Incest App? WTF?!?!?

Posted by: Nana

Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 04:33 PM

Anti-incest app built by Iceland college students

The ═slendingaApp SES(Beta) built by Sad Engineer Studios.
A group of students at the University of Iceland in ReykjavÝk have created an Android app that prevents Icelanders from accidentally dating their cousins.

The app draws information from the ═slendingabˇk database, a national record of Iceland residents and family trees dating back into the Middle Ages.

Arnar A­alsteinsson, Alexander Helgason and Hßkon Bj÷rnsson, in their final year at the University of Iceland, entered and won an app-building contest sponsored by the tenders of the ═slendingabˇk database.

When you tap phones with someone who has the app, it brings up an alert if the owners of the two phones share a grandparent. (Of course, if you don't already know who you share a grandparent with, incest may be the least of your problems, but the team says it is looking into functionality for spotting common great grandparents, too.)

The feature is called "Sifjaspellsspillir" which directly translates to "Incest Destroyer," though the team prefers the phrase "Incest Spoiler."

The app has been downloaded 3,651 times at their last check, the team told NBC News. An app for the iPhone is very likely on the way, they say.

"Genealogy is the kind of the national hobby of Iceland," Fri­rik Sk˙lason, a software engineer who first started building the ═slendingabˇk database in the 1980s, told NBC News. "On average if you pick two people on the street at random you will find they are related 6 or 7 generations back."

The database was taken over by genetics company DeCode. ═slendingabˇk is now a free database for anyone with an Iceland national identification to use online, where they can trace relatives and their contact information.

"[Iceland] is a small community with extensive records gong back centuries, and everybody is related to everybody else," Sk˙lason told NBC News. "The database contains every single person who is currently alive or that we have been able to find any information about for the past 1,100 years."

He hasn't used the app himself, but Sk˙lason imagines it will make for good pickup lines at a bar. "My phone would really like to know if it's related to your phone ů there are possibilities," he says. Although, he adds, most people already know each others' close relatives well.

About two-thirds of the country has accessed the database at least once, he says, with spikes in activity during Christmas, "I guess when people are writing Christmas cards and trying to remember what is the name of Uncle Joe's third child and so on," and during the summer, when people plan the traditional family reunions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/anti-incest-app-built-iceland-college-students-1C9392483
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 05:10 PM

Umm. thanks for the alarmist title.. it's not an incest app.. it's an anti-incest app. grin
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 05:22 PM

It's more of an anti-have-sex-with-distant-relatives app. Which doesn't count as incest, but is more likely to happen, since generally speaking, you don't need an app to tell you who your immediate family are that you might commit incest with.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
It's more of an anti-have-sex-with-distant-relatives app. Which doesn't count as incest, but is more likely to happen, since generally speaking, you don't need an app to tell you who your immediate family are that you might commit incest with.

Ever heard of this song?

whistle
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 06:16 PM

Disagree.
You shouldn't be having sex with your cousin. ... even if they are 2-3 generations out.
But then again... you're in England.. so it may be a wee bit more permissible. laugh
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 06:27 PM

Read about this. Last name is no give away either, because Iceland still practices the old custom of your last name being your same gendered parents name with either -son or -dottir affixed to the end.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 11:10 PM

Never heard that song but this one came to my mind:

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be

This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed

This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife

And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad

For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother

Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son

My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild

'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa

I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know but it really is so
I'm my own grandpa

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/21/13 11:43 PM

It's not such an absurd idea given the circumstance;
One of the world's oldest & smallest populations
growing up in virtual isolation.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/22/13 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Disagree.
You shouldn't be having sex with your cousin. ... even if they are 2-3 generations out.
But then again... you're in England.. so it may be a wee bit more permissible. laugh

Not only in England...but right here in the Ozarks....Brother/sister relationships are out...but 1st. cousins are fair game....
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Incest App? WTF?!?!? - 04/22/13 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
It's not such an absurd idea given the circumstance;
One of the world's oldest & smallest populations
growing up in virtual isolation.

...not to mention long, cold nights
and limited cable TV & Internet... crazy