respond.

Quote:
For example, in December, when the sun sets at 5:15, for most people it's dark when they get home from work. If you change the clocks ahead it sets at 6:15 so they have some daylight left after work to run errands, work outside etc.

Ya just have to think ahead. I may not be able to composition well <- but really it makes sense. After all, I don't make this shiit up.

The charts are wrong - I live here <- get it now.
What this is the guess of dusk -vs- dawn.

I see this is total darkness - which is what this is really all about -not- this sunset and sunrise.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 09:54 PM

+1
When we got into it over Global Climate Change
he kept insisting we were going into another Ice Age
without understanding the principals of thermodynamics
in spite of graphs & charts

I considered holding him under water until he stopped struggling!
Quote:

but to respond to the topic:
It's all well & good for office workers,
"Just turn on the freakin' light!"

On the OTHER hand, my best friend is STILL A FARMER!
He already works from sun up to sundown 7 days a week
Now you'd have him going to work @ 1AM? ** WTF?

Recently I'd asked why the heck he was leaving
for work... "Isn't it SUNDAY There???"
I was told that he had another 3 thousand trees
to graft, and if the weather got another day
closer to winter, the sap would stop rising
and they'd be in danger of losing the entire crop

ummm just ANOTHER example of Another PoV
necessary to weigh in on these debates wink

((** disclaimer: that chart doesn't include
the calculation for anywhere other than the USA,
and I'm too tired to Google it @ 1AM tired ))

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/23/13 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
No Google needed, just click the Home link on the page. smile
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 03:07 AM

That IS handy. Roughly 6-7 hours difference here.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 03:18 AM

Looks like 3.5 hours here in the Miami area.
Unless you use Carps calendar... then it's 12 minutes. whistle

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 03:47 AM

No Google needed, just click the Home link on the page. smile

WOW! That's so kewl! cool

I just forwarded the link to Treebeard
in WaggaWagga, New South Wales.

He'll put it to good use being that he
organizes his working life around the
phases of the Moon, Sunrise/Sunset &
Day Length.

Thanx Heaps! grin
Posted by: steveg

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 03:58 AM

After six years, I still haven't gotten used to sunrise/set being almost an hour later than it is in the Northeast. confused

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
After six years, I still haven't gotten used to sunrise/set being almost an hour later than it is in the Northeast. confused
No it's not. Go outside and look, I live here, I no these things. smirk

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 07:58 AM

To funny. grin

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 08:14 AM

You too are hilarious. laugh
Posted by: Leslie

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 08:39 AM

Somewon is going two be callin' someone a grammer nazi soon if this keeps up.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 09:01 AM

Know soop for yoo! mad

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 12:32 PM

Nice day if it don't rain. smile

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Know soop for yoo! mad

LOL You sound like Nurse Diesel;

"You're LATE! You get No FruiT CUP!"

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 05:10 PM

When we got into it over Global Climate Change
he kept insisting we were going into another Ice Age
without understanding the principals of thermodynamics
in spite of graphs & charts

I considered holding him under water until he stopped struggling!

Thermohaline circulation

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 06:55 PM

Actually those comments came from Geologist who say we are headed into a mini ace age - it always gets warmer first. The real proof is in earths history written in stone.

I would believe a Geologist before Al Gore any day.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 07:47 PM

Actually those comments came from Geologist who say we are headed into a mini ace age - it always gets warmer first. The real proof is in earths history written in stone.

I would believe a Geologist before Al Gore any day.

What they say is true
but you're not comprehending the mechanism
driving that phenomenon:

An ice age can come about when the WARMING Climate melts a large body of Ice, that changes the salinity of the ocean, disrupting the deep sea upwelling
so in a back-assward way, they're right

The point is, they destroyed the deep sea currents by melting the Polar Ice Caps responsible for the exchange & distribution of the heat across the entire earth responsible for the temperate climate conducive to life as we know it now it's "all over the map" instead of the Jet Stream gently undulating across the continent, it's wildly snaking it's way across the nation like a roller coaster leaving tornados
and blizzards in it's wake

I'm half asleep
read the article for yourself it's not written by Al Gore
but by a scientist who's NOT being paid by
EXXON OIL or BP

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 08:08 PM

Hate to say it but there are so many conflicting articles - and studies by all kinds of experts , except from used car sales men.

I stand by my guns and will stick with what Geologist say <- even them don't all agree with in their own group. However the majority will point to the rocks and give you a history lesson , printed in stone and they can prove it.

Mind you that allot of these warming theories have done 5 year 10 or 15 maybe longer studies - but the Geologist can go back 50,000 years or more and point at the proof.

Anyway I do not disagree with global warming at all - - I do disagree that we puny humans are the cause of it all . I read somewhere a scientist gave a rate of blame that is somewhere between 95% to 98% all natural event. Simply it was going to happen anyway regardless if we all were driving cars or riding horses today. If any thing we pushed the warming clock up just a few years.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 09:21 PM

I think that on the whole real climatologists are in general agreement about all this stuff. You're right that there are a lot of conflicting articles--but almost without exception the conflicting stories come from people who (a) don't know what they're talking about (a geologist is not a climatologist, for instance) or (b) have a dog in the hunt (are associated with some political or industrial organization that wants to confuse the issues).
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/24/13 11:59 PM

As far as I'm concerned, for way way up north at the arctic circle it doesn't really make sense either. I dwell on the arctic circle, after all.

During the darkest period up here there's only a few hours of actual sunlight, and it's basically dark when you go to work, and it's dark when you get off. Besides, not that many people work in the fields anymore, but in offices, cubicles and factories. During the summer on the other hand - and ironically starting from around when the clocks are switched during springtime, it doesn't matter either, as the days are already getting long here.

For instance, today the sun rose at 4:54 am and it will set at 9:39 pm, the day being already 16 hours and 45 minutes long.

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/25/13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I think that on the whole real climatologists are in general agreement about all this stuff. You're right that there are a lot of conflicting articles--but almost without exception the conflicting stories come from people who (a) don't know what they're talking about (a geologist is not a climatologist, for instance) or (b) have a dog in the hunt (are associated with some political or industrial organization that wants to confuse the issues).

Union of Concerned Scientists

Global Warming Contrarians

ExxonMobil Report: Smoke Mirrors & Hot Air (2007)

Re: All Time Day Light Savings Time - 04/25/13 12:42 AM

instead of the Jet Stream gently undulating across the continent, it's wildly snaking it's way across the nation like a roller coaster leaving tornados
and blizzards in it's wake

This Summer's Forecast]

"Good Nite Mrs Calabash
...wherever you are." crazy